“Show be called "Old Towel Inn"”
Review of Olde Town Inn

Olde Town Inn
Ranked #92 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

When you pay over $100 per night the basics like heat and towels should be a given, but not here (just look at the pictures!) Checked in here because our usual French Quarter hotel was full because of the Sugar Bowl game and holiday tourists. This old house, converted into a bed & breakfast, is located in the "Marigny Triangle" neighborhood several blocks east of the French Quarter.
SAFETY:
As we walked in we spotted a hypodermic syringe on the west side of Marigny Street one door south of the hotel along with a lot of spray painted graffiti. We asked the friendly desk clerk about the safety of the neighborhood and were assured they had never had a break-in and he said that "this is a safe Gay neighborhood where we always look out the window to see who is coming home with whom." We walked (we had no car) during the day in the neighborhood but at night it gets a little sketchy with intoxicated men. The first night we were woken at 2:20 AM with what sounded like gun shots followed by police sirens but we were told the next day it was just firecrackers.
PROBLEMS:
December in New Orleans can get cold. The highs during our stay were low 60's and the nights dipped into the high 40's. Our "suite" was an old shotgun house converted to a European-style youth hostel room with ten beds in what used to be the living room, dining room and kitchen (there are no kitchen appliances). Unlike a normal hotel room, there was no central heat for the four rooms. A small electric heater was placed in front of the fire place (see photo) in the front room and another electric heater (like you see in offices when an employee needs extra heat by their desk) was placed in the converted former dining room now second bedroom, with no heat in the other bedroom or bathroom. At night we were cold and I went to move the front room heater to the bedroom but the cord had a bold tag saying "DO NOT MOVE HEATER". I suspect others had done this to fight the cold rooms but blew a fuse from over loading the outlets in one room. In the mornings the bathroom was really cold.
After our shower we were shocked at the towels! They were so old as to have all the fabric worn through with large holes (see picture). There was a bath mat rug next to the tub that was the same condition (see picture). Hot water pressure was very low in the shower and sink (see picture).
Our bed was old and creaky with a worn mattress that showed the years of use to the point that body impressions were evident. At least the sheets looked clean and didn't have holes. The couch is old and worn with the fabric frayed and torn in several places.
SERVICE
The front desk clerk was friendly and the lobby is more attractive than the rooms. We did not eat the free breakfast in the courtyard so I don't know what that was like. The maid did make up the bed the next day (we stayed for two nights).
BOTTOM LINE
If your group is ten college kids looking to do New Orleans for Spring Break then this is the place for you. If your expecting a normal bed & breakfast style hotel, stay away from this place.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels, bath mat, heater. . . . or stay at a normal hotel. Watch were you walk -- the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Port-A-Fan
OldeTownInn1, General Manager at Olde Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Port-A-Fan: Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and share your thoughts with others. Please be assured that we have addressed the issues that you brought forth. We are in the midst of an extensive renovation. If you would allow the opportunity to redeem ourselves, please give me a call: (504) 949-5815. Best Regards. Jacques Boutte. GM.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have never been treated so badly!!! This just might be the worse customer service I have ever experienced. After them cancelling my reservation without me telling them to, and leaving me stranded in an iffy part of town at 1:30 in the morning, they refused to give me my money back. To me that is stealing!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Linacamden
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

First time here it is a nice place..it just need some updates. Keep the charm of New Orleans. I would
Invest in electronic key system. There was no phone in your room, no remote. The staff is outstanding. The housekeeping staff is wonderful very clean rooms. Invest is clothes hangers. The bed was very comfortable. Great location 1 block the the Phoenix/ Eagle.
I would be back soon!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here last night. It is not a standard hotel - more like a group of old attached houses; pretty unique! I chose to pay $10 for secure parking (behind a locked gate) for my motorcycle, but there was adequate curb-side parking available. Check-in was quick and easy, and the guy at the desk was very friendly. He walked me to my "room" and ensured I had no questions or needed any help. The room was actually a suite with three separate rooms - full-size bedroom, small living room, and bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. Furnishings seemed relatively new. The building itself is quite old, and some of the infrastructure reflected that (though that added to the "quaintness" and did not detract from my experience).

I decided to walk to Bourbon Street for the evening. It is about a mile, so I ended up taking a cab back to the hotel.

Staff was very friendly and seemed happy (housekeeper was singing as she was working).

Breakfast was average - adequate continental breakfast plus waffles.

Overall, a very nice experience - no point in going to a place like New Orleans and staying in a fancy hotel - a place like this helps you experience the culture. Price was reasonable compared with other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have stayed here several times without problems but just returned from a five night stay with bed bug bites up and down my arms. I have reported it to the Inn and hopefully they will address it but beware.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank JazzDad
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked the hotel through Kayak. We thought we were getting a large bed in a quaint if not quirky, hotel. Our usual choice. Instead we got crazy room #33. It had 8 beds in four connected rooms plus a bathroom. The lighting was dank at best and my girlfriend came back the first day to find cockroaches in her luggage. The bathroom sink faucet put forth only a trickle of water when full on. I timed how long it took to fill the plastic 6 oz. plastic cup. 24 seconds. No lie. I can only relate our experience. I'm sure other rooms were better. They couldn't be worse.
The breakfast was a complete joke. Weak coffee, nothing but carb pasteries, no fruit, no eggs, one dry cereal, some lame orange juice in a gallon jug. A French couple, (I suspect they were French),surveyed the mess, shook their heads, made a face, and left. We ate elsewhere the next day. Our tv was inoperable because there was no controller. The woman at the front desk shrugged her shoulders and said that people walk off with such things and she didn't have an extra. There was no capability for a wake up call and none of the five floors in our (suite) was the least bit level. All this for nearly $200 a night! You'd be better off sleeping on the street. Or, doing more research on the net. In the three days we were in N.O. we saw many places we could have stayed if only we had done a better job of searching. Don't stay on or near Bourbon Street. But, even a modern high rise hotel near the French Quarter is far better than the Olde Town Inn. It sucketh.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not given room #33
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David S
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was our first time in New Orleans. We loved it especially this hotel.we arrived a little early and our room wasn't ready so we came back later. We had booked a double room but was upgraded to a suite. It was very different! There were 3 rooms, 2 bedrooms ,one with a queen and one with a king and two singles. There was another room with a fold up bed and a desk too.it was huge.it was a little rough around the edges but that was its appeal.the breakfast area was great being outside in a lovely courtyard.we really liked our authentic New Orleans guest house

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple