“A good value, no big complaints, but...”

Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
DC
“A good value, no big complaints, but...”
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I stayed here on a covention weekend when just about every hotel room walking distance to downtown/French Quarter areas were booked, so I felt lucky to get a room here at a decent price (hotel prices in general can go double or more when the city gets booked). There were postives and negatives, but I also adjusted my expectations based on the price compared to other hotels in the area:

POSITIVES:
1) Walking distance to downtown and French Quarter. It's an easy walk to Bourbon St; longer walk to main tourist area in French Quarter by the river, but easy enough if you like to walk, and Canal St is an interesting stroll to get there. But there is a negative to the walking location too, see NEGATIVES (1) below.
2) Good value for your money, especially during busy times when hotel prices get ridiculously inflated. On a non-busy weekend I probably would have stayed somewhere else though.
3) Room was decent size; temperature control was convenient and worked well; bed and pillows were VERY comfortable - the mild back pain I usually get at home was gone during my sleep here! I was not bothered by any significant noise, though it is a downtown area and you can hear traffic now and then.
4) Customer service in lobby and restaurant was adequate and attentive for the most part when I initiated.
5) Free WiFi was nice to have - many hotels in the area charge extra for it.

NEGATIVES
1) The problem though with the walking location is that this hotel is about 4-5 blocks outside the "safe" zone, and walking those last few blocks either during the day or especially after dark is unnerving. I'm a pretty bold traveler (and I can run fast) but I felt very nervous during that part of my walks back and forth. Unsavory characters will stake out the street, spot you from a distance and cleverly approach you to see if you are a good target. One time I actually walked into the middle of Loyola street to avoid being cornered after dark. If you are not so bold, take the free shuttle or a cab, or walk in a group.
2) Hallways and rooms are showing a little bit of "wear and tear" and need some updating or simple fixups. It really didn't bother me though, just don't expect perfection.
3) Room cleanliness could have been a little bit better - dirty doorframes from the sinks splashing, dirty windows, cigarette butts on the balcony. But it was minor stuff.
4) When I tried to check in they told me the computers were down and couldn't verify any reservations, so I sat in the lobby for 1.5 hours while they tried to start their computers. That was very frustrating and a bad start to my weekend. After 1.5 hours the manager decided to assign rooms and take notes on paper until the computers came back. Good idea, and she was nice enough to approach me to check me in without me having to go back repeatedly to ask. But that should have been done right away not after 1.5 hours.
5) I asked for a late checkout, but the desk person failed to tell me (and someone else behind me) that the key would not work after 12, so it was an extra trip down to the lobby to ask why my key didn't work. Please tell people this up front when they ask for a late checkout. Just another little annoying and frustrating thing that can be easily avoided.
6) Breakfast buffet was not good. Overcooked (powdered?) eggs, ran out of fruit (remaining citrus-soaked, browning melon chunks were disgusting), solidifying gravy for the biscuits couldn't even be scraped out of the pot, no bread or toaster, very limited choices. Not worth it - avoid it - go to IHOP on Canal St. about 5-10 min walk.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LikeButter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beaumont, TX
Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel is so loud at night. All the we heard was sirens and music blasting from passing cars. We parked in the garage and they never gave us the "brown parking garage key". When we checked out, they girl at the front desk told us to pay cash for the parking but when we tried to leave the garage, the guy asked us for the brown key. We told him we had given the front desk clerk cash for the parking. After much hesitation, he let us out of the garage. It seemed like a scam. The rooms are older and could use updating. It wasn't that far from the French Quarter, easily walkable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Frankfort
Reviewed 31 October 2010

This hotel website advertises In room safes, since we were traveling with valuables this was important to us. Our room had no safe, when questioning the desk staff, they argued several times that room 1210 had no safe, didn't want to go up and see for themselves just wanted to argue about it.
We were forced to take one of their "plastice safe deposit boxes" at the desk. We load this plastic box with our valuables and leave to go to the French Quarter. The inevitable happens and we lose the key. We are told by Donna it will cost $200.00 to replace the key to this box to have access to our stuff. We argue this is unfair since we took the box due to their false advertising. We are willing to pay $50-60 but that its. She says she will leave a voice mail for the manager and he will call us the next day. Never does. we end up having to pay $150.00 to get this box opened. We never see the lock smith, never see a bill but are forced to pay this $150.00 to retrieve our stuff. We are moved to a room with a safe, but only after they had to have a maintenance man go to three different room to finally find one with a safe. So much for their website.
Sunday brunch which is nothing special gets jacked up by $3.00 more due the Saints being in town, even the drinks at breakfast get increased by a $1.00. The waitress in their dining room couldn't smile or be friendly if it kill ed them The food is just average at best. The entire hotel staff seemed to have the attitude of don't give a damm. They advertise a jazz club in the hotel. If you call a bar with about 12 seats a jazz club.
We will never stay at this place again. Linda and Dale Hart Kentucky

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
boston,massachusetts
Reviewed 26 October 2010

This hotel is right around the corner from the Superdome, about a 4 block walk to the main Post Office, 6 to the Union Station & about a 15 minute walk to the French Quarter. The hotel shuttle stops & picks-up at the French Quarter, the Casino, Hospitals, the Riverwalk, the Convention Ctr., and the World War II Museum. The shuttle stops only at the cruise terminal but will not pick up.

When I checked in, I made the mistake of taking the first room available which was 1515 & had a view of the back of the hotel. The confirmation said the view would be of the city. After several more room changes I was finally given 1723; the room had a view of the city (which the confirmation said), room for my laptop, refrigerator & microwave.

I was told there are no restaurants nearby which is false. There are 2 Subway food shops about a 2 blocks walk each, an Italian restaurant less than 1 block away, several restaurants near Union & Baronne, just to name a few. Of note, there is a Walgreen’s about a 2 block walk and a CVS on Canal St. about a 15 minute walk. It took me about 30-45 minutes to walk from the hotel to the Mississippi River, but I tend to take my time & view the surroundings. If you are going to eat at the hotel, eat in the bar area. The service is faster & you have 2 tv’s to watch.

The Hotel does not tell you everything. I am a priority member and should have been told at check-in that we are entitled to breakfast on the 18th floor for free. I found this out from the waitress while eating supper the 1st day I arrived.

I was at the hotel during a home game held at the Superdrome. Although I was warned by others that the hotel would be hectic, it was not.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank paul k
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Although this hotel is ver close to the Superdome there are some problems. First the staff at the front desk are not very friendly or helpful. It always seems like you are bothering them, from checkin to printing boarding passes or just asking area questions. If you are only going to the game this is a great location. If you are heading to Bourbon Street it is in walking distance but this side of Canal Street is not very safe. I would recommend a cab at about eight dollars each way. The room is fine and the food at the Hotel Restaurant just fine.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nancyfromwoodward
Brighton, Colorado
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Superdome for two nights before embarking on a Caribbean cruise. The hotel was very helpful in providing a crib for my 14 month old daughter, rollaway beds for the teenagers, breakfast vouchers and shuttles as we needed them. We had 22 family members staying in the hotel and we were all very satisfied.

My only complaints were the terrible breakfast buffet (and the attempt to charge my daughter full buffet price when she merely ate a few bites from my plate) and the noise level from the street (they were filming The Green Lantern a block away).

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Spent 5 days at this facility as it was very close to the customer's downtown office. I am a Platinum member and have spent 30 weeks on the road this year, all at Holiday Inn properties. Although I have had excellent treatment at all the hotels I have stayed in, this one set the bar to new heights. The staff treated me like a very special guest. The upgrade was more than I expected. Another nice feature is the Concierge Room on the top floor which is available to Priority Club members. They even upgraded my colleague, even though he is just starting his road warrior cycle. I thought that was a touch of class by the manager. Rates were reasonable for the area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Your feedback means a lot, and we hope to see you again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!