“Fine bargain in the heart of New Orleans”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #108 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Duncan, Arizona
“Fine bargain in the heart of New Orleans”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I needed something convenient to the Amtrak station downtown for a quick overnight. The Hotel Modern is lovely, its staff is warmly accommodating, the restaurant and bar are very fine-looking (I arrived too late to enjoy them). A live parrot greets guests during daytime hours by the roughly refinished old front desk. Especially nice is their making small rooms available at lower rates. Small is plenty big enough. And in my eighth-floor room, I'm almost eye-to-eye with the great general's statue that overlooks Lee Circle from a graceful stone obelisk.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the General Robert E. Lee statue, the higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
TheHotelModern, Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Deborah, we are glad to hear that you had a nice time while you stayed with us!! We hope to see you again when are passing back through, and hopefully you can stay a few nights with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I went here for our 1st anniversary and couldn't have chose a better place for the value we got!

We stayed 3 nights from Friday through Sunday and left on a Monday. I booked the trip directly from the Hotel's website and it required that the entire amount for the stay be paid upfront. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind since it was a great price, had good reviews, and I could go ahead and cover the cost of the room and get that knocked out.

They have a red parrot that hangs around the lobby and that is a nice touch. It even says hello and makes a chime sound when people come in the lobby. I think the name "Modern" comes from the atmosphere that the hotel creates with its staff and decor. The employees dress like they are going to work at Google - lots of khakis, flannel shirts, and jeans. They all also seemed to be no older than 30 or early 30's at the most (from what we saw at the front desk at least - didn't see the entire staff). We thought this was cool since we're in our early-mid 30's but older/more conservative patrons may not look at it that way. But all staff members were nice and check in/out was less than a minute so they get a thumbs up in my book.

The room was very cool as well! It was the Small room but it was just the right size, and the bathroom is very big for the room size. Everything worked and the Hotel's soap/shampoo/lotion was also of good quality. My wife even used the shower gel so it had to be decent for her to touch it. The purple accent wall was also a nice touch. The bed was a queen size but it was comfortable. I had to request that an iron and ironing board be brought up on the first day. The iron's cord had a short in it so I couldn't move the cord much while ironing or it would shut off and spew water when it comes back on. Luckily I found this out on the first day before I messed up a shirt and was able to maneuver it the rest of the stay so that it worked ok.

The elevators are cool and are quick. However, during busy times you may have to wait a minute or more if it is coming from the top floors and people are getting on it on the way down. We had a drink at the Bellocq lounge that is part of the hotel and we loved the decor.

Overall, we enjoyed the Hotel and would stay there again. Our only issue was its distance from Canal and Bourbon Street, which is where most of the action is. It is about a 20 minute walk or 10-15 blocks and can be a sweaty hike on a hot day but would be a pleasant walk during cooler months, such as in the Fall or Spring. The beautiful boutique art galleries, museums, and restaurants that you pass on the way in the Arts District helps to make the walk scenic so that makes up for the distance a little bit. The trolleys were also kinda difficult to figure out from Lee Circle where the Hotel sits but we only rode them on the first day and walked after that. Next time we may try to stay closer to Canal St. or even on Bourbon St. if we can find a similar deal. The casino was also fun and we would even stay there as it is right on Canal and close to Bourbon.

Room Tip: I would think that a room on a higher would provide a better view. Also ask for a room on the side o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ftrounds
Congratulations on your anniversary!!!! We are so happy you came to spend it with us, and also can't wait to see you for you second! Never get tired of hearing about great stays.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great place to stay in New Orleans. You'll feel like family, and you'll enjoy the modern, artistic feel of the hotel. The Bloody Mary bar is a must as well!

They go the extra mile to make your stay memorable and comfortable.

Location is great. Puts you in walking distance of many attractions in the city.

Overall a great place, great value, and my go-to place in New Orleans!

• Stayed August 2014
We are pleased that you had a great stay and can't wait for you return!!!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived at The Hotel Modern on a Wednesday and were meeting up with friends for the weekend. The staff, for the most part, were nice and friendly. You may be hard pressed to find anyone standing at the front desk after 10:00pm, it wouldn't be apparent where to go either. This was frustrating a couple of times as we had questions about transportation. Our room was on the 8th floor and over looked the square and was an average size, nothing special about the room at all for a "boutique" hotel, the overall atheistic appearance was just off. The bed was uncomfortable and the metal headboard had not been cleaned in who knows how long?! The lighting in the bathroom was horrid which made it look dank and dark, not good for putting on makeup, and there are no hooks on the wall to hang a towel or bathrobe and not enough space on the counter to put anything. The shower dispensers did not work at all and seemed rather strange. The shower curtain was stained at the bottom and covered in mold. Just overall disappointed with the room. Although the hotel lobby entrance is charming, the rest of the place is not up to par and I'd look for another place before I stayed here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
I am sorry to hear your staff wasn't as good as we would have wanted it to, but rest assured we are fixing all problems!! Please let us know the next time you are coming in town so we can show you a proper stay.
Ruston
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We enjoyed Rick to the fullest. He made our stay the absolute best.....Definitely need more Rick's. He deserves a raise. The rooms were nice and cozy...Very clean, the staff treated us like family..Although it rained almost everyday, the trolley pick up and drop off is conveniently located next 2 the hotel. Everything is just a trolley stop away for a three dollars all day pass. You have to visit The Trolley Stop Diner on St. Charles... Gr8 food.

• Stayed July 2014
We are always thrilled to hear when our guests have a great time! Hope to see you again soon!
Pedasi, Panama
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the The Hotel Modern before and have always been pleased with my stay, but this time, I was a bit disappointed. I stayed for ten days at this property, which is supposed to be a boutique hotel. It does give the feel of a boutique hotel, but unfortunately the staff comes up short. The 'casual feel' has been taken too far. A lot of joking around and not being attentive to the guests needs, nor after being there for 10 days, I felt that they were addressing me for the first time. Not the experience I was looking for during this visit.

Some of the rooms need a bit of a touch up...the soap/shampoo dispensers in the shower were falling apart and after asking the hotel to 'tighten' the screws, was falling apart the next day...also the bottles themselves were not working properly. There was a black hole on the ceiling and I wasn't sure if it was a moldy leak or worse. The housekeeping staff that cleaned and made up my bed need to be retrained. Very sad to see my favorite hotel not live up to my previous visits! I'm back in NOLA in October, I will be looking for a new hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Mary,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us this time around was not a very pleasant one! We would certainly hate to see you go and would definitely love to have you back. Please give me a call at the hotel, and I would welcome to make your accommodations personally.
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We feel in love with Hotel Modern when we were in town attending an Ole Miss football game. We knew we would return. Now, I think this will always be our go-to-place when in New Orleans. Thank you for being so pet-friendly! Everyone on the hotel staff was wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheHotelModern, Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Always love to see faces return!!! You have to wait every 6 months to come see us, we are always here and waiting for you! Glad you had another great stay