“Hospitality and a great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunburst Inn Guest House
Ranked #53 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to book this place based on the pictures on their website. However, those pics really don't do it justice!

Our diamond room was very large, with high ceilings, a comfortable bed and a huge bathroom. The amenities provided were much better than in any hotel (that fridge you see in their picture: it's full with free goodies!), the guys were very nice and the common outdoor area is a very nice place to spend an hour resting if you have the time.

We wish we had spent more days at the Sunburst Inn, also because it's located quite close to the French Quarter, and more importantly Frenchman Street, as well as many cafes. It's also a safe area. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the diamond room and enjoyed it
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunburst Inn Guest House

Reviewed 4 April 2013

From the moment I checked into Sunburst Inn Guest House, I was amazed at the hospitality of the inn owners Darrell and Glen. They are both so accommodating and nothing is a problem for them. They immediately hooked me up with a cordless phone so I could call my friend and let him know I had arrived in New Orleans, they set up a computer in the dining room for me the next day for my own personal use, nothing was too much to ask for. I am very impressed with how much these gentlemen went out of their way to please me. It is not possible to get this kind of personal attention in the larger, impersonal hotels. I also love the accommodations at the Sunburst Inn Guest House. The Diamond Room, where I was staying, really does have stained glass diamond windows in both the bedroom and bathroom. The room came with plenty of amenities and left nothing to be desired, although I did ask for peanut butter and they were happy to provide it. There is a Bose music system in the room, a large flat screen television set up on a wall beside the very comfortable bed, all you need for the bathroom and a generous amount of food and drink in the well stocked room refrigerator. They even had a one cup gourmet coffee system set up which I particularly appreciated because that is how I like to start out my day. This is a first class operation without the first class prices to go along with it. I highly recommend these accomodations if you are going to be visiting New Orleans. The guesthouse is well located close to the French Quarter and you will be extremely happy here. Thanks guys for your attention to detail and for your friendly and accommodating style! Dave Hamilton

Room Tip: The room upstairs is very ample for a couple or a single but if you prefer more luxury there is a wo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This place is in the Marigny, a very hip, quiet, safe neighborhood just to the east of the French Quarter, within easy walking distance of both the French Quarter and the Frenchmen St. jazz clubs. The owners Darryl and Glen could not be more accommodating; they even arranged to let me stay one extra night on very short notice. The Sunburst is a charming house from the early 1900's (like most of the Marigny), with 12 foot high ceilings and the type of atmosphere you only get in New Orleans. I stayed in the upstairs Diamond Room; very nice room and bath, very affordable, very comfortable four poster bed. There is a nice cafe only a half block away, and a coffee shop only one and one half blocks away in the other direction. Both quite good and affordable. You can't go wrong with these lodgings. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: For one person, the upstairs Diamond Room is fine. There is also a suite downstairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Great location within walking distance of The Quarters. Our room is very comfortable and well furnished will all our needs. The hosts are very friendly and helpful. Will definetly recommend the Sunburst Inn!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jfulton3
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and stayed at Sunburst Inn from March 29 to April 3 while were in New Orleans for the NCAA Final Four. Suffice as it is to say accOmodations were at a premium as the city Was very busy and teeming with basketball fans from all over North America. We were very lucky to secure such a great place. The fridge was stocked with drinks and there was even a pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer.

From the moment we arrived we felt very much at home. We were greeted by Glen and he immediately provided us with a map and some very helpful and much appreciated tips on where to go (and where NOT to go) where to eat and where to drink. The nearby "Cake Cafe" was especially lovely and were certainly glad that he turned us onto that place (wonderful breakfast).

We stayed in the Suite and were very pleased with it. Comfy bed, great shower and expansive living area with couch chair and 50 inch TV nestled away in a beautiful armoire. We didn't watch much TV, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.

We were within easy walking distance - 15 min - to the French Quarter area and approximately 25 minutes to the Central Business District / Canal street. There are also literally dozens of great restraints, bars, bistros and cafes within an 8 block radius of the Sunburst Inn do there was no end of things to do. We were only in NOLA for 6 days so we came nowhere close to getting everywhere we wanted to go. Obviously we will be going back - hopefully sooner as opposed to later.

One thing I should mention that might cause some concern is the ride from the airport. The route we travelled in the taxi took us through some sketchy looking neighborhoods. My wife and were a little concerned right up to the moment that Glen opened the front door. However I am pleased to say that our fears were not well founded at all. In fact im a bit embarassed we felt that way.

The Marigny / Bywater neighborhood was great and the locals we met were unfailingly friendly and helpful. And as I mentioned earlier, there were so many things to see and do. And traveller safety was NEVER a concern - we always felt secure, even late at night. The lesson in all this? Don't Get freaked out during transport.

In closing, we loved our time in NOLA, and the Sunburst Inn played a big part in that. Without hesitation or reservation, we would recommend this place to anybody looking to stay in an interesting and eclectic area - somewhere other than the usual touristy areas of New Orleans.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank ChrisNRandi
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in this guest house. It was very clean and comfortable. It was also very affordable. The owners were very hospitable and friendly, we felt like we were guests in their house. It is in a great location, not a far walk to the quarter. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Why this place doesn't have dozens of five-star reviews I'm not sure. Perfect location, wonderful hosts, great accommodations. Great front porch for watching the street, sipping a drink and feeling like a local. The neighborhood is quiet and walkable with lots of little friendly coffee shops, etc. Our hosts recommendations were great, as well. Wonderful neighborhood in walking (ahem, stumbling...) distance from Frenchmen Street (which is way better than the quarter!): all sorts of wonderful music and restaurants.

Our little fridge of complimentary sodas and (pre-packaged) assortment of pastries, fruits and cereals were always re-stocked (a great thing as one night we were stuck inside during a bad thunderstorm). There are bowls, plates, silverware, a coffee maker, even wine glasses and an ice bucket if the mood strikes you!

My husband and I stayed in the suite on the first floor, which includes a living room with a huge TV. The bedroom isn't really separate but has doors and a curtain that can close if need be. There's even a computer to use when you're in the suite which was great for looking up local restaurants and guides while we were here.

The is absolutely the BEST value I have ever gotten in a place, in any city. For location, price, and everything that is included you just can't go wrong!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple