“Perfect Jazz Fest residence”

Oakview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #28 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Perfect Jazz Fest residence”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Three couples rented rooms at Oakview together for Jazz Fest. The rooms were wonderful; Russell was a gracious and loquacious host; and we were able to walk to the fairgrounds. The city park across the street gave us a wonderful place for morning walks as well.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I spent 3 wonderful days at the Oakview. The house and furnishings are elegant and comfortable and the hospitality is the best. Russell is very friendly and helpful and he makes a terrific breakfast. The location was great. We didn't have a car but we either walked or took the trolley everywhere. We loved the giant park across the street and enjoyed relaxing with a drink in the game room. I would highly recommend this B & B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Magnolia Room and loved it. From talking to other guests, all of them seemed please...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kadeda
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My Mother and I were in New Orleans to attend our first-ever Super Bowl. Neither of us had ever had the bed and breakfast experience and I must say, this first time was AMAZING for the both of us. Unlike every other lodging location in New Orleans, Russell's event pricing was extremely fair. I was skeptical at first, but after talking to Russell on the phone, that skepticism quickly left. Let me tell you...he is a good hearted, honest man who just enjoys opening his home to New Orleans visitors. When I spoke with him a month prior to arriving, he even recommended we switch to another room so that my Mom wouldn't have many steps to climb. We were in the Oak Room and it was FABULOUS. It overlooks the park and the sitting room was a nice touch for my Mom to enjoy as she got ready each morning following her shower. On this website, you may see other reviews that talk about Russell's biscuits and OH MY GOODNESS...they are some of the best biscuits Mom and I have ever had in our lives!!! That is a tremendous compliment because my late Grandmother made amazing biscuits and these were right up there with hers. On the 2nd day, we had New Orleans po' boys for breakfast. Still VERY good, but the biscuits actually spoil you!!! :-)

One of the reasons for selecting this B&B was location. It is short walking distance to the trolley stop that is at the end of one of the lines. It's great because it's an easy, inexpensive ride to the French Quarter and you don't have to worry about parking. Don't want to take the trolley? The bus stops just down the street as well. Additionally, the museum is walking distance which is a nice touch and the city park is beautiful. Did I mention Russell is Veteran friendly as well? Just mention to him you are a Veteran and he will definitely give you the red carpet treatment.

I've visited New Orleans on several occasions and can honestly say you won't find a better place to stay than the Oakview Bed and Breakfast. Russell, thank you for making the Super Bowl trip absolutely spectacular for my Mother and Me and for treating us like family. We will definitely check your availability first whenever we visit New Orleans in the future. Thanks again!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are BEAUTIFUL.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I felt like a guest in Russell's home! Rather than staying in a cold, downtown hotel, I opted for this small, B&B for a convention I attended and absolutely feel the Oakview made my stay.
From the moment I arrived after a long day of travel, I was relaxing in the living room with complimentary libation and informative conversation from Russell, the owner, making sure that all my needs and questions were set. Breakfast each day was great with phenomenal biscuits or egg po boys, a great way to start the day. I stayed in the Asian Willow room which was most comfortable from the bed to the whirlpool tub. Utilizing the free wifi throughout the house, I was able to both work, and keep in touch in a very relaxed, comfortable home.
I travelled downtown via the trolley which stopped just at the corner. This is the way to experience the city. The transportation was affordable, efficient and clean. I almost felt like a local.
The B&B is in a rather upscale neighborhood, just across the street from City Park. I was in walking distance to museums, sculpture gardens, a bayou, cemeteries, great restaurants (Ralph's on the Park and Degas to mention two), coffee / beignet shop and one of the most beautiful parks I have ever experienced. The running paths were awesome. Staying here absolutely made my New Orleans experience far more enjoyable then simply being immersed in the downtown environment. I cannot wait to visit the Oakview again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Phoenix
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We went for the Super Bowl Weekend. Had a great stay at the Oakview. Russell was very accommidating. We stayed in the Cypress Room and it was spacious. The BandB is just across from the Trolley Line and Bus Line which goes straight to the French Quarter. Also across the street from the City Park, so in a safe neighborhood. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We had a quick visit this weekend to enjoy Mardi Gras. We loved Oakview-- so charming, and close enough to the Edymion Mardi Gras parade (which by the way was happily very family friendly), but a few blocks away to be peaceful. Russell was the perfect southern gentleman host, which being from the North we appreciated. It made us fall in love with New Orleans even more-- will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Russ was super accommodating - great breakfasts, drinks available all the time, good advice. And the house is beautiful. We stayed in the Asian Willow room, which had a very high enclosed bed, which I found a bit inconvenient, so I'd recommend choosing another room. But apart from that the stay was brilliant.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashton's Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 138 in New Orleans
Garden District
Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast

Been to Oakview Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!