“Had a fantastic stay...”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #108 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had occasion to stay at this hotel in May when I was in New Orleans for a professional conference. I chose the Hotel Modern purely because it is within walking distance of the convention center; however, it proved to be a fortuitous choice. The decor of the lobby is both sleek and rustic--no mean feat--and the staff was at all times professional, conscientious, and informative. My room was more than large enough for me (and I am a "person of size")---the bathroom in my room was huge. I decided to partake of the fare at the Tivoli & Lee restaurant at the hotel and it was some of the best food I have ever eaten. The bartender--Josh--who was serving up delicious cocktails was personable, knowledgable, and entertaining...I eschewed an evening out in the Vieux Carré to remain on the premises and partake of the delicious drinks and overall atmosphere (when you live in Vegas, debauched revelry kind of loses its allure...). If/when I am in New Orleans again, I will look to the Hotel Modern first when making reservations for accommodation. Fantastically managed hotel in an amazing city!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rickee1368
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband & I really enjoyed our stay for our anniversary. The room was great, the staff & service was even better. Don & Nicole were absolutely wonderful & able to answer all of questions. Devon & Damien were amazing in tending to all of our housekeeping needs. Actually everyone there was incredible!!! Thanks to the Hotel Modern for making our 8th anniversary so very special!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

fantastic location, great staff, streetcarsnd wwii museum practically outside the front door. I will recommend to anyone going to nola, as well as stay there again when I return. I definitely plan for us to go back, and I know where my hotel is going to be!!!

Room Tip: room 214 is very colorful, but the view is of the side. I didn't go to get a view from my hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidn0209
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful visit! Super friendly staff. Very clean room. Amazing bed! So fluffy and comfy I didn't want to get up! Breakfast was very good too. Keurigs in every room too for those coffee lovers like myself yummmmm. And pet friendly which was very important to us. We were able to keep our family together!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We check in friday May 31 on r way to florida :the next day with a return the next week June7-9. from checking the car in to checking out on June 9 -the whole experience was great and the staff was amazing,Rick and Nicole,.. the food at Tivoli & Lee was the best Executive Chef Marcus Woodham must live on site because he was working all 4 times i ate there. Can't wait to return Thank You Hotel Medern loved my time with U.

Room Tip: we were on the front room on the 6 floor looking out on the War2 mususm was amazing view .and so gui...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Nice hotel in a nice location. Check in was very easy and my room was ready and they let me check in early which was perfect. My room was clean and comfortable. I had a view of other buildings but that was really not a concern for me.
I ate dinner at Tivoli & Lee and had an amazing waitress (Clair). She was very knowledgable about the menu and the ingredients and flavors. She really seemed to care about the restaurant and gushed about how proud she was of the menu and the quality of the food. Truly wish there were more Clairs out there.
I had the boudin 3 ways and it was delicious. I have no reference for comparison as this was my first experience but I really enjoyed the flavor. I also had the steak which was very good and garlic mashed potatos that were awesome.
I had breakfast the Monday I was leaving and I had the complete opposite experience with the service. Looks like the weekend staff is much more on the ball to say the least.
In the room, the bed was compurtable and the bathroom was clean and roomy enough. My only real complaint is the Air conditioner in the room. It is motion activated so at night when I was sleeping it would turn off. I woke up constantly to wave my arms or kick my legs to turn it back on. It was 82 degrees at one point and I had to stay up for 45 mins just to keep the AC on long enough to cool the room. It seems like it turns off after about 10 mins of inactivity so it made for a couple of long nights... This would be th only reason I would personally hesitate to stay again.
I would recommend the hotel if this is not an issue for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here during the Mardi Gras week (around 6 days). Arrived on Sunday night, which was a big mistake as the parade runs right in front of it and we had problems getting through the crowds and cordon with our luggage.
The room was small, but the bathroom was spacious. Also our room had just 1 window which was high up the wall that it almost felt like a cell
The location at Lee's circle eventually turned out to be a blessing as the Mardi Gras parades run right in front of it, so we just had to step out of the hotel to join the festivities. Also it was pretty close to both the French quarter and the Garden District, and the St Charles Streetcar. The WW2 museum was also right behind the hotel
The staff was great. They were very helpful during our stay and very friendly. My dad accidentally left his clutch bag with all his credit cards and money at the lobby and they promptly called our room to return it.
Will definitely come back but maybe choose a bigger room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family