I stayed here on a covention weekend when just about every hotel room walking distance to downtown/French Quarter areas were booked, so I felt lucky to get a room here at a decent price (hotel prices in general can go double or more when the city gets booked). There were postives and negatives, but I also adjusted my expectations based on the price compared to other hotels in the area:
1) Walking distance to downtown and French Quarter. It's an easy walk to Bourbon St; longer walk to main tourist area in French Quarter by the river, but easy enough if you like to walk, and Canal St is an interesting stroll to get there. But there is a negative to the walking location too, see NEGATIVES (1) below.
2) Good value for your money, especially during busy times when hotel prices get ridiculously inflated. On a non-busy weekend I probably would have stayed somewhere else though.
3) Room was decent size; temperature control was convenient and worked well; bed and pillows were VERY comfortable - the mild back pain I usually get at home was gone during my sleep here! I was not bothered by any significant noise, though it is a downtown area and you can hear traffic now and then.
4) Customer service in lobby and restaurant was adequate and attentive for the most part when I initiated.
5) Free WiFi was nice to have - many hotels in the area charge extra for it.
1) The problem though with the walking location is that this hotel is about 4-5 blocks outside the "safe" zone, and walking those last few blocks either during the day or especially after dark is unnerving. I'm a pretty bold traveler (and I can run fast) but I felt very nervous during that part of my walks back and forth. Unsavory characters will stake out the street, spot you from a distance and cleverly approach you to see if you are a good target. One time I actually walked into the middle of Loyola street to avoid being cornered after dark. If you are not so bold, take the free shuttle or a cab, or walk in a group.
2) Hallways and rooms are showing a little bit of "wear and tear" and need some updating or simple fixups. It really didn't bother me though, just don't expect perfection.
3) Room cleanliness could have been a little bit better - dirty doorframes from the sinks splashing, dirty windows, cigarette butts on the balcony. But it was minor stuff.
4) When I tried to check in they told me the computers were down and couldn't verify any reservations, so I sat in the lobby for 1.5 hours while they tried to start their computers. That was very frustrating and a bad start to my weekend. After 1.5 hours the manager decided to assign rooms and take notes on paper until the computers came back. Good idea, and she was nice enough to approach me to check me in without me having to go back repeatedly to ask. But that should have been done right away not after 1.5 hours.
5) I asked for a late checkout, but the desk person failed to tell me (and someone else behind me) that the key would not work after 12, so it was an extra trip down to the lobby to ask why my key didn't work. Please tell people this up front when they ask for a late checkout. Just another little annoying and frustrating thing that can be easily avoided.
6) Breakfast buffet was not good. Overcooked (powdered?) eggs, ran out of fruit (remaining citrus-soaked, browning melon chunks were disgusting), solidifying gravy for the biscuits couldn't even be scraped out of the pot, no bread or toaster, very limited choices. Not worth it - avoid it - go to IHOP on Canal St. about 5-10 min walk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a refreshed Holiday Inn! Visit the recipient of the Customer Service Excellence award by IHG. Rooms feature Simmons pillow top mattresses and new pillow options. Relax in our courtesy area shuttle. Savor fresh coffee and pastries daily. Stay connected with FREE wireless. Plunge in our large rooftop pool and energize in our fitness center. Our full service property offers tantalizing meals morning, noon and night. Adult beverage options showcased in our Mardi Gras Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda, Hotels.com, TravelUp, IHG, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, HRS and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome Hotel New Orleans
- Downtown Superdome Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn New Orleans
- New Orleans Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Superdome