“Not the greatest stay but comfortable bed”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #107 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The bellman who greeted me were super sweet and helpful and our bed was really comfortable but I just am used to a staying somewhere a little more upscale when I go to New Orleans . I was here for a quick trip so I was fine, but I wouldn't be happy staying here more than one night. It just seemed like a place they were trying to figure out how to run a hotel ? It's a good place, but just not for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback about your recent stay at the hotel. I am sad to learn that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I would be interested in learning more about your experience, and what would make our hotel more desirable to travelers like you who are looking for luxury and comfort while visiting New Orleans.

At your convenience, you may reach me directly at (504) 962-0903.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel modern before we left for a cruise, our flight was delayed and we didn't get into New Orleans until very late the girl that checked us in was very nice and efficient. I know it was late but she looked like she had been asleep herself. Our room was very clean and the bathroom was HUGE! we didn't have much of a view but didn't mind because we were just there to sleep. The next morning the staff was very helpful with the checkout and getting us a taxi to go to the port. The only downside I thought was that I could not figure out the bedding there was only a sheet to cover up with luckily I had brought my own blanket or I would have froze! This hotel was great for the value and I would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay at the hotel. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be accommodating and helpful.

Please contact us directly next time you plan on returning to New Orleans, and inquire about our repeat guest discount program.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Fantastic value for a beautiful, clean and comfortable hotel in a great location near WWII museum and Art District. Got deal, for $5 got full breakfast for my wife and I. Highly recommend staying here...just make sure you ask about overriding motion detector driven AC in room.

• Stayed: July 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

We are delighted that you took advantage of our summer promotion Best Available + 5. We look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

the night staff was very weird and lacked communication skills. Be prepared to pay $50 hold for accidentals. Overall, very nice hotel the room was very clean and nice. I only stayed there for a couple of hours so I didn't get the full experience. But I accomplished what I went there for...sleeping for a couple of hours until check-in for my other hotel.

1  Thank Britney C

Thank you for your valuable feedback and comments. I hope that next time you are able to stay a little longer and fully enjoy the hotel. Until next time, be well.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We have just completed a two night stay at The Hotel Modern. It's very nicely done. The beds are comfy and the staff is excellent. The hotel is located with easy access to the St. Charles street car line, and is near CBD and Warehouse District, not a far drive to the French Quarter or Garden District. The rooms are on the smaller side, but are well designed and comfortable. Baths are large. Great place to stay.

2  Thank Jami S

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and your recent visit. We hope you make the Hotel Modern your new home in New Orleans. Visit us again soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel was in a great location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Staying at The Hotel Modern was a unique experience for me. I especially enjoyed the parrot that greets the guests. In addition, I was grateful that this hotel allowed me to bring my dog along. There is a lot of grass in the vicinity as well as dog friendly restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lisa C

We are glad that you were able to bring your dog along on your trip to New Orleans. Did you take any pictures with Ms. Scarlett? We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by the friendly doorman. As we walked into the hotel we were confused about where to check-in. There was a young guy standing by a desk but he completely ignored us. I wasn't sure he worked there. I asked him where we could check-in and he replied "right here, why?" It took me about 2 seconds to realize he was high out of his mind. He would just stare and ask me to repeat everything. I had to ask him if he was ok. He seemed really paranoid. Then he started ranting incoherently about other guests and the air conditioning and then asked us if we wanted to see his pet bird. It was about 10:30pm and we just wanted to check in. Not surprisingly, he could not find our reservation made through A travel website. About 15 mins later a young woman came out from the back and said they found it and we were all set. Only to find out that after we checked out the next day, they charged my credit card. The room was nice and the decor was pretty cool and unique. It could be a great hotel with the right staff. To be fair, some of the staff we encountered seemed friendly and competent. There are obviously a few bad apples which can ruin whole experience.

7  Thank StandingByZed
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

We are terribly sorry to learn that your arrival at the hotel was not as smooth as it should, and I appreciate your comments and feedback about our staff.

I hope that this experience does not discourage you from returning to the hotel and give us another chance. Please contact me directly at 504-962-0903 in order to obtain your information and discuss opportunities for you to enjoy another trip to New Orleans.