“Excellent choice”

Ranked #82 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Tennessee
“Excellent choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed two nights here and thought it was an excellent choice. The bellmen out front were eager to help with our luggage and the check in process was very quick. We had a suite so we had room to relax in the living room area without having to lay on the bed. We had a small microwave and refrigerator to store cold drinks in. We had an adequate supply of towels and the bathroom toiletries were nice. Our King size bed seemed to sink a little in the middle, but was otherwise comforatable. The concierge was very helpful in setting us up with a city tour. He was very nice and informative. The breakfast in the restaurant was all you can eat buffet and it was very good. I loved the gravy!!! I had an omelet one morning and it was delicious. The roof pool was nice with comfortable lounge chairs, just didn't have time to enjoy it. It is within walking distance of several nice restaurants and the port. We were able to walk down to the port and catch the street car to the marketplace. If you don't have a car, you will probably be doing a lot of walking or spending money on cabs. We were able to walk to the french quarter and down to bourbon street, but it was quite a ways and would never have made it back to the hotel if we could not have gotten a cab. We had a wonderful stay in New Orleans and thought the Hilton Garden was great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed for a week at this hotel to attend a small conference. This hotel is in the industrial area of New Orleans and it is quite a bit of walk to the French Quarter or anything else. If you are planning to stay here, I recommend you have a rental car or be prepared to get around town via taxi. One thing I learned about taxi service in New Orleans is that sometimes it’s difficult to flag one down off the street. The best thing to do is to find a cabbie who is willing to give you his card, so that when you need a taxi, you can contact him via cell phone.
The best feature of this hotel is the outstanding staff who were friendly, helpful, and professional. Also the hearty breakfast for $12 isn’t bad either. The breakfast option includes: eggs prepared any style (even omelette), grits, bacon, sausages, Boudin, oatmeal, pastries, fruits, and yogurt. I like the fact that you place your egg order and watch the cook prepare it in front of you.
The down side to this hotel is their bed. It had a thick, memory foam like top, but it rested on top of a very firm mattress. I tossed and turned all night trying to find a comfortable spot, but never found one. I’m rating this hotel at 4 stars, because the staff was so great.

1 Thank Annabelle3
Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn is very comfortable, friendly, and modern. There is a great garden outback perfect for that relaxing moment. Everything is perfect, like Hilton, in the room. But the best thing is the friendly folks down front. Michael the concierge offers to help you in any way possible and he has done this same thing every time I have stayed at this hotel. The front desk crew is the friendliest and most helpful, including empathy for tired travelers like me with special requests! Thanks so much y'all. This is the third time I have stayed here and I recommend this safe, clean, up to date, quiet, quality boutique-like hotel if you are going for a conference, shopping, casino, or tourist visit to downtown New Orleans. And its walking distance to a great NOLA restaurant they recommended: Cochon! And also the WWII museum. (P.S. Nobody paid me to write this! I just love this hotel. Ha!)

Room Tip: Choose a room on back over looking the garden.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Utica New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The proximity to the convention center is great and the staff are very pleasant. The room was poor. The bathroom was small and cramped, the carpeting was dirty and dated. Water pressure was poor and toilets flushed poorly. There were few amenities, no continental breakfast and the other food was expensive for what you received. It was noisey.

1 Thank lshaw2
courtney m, Assistant to the GM at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Ishaw2,
Thank you for your valuable review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and that you found our team members pleasant. I do apologize about the issues you encountered with your room. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering departments, and they have addressed your concerns. Although we do not offer complimentary continental breakfast, many of our guests rave about the unlimited breakfast buffet which not only includes fresh fruit, pastries and cereal, but also French toast and omelets cooked to order, a waffle station, and a variety of other hot and cold options to choose from. I hope you will consider choosing us for your next trip to New Orleans, and I look forward to the opportunity of giving you an excellent experience on your next stay.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I was there for a 6 day conference and was dreading it as they are not a 5 star hotel. I picked it for proximity to the Ernest Morial Convention Centre and it is excellent, about a 5 min stroll.

Overall I was happy and would stay there again.

I did not eat there, so cannot comment on the food.

The good:
I found all the staff super friendly and very helpful and responsive.
The room size is good, the beds were comfy and the bathroom was functional.
It was clean when I arrived.
Sleep quality excellent - beds were comfy (and I have a bad back) and the room was quiet.
Free wifi and decent connection so I could Skype my friends and family.
Nice lobby and bar - not luxurious, but definitely pleasant.
Easy walking distance to the French Quarter. Good cab service from the hotel to where ever you want to go.

Improvement opportunities:
I had packages delivered and they don't bother to tell you if they've arrived. You have to follow up.
No room service after 9pm. Shop is very limited with food offerings.
The daily cleaning was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes bins not emptied, carpet not vacuumed, beverages not replenished. Annoying but I can live with it.
I asked for my bath plug to be repaired 3 times so that I could have a bath. It never happened! I got a knock on the door at 6:30am (eek!) from a repairman offering to do it then. I asked him to come back later. Later never happened. The shower was fine, so I just made do.
The laundry facilities are TERRIBLE. The washer does not work properly (my clothes were wet, smelled a little of detergent, but stains did not come out) and the driers just don't work. I had hot wet clothes which I then creatively dried in my room at 11pm. NOT GOOD and potentially very stressful. The laundry service is ok but not timely and it is expensive. TIP - find another service place to do your laundry if you are there more than 3 days and need stuff done.

Greensboro, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Less than expected service at front desk and dining experience was least of any HGIs i have used in the past, and I frequent the properties with over 150 nights a year Overpriced for location and parking. Okay for business location, but poor for tourist convenience.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

John S,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable review. I apologize that we failed to provide you with the service you have come to expect when staying at a Hilton family property. We pride ourselves on our excellent service, and the experience you described is not indicative of the high standards we strive for. I have shared your feedback with the Front Desk and Food & Beverage departments, and your concerns have been addressed. Although our proximity to the New Orleans Convention Center does lend itself to guests who are travelling for business, our guests travelling for pleasure also enjoy our location, as it is within walking distance of many of the attractions of the area. I hope you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to New Orleans, so we may have the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve when staying with Hilton.

upstate ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I told my travel companion that the only thing this hotel had going for it was its proximity to Riverwalk which I had not seen in 18 yrs. Guess what? Riverwalk was CLOSED. Until 2014. Did not think I had to check into that before I left home. Very poor location for seeing anything, period. Unless you enjoy expensive cab fares. And really I am so sick of hailing cabs now the very idea gives me a headache. Even if I was taking a cruise or wanting to see the WWII museum--I would not stay in this location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sandrine66,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that our location was not convenient for your trip to New Orleans. Many guests enjoy our close proximity to the attractions of downtown New Orleans, including the WWII museum, the Port of New Orleans, and the Convention Center. We are about a 15-20 minute walk to the French Quarter, but many of our guests appreciate being a little farther from the noise and traffic experienced there. We are excited about the renovation going on at the Riverwalk, and we are looking forward to its re-opening as an outlet shopping center, which will include such stores as Neiman Marcus and Tiffany & Co. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to New Orleans.