“Tool Cool for School” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tunnel Hill, Georgia
“Tool Cool for School”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were so excited to try a new hotel in New Orleans, what a big disappointment. My husband saw this hotel on a travel channel and wanted to stay here, it sounded great to me too.
We arrived at the hotel and you just have to stand around at the "check in desk" and wait on someone to appear (no bell to ring). Kind of weird.
We go to our room which was right across from the elevator. I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room, which they accommodated. We went to our newly assigned room on the 2nd floor in another building connected to the main hotel. This room was just ok. (I booked a medium room btw) It did not look that new or modern but ok. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well until about 600am when the employees of the restaurant located on the first floor started coming to work. We could hear a door slamming approximately every 30 seconds for the next 45 mins. We were up for the day after this annoyance. (Which happened every morning!)
Our room was cleaned the first day but I had to leave a note for housekeeping to leave wash cloths the next day. They forgot to leave more coffee also.
The last day of our 3 night stay I put the "please clean room sign" on our door and when we returned to our room that afternoon, the sign had been turned to "shh do not disturb" and our room was not cleaned. I searched the hallway for the housekeeper and noticied numerous "shh do not disturb signs on the room doors", just more than I have ever observed in other hotels.
I went downstairs (waited for an appearance of an employee) and asked for towels. I was told "the linens just arrived, I will send some up to your room". This was 400pm in the afternoon and the place was just now getting clean towels.
We will not stay here again as the number one criteria I need for a hotel is a place to sleep and not to be repeatedly awakened at the crack of dawn. The employee entrance door that slams needs to be addressed by management.
Management should spend the night in the hotel and listen to this racket to understand how loud it is in your room.
The location of the hotel was fine on the St Charles line. The outside of the hotel and the lobby looked clean and when you could find an employee they were very nice and helpful. This hotel is just not up to any kind of professional standards and seems to be trying to be trendy and just forgot the basics.

Room Tip: I have no idea, seems overpriced to me since we go to New Orleans every year and have stayed in seve...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bbearden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Indonesian first
Cerritos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very good experience, price was very reasonable, highly recommend this hotel to all travelers coming to New Orleans. The restaurant has a nice view of the street, close to 4 museums, can purchase any art on display in the hotel. About half mile away from Convention Center, bring good tennis shoes, lots of walking!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cindy P
marietta GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

PROS
quiet
neat vibe - quirky style, parrot in lobby, no traditional check in desk, hip furnishings
umbrella in room a nice touch for rainy new orleans
right on street car line
bikes for rent to get around
affordable
loved the bed table to use computer in bed
strong wifi signal
friendly staff

CONS
kind of off by itself - not in french qutr or garden district or convention center - this could be a pro as well
not much very close by - only one c-store across street, few restaurants or stores
had to go outside between sections of hotel to get to my room - stinks if raining
pay parking (but not too outrageous)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Wanted to give what seemed like a cool hotel a chance on my recent trip to New Orleans, big disappointment. Lets start with room. The bed was very uncomfortable, seemed little more than a fancy futon. Towels and coffee in the room were hit and miss. When we inquired we were told they ran out! Two of the towels looked like they had been used to shine shoes with the black streaks on them. But the worst part of the room was the plumbing. We were able to hear every toilet flush, hand washing and shower all around us with the rattling pipes. So between this and the bed we got very little rest. This was not even the worst part of our stay, breakfast was the worst dinning experience I think I have ever had. The hotel was full with a convention in town and it was clear they were short staffed. Ok I get it, but we had to basically beg to have our order taken and it took 3 times for the waiter to bring our coffee. The menus had what was described as a kale and mushroom omelette, sounded good so that is what I ordered. Well after waiting for over 30 minutes I was delivered a cherry tomato one and when I said that was not what was on the menu the waiter rudely informed me that the omelette a where chefs choice and was what I ordered. I asked for it to be taken back and replaced with the scrambled egg plate he did so with an attitude. What I got back was a plate with a scrambled egg. The others in our party were equally disappointed in their meal. They couldn't even bother to toast the bread! I had about enough of the poor service and asked to speak to a manager. The front desk person told me the managers were in a meeting and she would see what she could do. I was shocked to see what was sent out to me was the housekeeping manager! She listened to my complaint with little real attention and suggested that they could remake the omelette!!! Really, do I really need to give them another chance on food? I asked to not pay for breakfast and she did comp our meal. I have worked as a waitress and am in management and can't understand why you would not step up, stop the meeting and tend to your guests when your restaurant is under water. We watched at least 10 tables sit down, be ignored and leave. They did redeem them selves a bit with the happy hour in the bar. We finished our day and were waiting for some others so decided to have a cocktail. The bar tender was great....great history of the cocktails we had and was fun to speak with. So, I would suggest staying elsewhere but stopping by for an afternoon drink!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wendy R
Venice, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Being a Nola native, wasn't sure what to expect from The Hotel Modern- but it was absolutely amazing! The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were hip and comfortable and you really cannot beat the location! We were able to walk to great neighborhood gems, take the street car uptown and a short cab ride away from the Quarter. The bloody mary bar at Tivoli & Lee was superb- as was their shrimp and grits! Will definitely be staying here for my next trip to Nola.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I spent 4 nights at The Hotel Modern this past weekend and we enjoyed every minute of it! The staff was friendly upon our arrival, the décor was a refreshing change from other cookie cutter hotels, and the location really couldn't be better. We were able to walk to the Superdome for a game, catch the streetcar to go uptown, and had plenty of options within walking distance for food, drinks, or entertainment. However, the hotel restaurant and bar were pretty hard to beat! Brunch at Tivoli & Lee w/ the Bloody Mary bar is the perfect way to start a Saturday in New Orleans. Needless to say, I look for to staying at The Hotel Modern again soon!

2 Thank Kelsey D
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Kelsey and Family,

We are thrilled that you truly embraced all what the hotel has to offer in just one weekend. Hopefully next time you and your family visit the hotel the Pirates will have better luck.
texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was our 1st time to stay here. "LargeRoom"(#408) was not that large. The 1 window looked out on a solid brick wall building next door. Comfortable bed. Reception upon arrival was..different, as no one was there. When we were finally noticed, we were asked to 'wait'. Check in seemed confusing to the staff.We asked if there was room service,"yes, a menu is located next to phone on desk in room". We did not have a menu, so we called reception and they sent one up. We were told to place our order the next morning. We tried, but we were told "room service was canceled. sorry." We could order and come down and take it out. Housekeeping seems to be the downfall at this hotel: trash was not always emptied, soap bar not replenished,along w coffee cups and CLEAN glasses. We had to call reception for ice, bath linens, clean glasses, paper coffee cups, an iron & ironing board. One day there were NO bath towels left after our room had been "cleaned". During our stay, we left a handwritten list of items we requested(trash out, cups, glasses, etc) and it was mostly ignored. Many of the white bath towels were stained with unattractive black streaks. The reception entrance is quite nice with interesting art & colorful decor. Ice water at desk for guests is a welcome touch. The location is convenient. The Bellocq Bar was the nicest part of the stay. Creative bar, fun, lovely staff-highly recommend a visit here ! I would not recommend Hotel Modern or return due to the lack of interest in the Housekeeping Department.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to review your most recent visit to the hotel, and share the breakdowns experienced.

Although you have shared a great deal of information, I will be contacting you directly and learn more about your stay that will help us our continuous efforts to improve upon our hotel and services.