“Terrible banquet food”

Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Alexandria, I
“Terrible banquet food”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

A group of some hundred of us ate at a banquet room at the hotel, and ALL the food was terrible: raw fillets, raw catfish, and raw chicken (really raw, as in indeible raw). I do not know of anyone who could eat the meal. I never saw so much wasted food in my life. Complaints fell on deaf ears; not one waiter offered, after practically being begged, to do anything about problems. They just took the plates away.

The hotel itself was nice and the rest of the staff were cooperative.

My suggestion: Do not ever attend a banquet. If you do, eat before you go--there won't be anything edible other than a small piece of pie.

John Matthew

• Stayed February 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Feb. 13th and 14th, my family and I stayed at this hotel. We were there because my father was having brain surgery at Tulane. To tell the truth my wife and I were a bit scared to be in the heart of New Orleans. All we have ever heard is horror stories from the area. The stay at this hotel really put us at ease. When we arrived we were greeted by the smiling faces of Patrice Cooper, Kevin Sattler, and Brad Viet. Mrs. Cooper began to check us in and asked why were we the there. After telling her, you could tell she was empathetic to our situation. She and the other two gentle men went out of their way to ensure our stay was more than just comfortable. They made sure we had maps of the city, suggested kid friendly restaurants, and even gave us coupons to the zoo. They thought it would be a good idea to help keep the kids calm through our ordeal if we took them to the zoo. Boy were they right. My kids had a blast both at the zoo and the fine hotel. We will be back to New Orleans again, this time for a friendly visit, and we will surely be stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome! Thank you all so much!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We had some hesitancy about staying here due to negative review. Our experience was great. Room very nice size, clean and well appointed. You can leave your car in their garage while on a cruise, saving us more than the price of the room. Free shuttle to the dock, but you have to reserve a seat. It was a $7 per person taxi ride back. Would certainly recommend this hotel for this reason.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank virginiaMO
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 February 2011

The customer service at this hotel was excellent. Juanita, Donna, and Shelly especially. Our group had some initial problems which were quickly sorted and fixed by this excellent staff. Any special requests or accomidations were taken care of at our request. Our group was very pleased with not only the appearance of the hotel, but the customer service. It was a pleasant experience to know that great customer service still exists. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing accomidations for an event or for personal travel. Thanks Holiday Inn!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Hotel is located right outside the French Quarter. They provided great Free shuttle to the French Quarter and Harrah's Casino and other stops along with way. Rooms were nice - great food and value in the restaurant. Comfortable lounge area to have a cocktail.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The hotel is undergoing some changes that will make a great place to stay even better. Rooms are being renovated and the new decor is beautiful.. The new chef is making some great changes to the menu.
For those complaining about location or proximity to the Quarter, the hotel shuttle will get you to a number of areas quickly (quarter, WWII museum, Riverwalk, Casino). If you choose to walk to the quarter, use Gravier instead of Loyala until you get to Carondlet and you'll have a quieter route. I've walked alone during the day to Canal on Loyala and never had a problem with comments from those waiting for the bus. As noted by another reviewer, I would recommend walking in pairs in the evening.
As in the past, a big strength of the hotel is the fantastic staff. From the front desk to the shuttle to the dining room, everyone is friendly and helpful. Kudos to all and special thanks to Patrice and Donna at the front desk, John for courteous & patience in handling shuttle passengers, and Javanna, Daneka and Alina for excellent restaurant service!

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I only stayed here overnight but I felt completely pampered the entire time. The room was spotless, well furnished, and decorated with jazz/New Orleans related pictures. There was free internet access and the staff kindly assisted me with logging on. I opted for room service despite the expense and I was not disappointed in either the food or the serving staff (I highly recommend the California omelet for breakfast, it was delish!). I think the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, making much needed sleep impossible NOT to get. The hotel was pricier than places I would normally stay, but I felt it was well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tnredhead80
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!