“Great Location and Trendy Rooms!”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #104 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for a work trip over the Halloween weekend. We were curious about this hotel as it was part of our Expedia Deal and didnt know much about it. We were so incredibly pleased with our stay! The hotel was very chic with a upclass funky New Orleans feel. Super unique to any Marriott or Hilton where they are the same everywhere you go. We were so happy that we actually FELT like we were staying in New Orleans. The rooms themselves offer unique layouts and if you are lucky you might get a room that's painted with your favorite color on the accent wall! The rooms had everything we needed and the hotel itself was in a great location. Walking distance to Jazz city-walk(15 min) Bourban (25min) and not far from the Garden District in a cab. We would definitely stay here again as the staff is pleasant and so is their bird Scarlet! Also loved the outdoor seating/lounge areas and next door bar with a super funky and eclectic atmosphere. Planning to come back for Jazz fest but no work and all play this time :)

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a large bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Overall the stay was great. Was greeted every time we came and left. The bed was comfortable and the room had everything we needed. The service for breakfast was just okay. And we had some issues with the valet. Other than those couple of problems, I would say it was a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were in town for a family wedding and traveling with two little girls. Hotel Modern was a great location (near D-Day museum, Children's museum, right on the streetcar line and between uptown and the FQ, which is where the wedding events were), and a better deal than what we could book in the FQ for the same weekend. The hotel itself was clean and nice. The staff was very welcoming and kind espcially to my children. They patiently let the girls hold Scarlett the parrot almost everytime we passed through the lobby. We are frequent visitors to New Orleans and will remember this place for future trips.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and could hear street noise at night. Higher up is likely quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were so excited to try a new hotel in New Orleans, what a big disappointment. My husband saw this hotel on a travel channel and wanted to stay here, it sounded great to me too.
We arrived at the hotel and you just have to stand around at the "check in desk" and wait on someone to appear (no bell to ring). Kind of weird.
We go to our room which was right across from the elevator. I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room, which they accommodated. We went to our newly assigned room on the 2nd floor in another building connected to the main hotel. This room was just ok. (I booked a medium room btw) It did not look that new or modern but ok. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well until about 600am when the employees of the restaurant located on the first floor started coming to work. We could hear a door slamming approximately every 30 seconds for the next 45 mins. We were up for the day after this annoyance. (Which happened every morning!)
Our room was cleaned the first day but I had to leave a note for housekeeping to leave wash cloths the next day. They forgot to leave more coffee also.
The last day of our 3 night stay I put the "please clean room sign" on our door and when we returned to our room that afternoon, the sign had been turned to "shh do not disturb" and our room was not cleaned. I searched the hallway for the housekeeper and noticied numerous "shh do not disturb signs on the room doors", just more than I have ever observed in other hotels.
I went downstairs (waited for an appearance of an employee) and asked for towels. I was told "the linens just arrived, I will send some up to your room". This was 400pm in the afternoon and the place was just now getting clean towels.
We will not stay here again as the number one criteria I need for a hotel is a place to sleep and not to be repeatedly awakened at the crack of dawn. The employee entrance door that slams needs to be addressed by management.
Management should spend the night in the hotel and listen to this racket to understand how loud it is in your room.
The location of the hotel was fine on the St Charles line. The outside of the hotel and the lobby looked clean and when you could find an employee they were very nice and helpful. This hotel is just not up to any kind of professional standards and seems to be trying to be trendy and just forgot the basics.

Room Tip: I have no idea, seems overpriced to me since we go to New Orleans every year and have stayed in seve...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bbearden
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very good experience, price was very reasonable, highly recommend this hotel to all travelers coming to New Orleans. The restaurant has a nice view of the street, close to 4 museums, can purchase any art on display in the hotel. About half mile away from Convention Center, bring good tennis shoes, lots of walking!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed 25 October 2013

PROS
quiet
neat vibe - quirky style, parrot in lobby, no traditional check in desk, hip furnishings
umbrella in room a nice touch for rainy new orleans
right on street car line
bikes for rent to get around
affordable
loved the bed table to use computer in bed
strong wifi signal
friendly staff

CONS
kind of off by itself - not in french qutr or garden district or convention center - this could be a pro as well
not much very close by - only one c-store across street, few restaurants or stores
had to go outside between sections of hotel to get to my room - stinks if raining
pay parking (but not too outrageous)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Wanted to give what seemed like a cool hotel a chance on my recent trip to New Orleans, big disappointment. Lets start with room. The bed was very uncomfortable, seemed little more than a fancy futon. Towels and coffee in the room were hit and miss. When we inquired we were told they ran out! Two of the towels looked like they had been used to shine shoes with the black streaks on them. But the worst part of the room was the plumbing. We were able to hear every toilet flush, hand washing and shower all around us with the rattling pipes. So between this and the bed we got very little rest. This was not even the worst part of our stay, breakfast was the worst dinning experience I think I have ever had. The hotel was full with a convention in town and it was clear they were short staffed. Ok I get it, but we had to basically beg to have our order taken and it took 3 times for the waiter to bring our coffee. The menus had what was described as a kale and mushroom omelette, sounded good so that is what I ordered. Well after waiting for over 30 minutes I was delivered a cherry tomato one and when I said that was not what was on the menu the waiter rudely informed me that the omelette a where chefs choice and was what I ordered. I asked for it to be taken back and replaced with the scrambled egg plate he did so with an attitude. What I got back was a plate with a scrambled egg. The others in our party were equally disappointed in their meal. They couldn't even bother to toast the bread! I had about enough of the poor service and asked to speak to a manager. The front desk person told me the managers were in a meeting and she would see what she could do. I was shocked to see what was sent out to me was the housekeeping manager! She listened to my complaint with little real attention and suggested that they could remake the omelette!!! Really, do I really need to give them another chance on food? I asked to not pay for breakfast and she did comp our meal. I have worked as a waitress and am in management and can't understand why you would not step up, stop the meeting and tend to your guests when your restaurant is under water. We watched at least 10 tables sit down, be ignored and leave. They did redeem them selves a bit with the happy hour in the bar. We finished our day and were waiting for some others so decided to have a cocktail. The bar tender was great....great history of the cocktails we had and was fun to speak with. So, I would suggest staying elsewhere but stopping by for an afternoon drink!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business