Kayak-iti-Yat Original Kayaking Tours of New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Locally owned, family run. Capture New Orleans from a different perspective. Kayak our beautiful bayou as we guide you along our historic waterway. We'll keep with the pace of the city--nice and easy, taking in the southern scenery, hospitality and weather. We offer three tours of varying levels of physical demand and kayaking experience. Taking place on natural, but urban Bayou St. John, paddles focus on history and ecology of the area and New Orleans. Our tours cover pretty much anything and all things relevant to the waterways and the surrounding neighborhoods. Our website is loaded with information! There you can find full descriptions of each tour, directions to our launch, and even quickly reserve your tour by clicking one of the yellow "book now" buttons.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Awesome”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My boyfriend and I did the bayou tour and it was awesome- it was a small group, only 4 of us plus the guide, which made it personal and so enjoyable. The guide was friendly and kept the entire tour interesting. I was a little nervous to go on such a long tour but in the end it was an amazing experience and he kept the right pace for everyone in the group. I would recommend it to anyone!!

Visited May 2014

Iowa City, Iowa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Do something different”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I did the 4 hour Pontchartrain Paddle up St John's Bayou and back. Wonderful! This was probably our biggest highlight of our visit to New Orleans. We took the street car out to City Park and was able to get away from the city as we paddled peacefully up the bayou and back. Sonny was our guide and was a great wealth of knowledge of nature, history, current events, local food and other attractions. I urge you to get out there, do something different and give this a try.

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great after-Jazz Fest adventure!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

After 3 days of crowds and heat at the jazz fest I needed an open air journey, and I'm so lucky that I chose Sonny & Sara's Kayakitiyak's wonderful tour through Bayou Bienvenue. They are two professional and down-to-earth people with great equipment, guiding, & email communication. When everyone arrived it was quite windy and they offered to cancel the trip if we wished, but we were all experienced paddlers and decided to go ahead - and we are glad we did! Sonny, who did our tour, was well informed about the natural history and general history of the Bayou, Their pre-trip info provided all the details we could need to know, including the names of a great taxi driver and what to bring. They are thoughtful people and the business is small enough to give great personal attention.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Discerning_travel_10
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A wonderful way to see”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

My husband I spent a wonderful morning kayaking the environs of New Orleans. Our guides Sara and Sonny made this easy for us by us recommending a lovely cab driver to pick us up from our b&b. We almost missed this experience because we didn't think we could get there on time. We saw lovely birds and looked over the skyline of New Orleans. Sonny was eager to educate us on the history and flora and fauna of this unique area and also gave us valuable advice to better enjoy Jazzfest.

Visited April 2014
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Get out of the city!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a fantastic time on the Bayou Bienvenue trip. We had Sonny as a guide and he is great. He is knowledgeable about both the natural environment, the local history, and the current politics effecting the bayou. He also had some great tips for French Quarter sights. Every friend, relative or acquaintance of ours going to New Orleans will know that a trip with Kayakitiyat is the best thing you can do during the day. Weather plays a big part of this trip and we were lucky to have a beautiful day out on the water.
Specifically as a birder, the trip was fantastic. I came away with 60 different species in just a few hours! That included five that I had never seen prior to setting out that day. I can not recommend this more highly. Get out of the city, skip the noisy airboats, see the natural bayou.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jesse D
kayakitiyat, Owner at Kayak-iti-Yat Original Kayaking Tours of New Orleans, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Hey Jesse,
Thank you for the great review and I must say I really enjoyed kayaking with y'all. The photos you took are amazing! The birding right now on Bayou Bienvenue is stellar. I went out yesterday and saw 3 different greebs. Hope to kayak with you soon.
Sonny and Sara