“Pleasent Stay”

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #106 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Nice hotel in a nice location. Check in was very easy and my room was ready and they let me check in early which was perfect. My room was clean and comfortable. I had a view of other buildings but that was really not a concern for me.
I ate dinner at Tivoli & Lee and had an amazing waitress (Clair). She was very knowledgable about the menu and the ingredients and flavors. She really seemed to care about the restaurant and gushed about how proud she was of the menu and the quality of the food. Truly wish there were more Clairs out there.
I had the boudin 3 ways and it was delicious. I have no reference for comparison as this was my first experience but I really enjoyed the flavor. I also had the steak which was very good and garlic mashed potatos that were awesome.
I had breakfast the Monday I was leaving and I had the complete opposite experience with the service. Looks like the weekend staff is much more on the ball to say the least.
In the room, the bed was compurtable and the bathroom was clean and roomy enough. My only real complaint is the Air conditioner in the room. It is motion activated so at night when I was sleeping it would turn off. I woke up constantly to wave my arms or kick my legs to turn it back on. It was 82 degrees at one point and I had to stay up for 45 mins just to keep the AC on long enough to cool the room. It seems like it turns off after about 10 mins of inactivity so it made for a couple of long nights... This would be th only reason I would personally hesitate to stay again.
I would recommend the hotel if this is not an issue for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here during the Mardi Gras week (around 6 days). Arrived on Sunday night, which was a big mistake as the parade runs right in front of it and we had problems getting through the crowds and cordon with our luggage.
The room was small, but the bathroom was spacious. Also our room had just 1 window which was high up the wall that it almost felt like a cell
The location at Lee's circle eventually turned out to be a blessing as the Mardi Gras parades run right in front of it, so we just had to step out of the hotel to join the festivities. Also it was pretty close to both the French quarter and the Garden District, and the St Charles Streetcar. The WW2 museum was also right behind the hotel
The staff was great. They were very helpful during our stay and very friendly. My dad accidentally left his clutch bag with all his credit cards and money at the lobby and they promptly called our room to return it.
Will definitely come back but maybe choose a bigger room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is awesome but the staff make it a truly memorable stay. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the surrounding areas. The restaurant is delicious and bring a knew spin on old dishes such as rabbit. Only down side is no on site laundry and you have to pay per day for parking. As crazy as the parking is you are better off spending the $30 per day for valet instead of the $10 a day public parking down the street.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great experience while staying at Hotel Modern. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I will recommend to everyone that travels to New Orleans. Nay was very friendly and helpful, we had never visited before and needed some help. Thanks for making our stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am very happy with my three day stay at the Hotel Modern. Lee Circle is a great location. It's a short walk to the Convention Centre and the St. Charles street car sure makes getting around town easy. The restaurant food and service are superb. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and professional. The room was very comfortable for one person. It features a very large bathroom which was was spotless and a very comfortable bed. The flat screen TV offers a good assortment of channels to choose from. The alarm clock with an iPhone dock is very convenient. The internet connection was quite good too. I would have no problem recommending the Hotel Modern for either a business trip or a vacation stay. Oh yes, love the parrot.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dario M
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We just finished four days at the Modern. The hotel is conveniently located in Lee Circle in the warehouse district along the St. Charles trolley line. The hotel is within 10 minutes walk to great restaurants like Pesche and Butcher. Also, the WWII Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, Museum of Southern Art and a host of fine galleries are all within blocks.

The staff at the hotel (Rick, Adam, Nicole) are very accommodating. The rooms are small so I suggest you reserve the larger room. The king size bed was comfy, the carpet could use updating, overall we would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alfonso H
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very happy with the Hotel Modern - small, but very clean, modern room, very helpful staff. Mattress was perfect (always the single most important aspect of a hotel in my opinion) - 10/10. The only thing that might be disturbing if you have a light sleep is that you can't turn the A/C off (or maybe I just didn't figure out how to do it), it'll turn on automatically every 15 minutes for a minute or so.

It's a 10 minute walk from the French Quarter and a 5 minute walk to the Garden District, 10mins to the Super Dome. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple