“Just Bad”

Mojitos Rum Bar & Grill
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Mojitos Rum Bar & Grill is the friendly place on Frenchmen wherepeople come for great Creole inspired Caribbean influenced food, handcrafted cocktails, and live local music. Guests enjoy the lush green courtyard, one of the largest in the French Quarter, with its expansive bar and gurgling fountain. The owners have worked hard to create a welcoming place to relax and enjoy wonderful food and drink that isn’t found in every tourist place in the Quarter. The collection of artisanal aged rums, for tasting or blending into favorite cocktails, grows weekly.
New York, New York, United States
“Just Bad”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was by far the worst restaurant I've ever been to, and I'm far from being a snob or demanding, or picky about food, so this says a lot coming from me. I've always been one to not pay too much attention to bad reviews, because I know some people are just never happy, but my review is definitely not the case. I'm actually baffled by the good reviews, but to each its own.

I should have known it was gonna be a long night when I asked the guy who escorted us in, where the restrooms were, and he said he didnt know. Thats it, don't know and goodbye.
It was about 20 minutes before our waitress showed up and that's because we asked another waiter to please find who our waitress was. So after apologizing profusely, she took our order. Fair enough. After asking for 2 different items on the menu only to be told they ran out of both, I settled for an appetizer sampler and a side of fries. They have 3 differently named fries, so I asked what the difference was. She had no idea, and left to find out, coming back 10 minutes later with the answer.

It was another 15 minutes before she brought our drinks and at that point she tells me they ran out of wings, which was one of the 3 items on the sampler dish. With limited options, I ask if she can replace with a small serving of Jambalaya, which was on the menu. Said she'd find out. Never came back to confirm, just showed up 20 minutes later with the food. So basically, since
we arrived, we waited 45 minutes to get our drinks and about 1 hour for the food.

The wings we there, "oh I guess they did have some", she said. They were the blandest wings ever. Again, not a picky eater but they had no seasoning. Nothing. The other items were chips and salsa, and spinach and artichoke dip. The chips were basically a pile of the broken bottom chips of a tostitos bag, and again, the blandest mix of salsa ever. The spinach and artichoke dip was clearly frozen and was pretty bad as well. She never brought the fries, and by the time we
saw her again, she came back with the check, and of course the fries were on the check.

Let me add that it was not even remotely busy. There were 4 tables out of about 10, and the inside of the restaurant was completely empty. Pretty empty considering it was a Friday night. She was waiting on another table of about 8 people and she kept apologizing to them, not sure why but I can only imagine. Every time she came back to us she kept bad mouthing them saying that she was taking so long because of them and that they were foreigners and rude (very unprofessional). She never came around to see how everything was or if we needed more drinks. Actually, I wanted another drink and got so tired of waiting that I went to the bar myself, came back with the drink, and she still had not stopped by. After a certain point my sister and I couldn't stop laughing because it was so bad it was comical.

The only thing that was nice was the courtyard, and the location near Frenchman . They advertise Salsa Friday's which was one of the deciding factors for picking this place, but that didn't happen either.

Overall just bad, bad, bad.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mildred P

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Worth checking out local talent in the lower French Quarter!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Quite little corner place in lower French quarter. Great patio area with stage and fountain courtyard. Always great local bands and food and Rum! Get the bread pudding for a dessert or just get it!

• Visited February 2014
Mchenry, Illinois
“Our Nola favorite!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were headed to another restaurant when we heard this great music that drew us to a very quaint outdoor courtyard with beautiful flowers and nice low lighting. So we stayed and we were not disappointed! The food was really, really great and we all thought the Mojitos were the best we'd ever had. Our waiter was super attentive and nice. Overall impeccable service! We loved it so much we HAD to go back our last night and I still have cravings for their gumbo and crab cakes.

• Visited November 2013
Berkeley, California
“Different Menu”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We went here based on the menu they have on the internet. It was a different menu, although the food was good. It took forever to get food and drinks, but the live music more than compensated for that. We were lucky to see Kyndra Joi (where R&B meets Funk & marries soul). After dinner and the music show, we ambled up Frenchmen St to continue the musical experience.

• Visited January 2014
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Great music, good drinks, don't order food ”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Great Blues! Good drinks, service was slow and take out food order was fouled. Ordered roast beef w gravy and fries, soup and jambalaya. Beef was tough and very spicy, gravy was not identifiable and tasteless, fries were OK, we odd and did not get the soup but we received 2 "gravy" containers. Jambalaya was tasteless and there were only 3 pieces that tasted like hot dogs. We charged incorrectly as well. Would go back for music only!!