“Great Po-boy's, even if a bit expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mahony's Po-Boy Shop
Ranked #192 of 1,918 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$1 - US$12
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Description: (504) 899-3374
McFarland, Wisconsin
“Great Po-boy's, even if a bit expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our first stop after arriving in New Orleans as we needed some lunch and heard about it on DDD. Was a neat old house turned into a restaurant. I had the shrimp & fried green tomato po-boy and my wife had the muffaletta. Both were very good, sloppy (in a good way), and came with a ton of fries. A bit slow considering the place wasn't overly busy, but otherwise a great meal.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Tasty but expensive and tiny portions.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We walked miles and miles to find the highly recommended Mahony's Po-Boys. Myself and boyfriend ordered the special with the fried oyster. It was really tasty but left us a bit empty. When the bill came we couldn't believe the price. Over €35 for two 6inch sandwiches. Staff were very nice and the resturant was nice and airy.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Poboys here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stopped here on our way back home to get a Po-Boy for the ride. Ordered the Fried oyster "Peacekeeper" which had the bacon and cheese on it. The foot long was $25, a little pricey to me but it was really worth it. The bread was fresh and crusty and the oysters were fried to perfection.
This sandwich did not include the mayo, lettuce & tomatoes which would have made it even better, with just the cheese and bacon on it it was dry but still very good.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank 4westies
Haddam, Connecticut
“Po-boy stop, a good one one the "do do" list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We read several reviews of places to eat for trying po-boys and this eatery always seemed to be on the top 10. I look for easy to get to, easy to eat at and family friendly since I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old, and of course good reviews on the food. I was not disappointed. We went in the early afternoon, not too busy but we had to wait for a table of 7 since we had other family with us. They were very accommodating and we waited about 20 minutes. We ordered the onion rings which were shaved style, very good and the kids loved them! For po-boys we had the fried shrimp and the roast beef. The bread was very good, not to bulky. The roast beef had just enough gravy so you were not having it drip all over you, fully dressed, was very tasty. The shrimp was not bad, average fried shrimp sandwich, would have loved maybe a sauce also on it but I am not the chef so don't quote me on that. I am sure if I asked, they would have put it on. The waiters were timely, helpful and even refilled the kid drinks for when we were leaving. Over all, worth a stop for trying po-boys.

• Visited August 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“The Place for Poboys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Since introducing my wife to Mahoney's, it has become one of our regulars. I'm sure they have other wonderful menu items but my wife and I are stuck on the catfish po-boy and roast beef po-boy respectively. Just thinking about it now makes me want to go get one. Also, if you haven't tried their gravy fries, you haven't lived.

• Visited July 2014