AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in New Orleans
See available hotels
View Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Bar/Lounge
Prytania Oaks Hotel(New Orleans)
Prytania Park(New Orleans)
  • Restaurant
Avenue Plaza Resort(New Orleans)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I booked 2 nights in a dorm bed over the phone. When I arrived they only had one night booked and said they didn't have a vacancy for the next night.
THEN they did, then they didn't, then they said they definitely did but they couldn't tell me which dorm until the afternoon.
THEN they didn't again, after I had waited until the afternoon - the guy on the desk said "I can say anything if I'm doing something else" - he couldn't care less.
THEN they had a private room for twice the price - when I said they had mucked me around and should really offer it to me for the same price they said "take it or leave it".
THEN they said they have a POLICY OF NO-ONE OVER 40 - ISN'T THAT ILLEGAL ???
THEN a young miss in the office told me I had 5 minutes to leave because she overheard me talking to an acqaintance about the situation.
THEN she said "no" when I asked them to call me a cab.
THEN they tried to get out of paying me back my key deposit. DON'T RISK IT.

Room Tip: tHE HOSTEL WILL DOUBTLESS TRY TO REFUTE THIS - BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. I have stayed in hostels all over the world for a long time - this is what happens when you don't hire competent people.Stay somewhere else or have nothing to do with the incompetent male desk clark and rude miss who were on duty in the afternoon of Jan 18th 2012 (not the new girl from the bayou, who is good)! The rooms are COLD anyway and they have bugs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank F P
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed there for five days, and that is literally the worst hostel I have stayed in ever!!!
the name is bourbon, but it's way far from bourbon, it's in the middle of nowhere
I saw a HUGE cockroach!
and the attitude of the stuff there was terrible, really rude!
also, the beds were extremely dangerous! they were really tall and there were no fence to keep you from dropping! and some are not by the wall, they are in the middle of the room.
by the way, there are no windows in the room
the soundproof of the wall is awful!
in a word, this is a terrible hostel!!!!!!!!!!!! it ruined my experience in New Orleans.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chen G
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This hostel was the final destination of our road trip. I kinda liked staying here, but that was more because I got used to this place after a couple of days. However, if I would go back to New Orleans, I would reconsider this hostel again. Let's agree: it's so cheap! And to be honest, what you get for that price is very reasonable. I loved the pancake breakfast and the spacious terrace behind the main building. It was very nice to sit there and chillax. We switched rooms 3 times (due to our late booking) and the first two were so so. The first one was small, with no windows, which made it hard to breathe at night. It got very hot in there, although we went in December. The second room was a dorm, with a separate entrance at the street. Hot as well. For one night it was ok, but I would have hated it if I had to stay there for a longer time. You have to enter the street first if you wanna go to the bathroom. Very inconvenient in the middle of the night especially. Oh, there was also no internet connection there. The last room was GREAT! It had a window and a comfy bed! Liked staying here for my last couple of nights. Room 11 it was!

The location is ok. It's very far from the French Quarter and the nearest street car stop is a ten minute walk, which is fine, but not late at night. Reconsider cabs! However, it's close to Walmart and Magazine Street!

Again: fun and great hostel for the price you have to pay! Miss the pancakes and the other guests over there.

Room Tip: Don't go for that big dorm room on the streets if you want a relaxing trip. We especially loved room 11, that one is for two people, and has a window.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2011

There is no ventilation in the rooms and 6 people fill the air with stench and humidity very quickly and its worse if anyone has drank, like the guy snoring louder than any one i have ever heard in my life. The mattress had a plastic cover over it which made me sweat. I could feel the springs in the mattress....lovely. I was still awake at 2 am. I told management about not being able to sleep and he immediately placed me in a private room at no extra charge. So at 2:30 am i used the bathroom which had no light, on my way back to my room i noticed the AC unit blows the hot vent air in the hallway. Its not healthy when an ac unit cycles its own air over and over. Poor guests! I feel so bad for those back in the room i vacated, hot with no ventilation. I get asthma when there is something in the air. There is something in the air here making me cough this morning. I went to the bathroom this morning in my sox. Stepped in water or pee, aaahhhhh! Its not such a bad place its just important to have proper ventilation and sleeping comfort. Ill say it again....PROPER VENTILATION. Thank you for moving me at 2am Jason

Room Tip: AC? Ventilation or atleast a window.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Great hostel, area felt very safe. 10 min walk to the St Charles Street Car to take you to the French Quarter. Comfortable room, very clean. Lovely, helpful staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo