“Perfect for backpackers.”

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect for backpackers.”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

If you're looking for a hostel which is cheap, clean, has a friendly vibe and is within a walkable distance to all the best tourist areas of New Orleans - heres your place.

I stayed there solo, met a whole bunch of different groups passing through who were welcoming and fun and can't say a bad word about it.

AAE is comfortable, secure, has fantastic staff (who will do their best to help you out with anything you ask), and is a chilled fun place where you can easily meet other young travellers and have a few beers.

If you're looking for something fancy, with a 2 minute walking distance to the French Quarter and with luxuries in every place you look then get ready to spend a whole lot more money because Bourbon House is not that.

What it is, is a extremely good place to stay, whether you want to party to chill out, you can find what you need.

My recommendation - stay there! And have an amazing time doing it :)

Room Tip: Female dorm is quieter and my favourite.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was disappointed by my stay in this house. For the price I think it's overrated. I literally slept in a closet.
The breakfast by the way was good and I enjoyed it.
The location is also not the best. But this place is still recommendable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I are seniors and stayed in a small private room for 6 nights during Mardi Gras.
Our rate was very reasonable, especially for a stay during Mardi Gras.
The staff is great, exceedingly helpful and friendly. The make-it-yourself from the batter AM pancakes are good as is the better than average coffee available, although one morning they ran out; fortunately I travel with my own and made a pot for all.

Free on-street parking. Although it's a long walk to the French Quarter, we did it every day, except one when we shared a cab with others.

There is a common room with a computer, TV, WIFI, laundry, a kitchen open from 8AM until midnight, and a large outdoor area for eating, socializing, etc.

On property ATM is handy; $2.50 charge for use is reasonable. However, their website says Credit Cards accepted, and they are NOT. We wouldn't have known if we hadn't called in advance, so we had cash with us. There are bars and restaurants that do not take credit cards; perhaps this is only during Mardi Gras.

Previously we've stayed in several hostels but mostly abroad where our experience was with properties that are neater, cleaner, old, but not run down, and with clearer rules regarding hours and noise. New Orleans is a party city, and it is a youth hostel. During our 6 night stay in a private room in the back building, the noise was not too bad, and everyone was very polite and tried to be considerate.

4 Bathrooms, so when they are full with 70 people, I believe, it's just not enough!

Besides the price and the staff, the best things were the folks we met of all ages staying here. Very interesting nice people of all ages with whom we had great conversations and good times.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I just returned from New Orleans where I stayed at the Bourbon Hotel for three nights. I have mixed feelings about this place.. and will try to be as comprehensive and fair as possible in my review.. Let me start with the positive attributes that this place has: 1) the staff is incredibly polite, competent and willing to help. I have interacted mostly with Shane who works in the morning and Megan and Maya who work night shifts but all of them have been incredibly helpful. this is a real plus.. it is not easy to find nice staff in crowded hostels 2) the staff has very good suggestions on great jazz concerts and live music events throughout the city.. so they will be able to help you decide where to go.... 3) the hostel is located in a non-touristy area.. this is - in a way - a plus... if you want to experience New Orleans in a different way.. and the hostel is also close to a Wallmart .. for cheap shopping. 4) the kitchen is good and well furnished, clean and available from 8 in the morning to midnight if you want to save money and do some cooking.. also in the morning they offer pancakes and free coffee.. which is also a plus 5) overall the facility is relatively clean, they have four bathrooms with showers and a very nice patio for guests to enjoy

Now on the NOT so positive side: 1) this place is the nosiest hostel I have ever been too in my entire life. I have traveled tons and stayed almost always in hostels.. but this is pure anarchy. People are allowed to come in and out with their key at ANY hour of the day and guests are mostly undergraduates on their spring break or young tourists from Australia and other countries. Just last week they had a group of Aussie guys.. they came in at 3 or 4 am in the morning, drunk, shouting in the hall and waking up everybody in the hostel. I had lots of troubles sleeping.. and this is a major downside for me.. particularly if you are in New Orleans to enjoy the city. THINK CAREFULLY about this because this can affect your ability to truly enjoy the city!!!! I underestimated the reviews about the noise.. but I should have paid more attention!
2) also on the downside.. this hostel is in a sort of doggy area.. when it gets dark it is not advisable particularly for girls and women to go around by themselves.. and it is quite far from the downtown area.. for instance if you want to go to the French Quarter and have some drinks and then return home.. think that you will have to walk roughly 25/30 minutes or take a cab for $15/18....
3) finally rooms are very crowded and small, bed are not comfortable... at all.. I am aware that this is a very cheap hostel.. again, think about it when you decide whether to book the hostel.

All in all, my staying in New Orleans was fabulous but the lack of sleep really affected my energy throughout the day.. this to me was a major downside of the accommodation. I hope the review helps.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Francesca G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We had a private room. Both bed sheets were dirty with hair and popcorn. Night staff encourages girls to hang out and talk loudly with him til 1.50 a.m... We asked them to quiet down twice 12 & 1.30 am. Clean bath rooms and good location friendly day staff but will not return. We simply couldnt sleep...one of the most horrible hostel experience.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank chicafromchicago
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Had a private room to myself which was really nice to have, but pretty expensive considering it was NYE. It was also really cold in the room itself. There were free pancakes in the morning, and you could come and go whenever you wanted to (no curfew). Staff were really friendly, always happy to help with anything. Met some great people while staying there. It was about a 20 min walk to the French Quarter, and it was very easy to get a street car from a few blocks away for a super cheap price to the quarter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The staff were super friendly and really helpful, especially with things like helping to book tours etc, I made a load of friends while staying here and I think that reflects on the hostel as well, as it is a nice laid back place with plenty of seating and tables outside to sit around and talk to people. The place has a good standard of cleanliness and is well air conditioned. My only little flaw with this place was that it is a bit of a trek to get to the touristy places. (and from my experience cab drivers in New Orleans are not that pleasant) but other than that I'd recommend this place to anyone, and would gladly stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo