“Very disappointed”

Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Pier 424 is a unique Bourbon Street destination offering a wide selection of fresh, local seafood prepared daily in a market-style setting. Select from all the freshest fare-oysters, lobsters, boiled seafood and fresh fish-served in traditional dishes. Features include one of the largest oyster bars in the city and covered balcony for dining and enjoying the city’s world famous people watching.
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I wanted a restaurant where we could dine on the balcony and watch people on Bourbon Street. When we walked ing and asked to a balcony table, one of the hostesses very rudely said "yes yes oh my please sit on the balcony!" Apparently we weren't the first to ask for a table on the balcony. We got our seats, and ordered drinks but they were out of Dr. Pepper. We ordered an appetizer and then decided on crab legs. The waiter had to go ask if they had them. They didn't, so we ordered mussels instead. The waiter had to ask AGAIN and then we learned they had nothing except shrimp from their boiled menu. We canceled our order for the appetizer and left. Very disappointing experience all around.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have never had a meal like this in my life, but I do blame myself. I had researched and researched but my 22 yr old daughter and I had taken a nap after a long day of sightseeing and I failed to make reservations, so we just decided to stroll down the French Quarter and "pick a place" to eat. Bad move. We went to this so called restaurant and sat at the filthiest bar I have ever seen and I had a frozen shrimp Po boy with bread that was like a brick and the french fries were stone cold. We couldn't complain because the bartender Raymond was too busy watching the basketball game and he didn't return until he brought the check. Our food was untouched and when I complained, he said, "sorry" and proceeded to run my credit card. We ate at some lovely places, but PLEASE save yourself and don't go in here. My daughter got the gumbo and was ill (won't go into details) the next 24 hrs. BAD! BAD! BAD!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Fríed aligator tender and moist, excellent gumbo! Portions could be a little bigger for the price but hey! It's Bourbon street right? Overall good atmosphere, nice restaurant and good food!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great shrimp and grits! The grits were in a patty form and deep fried the shrimp were tasty and the sauce was good. My daughter, not a seafood person, had the hamburger and ate every bite. We tried the crab claws for an appetizer and the were different. They were marinated and unique, not your typical crab claws. We ate pretty late and did not have trouble getting a table inside, but wish we could have sat upstairs. the waitress was nice, friendly and helpful, until we asked to split the bill. We had 10 people and needed to split it 3 ways. didn't seem too hard. Anyway, it took her 3 times to get it right. I have learned that next time I'm in New Orleans, i am brining lots of cash and keeping track of my amount on my phone, because most places won't split the bills and if they do it takes forever and it is usually wrong. Even with this issue, I would be back for the shrimp and grits and to sit on the upstairs patio!

1  Thank LakelandLady87
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Being in town for Essencefest and being first-timers to New Orleans we went in search of somewhere to eat in the French Quarter. We chose this restaurant as it didn't have that sleazy look characteristic of other eateries on Bourbon Street.
We were seated quickly...our waitress was pretty friendly. On perusal of the menu my husband and I chose the turtle soup, the Creole seafoodpasta and the trio platter. First off, we loved the turtle soup! We had only one issue with it and that was we wished it had been hot to taste (it was warm almost cold). We also enjoyed the Creole seafood pasta (I kept going into my husband's plate) and the trio platter.

All in all we were impressed and chose to revisit them 2 days later.

For this sitting we took a while to be seated (it was the eve of Essencefest). The restaurant was full but our waitress attended to us very promptly. We again went with the turtle soup .....yummy... and this time it was hot :-) We also tried the fried Alligator and the Lobster and I had the Creole seafood pasta. Yes the food is good!

Good food yes...pricey yes! For the both of us we ran up a $50+ bill. The gratuity is also standard (I was not impressed by this). The service is ok, suitable not exceptional.

Would we go again after having been twice...yes!

Been to Pier 424 Seafood Market? Share your experiences!