“A lovely surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lafayette
“A lovely surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We came to New Orleans after my husband attended a course in Lafayette and were so pleasantly surprised with our room (although it had a terrible musty smell that we eventually got used to). My daughter said that we had a patio and upon opening we discovered we were directly poolside! What a great location for the kids! They loved the instant access to the beautiful pool and patio area (book the 8th floor poolside, you won't be disappointed)!!

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The parking was great, we parked our car and walked everywhere. The area is a bit sketchy....and I would have liked to be closer to the French Quarter but rooms were limited as it was Jazz Fest.

Thanks for a great stay and we would surely recommend and stay again....in an 8th floor poolside room!

Room Tip: Pool side - 8th Floor!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sherri F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here last October and found that the hotel was both a good value for the money (didn't realize that New Orleans hotels were so expensive) and it was a great location. Just a 10-15 minute walk to Bourbon street. The city is so small and walkable that I felt that it was nice to get a little away from the hustle and bustle of Bourbon St. The rooms were nice and clean. The surrounding areas seemed to be a little run down and sketchy but unfortunately that is how most of New Orleans looks after Katrina aside from Bourbon. A few restaurants just down the street if you need to grab a quick bite and this would be a great location for anyone in town hoping to catch a Saints game.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Southport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Travelled from the UK to stay 4th-6th April. Booked my room July 2013,10 months in advance and pre paid $600 for a poolside room of which my children chose. Arrived 6.30pm so not late nor early,given a room went to find it in use on the 18th floor, given another room again on the 18th floor, these were not poolside!
On return to reception the receptionist had the cheek to tell me I had not booked a poolside, so I had my email at hand and I had a few corresponding emails from when I had questions about the room when I booked, she said she would call for the hotel manager, they did not arrive, a deputy manager did and told me she had given my room to someone else as they were oversold!
And basically nothing they can do, so what's the point in booking and paying 10 months in advance?? They have been making interest on my money since July last year.
She did eventually agree to a 50% refund and being so tired and jet lagged I agreed to it.
The room itself was clean and spacious but the balcony doors didn't shut properly so we heard every little noise from the street.
On departure I actually had to go and ask for the refund as nothing had been done and was informed it would take approx 3 to 5 days to go on my credit card, not much help when your catching a cruise so can't check your balance.
The area outside the hotel isn't the best and improvements are being made, but lots of derelict buildings.
On a positive note the restaurant staff were great with us and the children, very chatty and friendly.
I think this would of been a great stay if you stick to the rules first booked gets the room!
We shall not be returning if we visit New Orleans again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lehallie
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
I am truly sorry for the error with your room type and I understand the incident in addition to how it was handled was a disappointment. I cannot change what happened during your stay. However, I assure you your story will be shared with our entire team so we can learn from this mistake. Please reconsider giving us a second chance. I’d be more than happy to personally book your next stay and ensure it goes swimmingly! We genuinely take guest feedback to heart and great pride in our service, I have no doubt we can win you back should you chose to return!

Corinne Smundin
Director of Guest Services
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were very surprised to see a Holiday Inn of this quality! WE loved it here. All the staff are incredibly happy and helpful. Managers, consierges, front desk staff, wait staff, security, houskeeping and the bartenders with a special hello to Scott. Everyone was very helpful to these 4 Canadians visiting New Orleans for the first time. We loved the original Andy Warhol! The rest of the artwook throughout the hotel is impressive as well. The entry, very well done.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The staff are what makes this hotel great. Patrice at the Front Desk and Roosevelt at the bell desk were GREAT! The rooms are very spacious, and decor is cool. The streets around the hotel are noisy though so be prepared. Bathroom needs some TLC, but overall it's a great property!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank D C
East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here April 9-14 for French Quarter Fest. Our room was very nice. The furniture and general decor are updated. The bed was really comfortable. There was a fridge and microwave in the room.

We ate breakfast in the hotel most mornings. They are have a standard buffet for $14. I had mushroom and cheese omlette most days for $8.

It is easy to get to the French Quarter from the hotel...two blocks one way is Canal; one block another way is Poydras. You are up at the top of those roads, though and it is about a 15-20 minute walk to Jackson Square. There is supposedly a trolley line near the hotel, but I didn't use it.

There is a Walgreens nearby and two restaurants that we found.
I got a cab from Frenchman Street back to the hotel one night and it cost $7

Room Tip: We stayed on the 16 floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for seven nights during 'Wrestlemania Week'.

The hotel is in a great location, a five minute walk to the Superdome and arena, and around ten minutes from Bourbon Street and Canal Street.

The rooms are large, comfy and clean with everything you need in there.

All of the staff were fantastic and very helpful and informative with any questions we had.

There is a flat rate of $33 in a cab to and from the airport which reception can arrange for you.

If I was back in New Orleans I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014
#64 of 162 in New Orleans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,408 reviews
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#109 of 162 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!