“what a rip off for a crappy hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Olde Town Inn
Ranked #65 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Marksville, Louisiana
“what a rip off for a crappy hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stay here for 2 night...no bathroom in your room...no heat..just a little oil heater that didnt warm up the room...bathroom down the walk way didnt have heat in the room..the heater didnt work...the door to the bathroom has a gap in it...ITS to far from french quarters for the money i paid...OVERALL..its horrible...They didnt clean our room because they said they didnt have an extra key to get in...PAY THE EXTRA MONEY AND STAY DOWN TOWN...they place should be checked by the law....breakfast was good...and they did keep it as clean as possible in the bathroom...

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clinton B
OldeTownInn1, General Manager at Olde Town Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear ClintonB: I apologize, we understand that the common bathrooms were certainly not for everyone. Please be assured that through our renovations, those have been eliminated!! All of our rooms now have private facilities!! If you'd consider giving us an opportunity to redeem ourselves, please give me a call: (504) 949-5815. Sincerely. Jacques Boutte. GM.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my 3rd attempt at posting a review on this hotel. Possibly Tripadvisor doesn't like what I wrote :). Anyway, I will start by saying if you are looking for one of the worse hotel rooms in New Orleans, this may be your hotel. This hotel, as "quaint" as some people think it is, is over 120 years old and shows it. I stayed here January 21-25. I must prefix this review by saying that the staff (except for Romeo who was very rude) are very nice and tried to help as best they could with what the hotel offered. The first night I was placed I believe in room 12. A one bedroom with private shower (no bathtub). It was unusually cold in NO this January. Temperatures dropped to the mid 20's at night. This room only had a space heater which gave off little to no heat. I was so cold and uncomfortable that I could not sleep. The bed was broken down and the shower had mold around it. Luckily I had read some reviews about this hotel and brought my own towel. I definitely needed it. the towels were old and very worn. I spoke with the front desk the next day about getting a refund and going to another hotel, but they did not offer a refund. I told them I needed another room, but was told they were full. The manager then offered me a 4 room NO "shotgun style" apartment. I accepted and moved my belongings to it. The apartment or small house was better than the room I was in. The house was set up as; front room was the master bedroom, second room had 3 twins and a couch in it, third room had three twins and a dresser, the fourth room was the kitchen and then off that was a full, but small bathroom. Mold was all over the tub and walls. The front room had a wall mounted heater which worked, but did not heat well. I brought a second space heater from one of the other rooms in to try to heat the front room. I had to sleep with two sweaters, flannel pajama bottoms and 2 pairs of socks just to stay comfortable at night. Not warm, but ok. These 4 days were HELL in this hotel. I again, do not fault the managers, just the owners. I understand the owners are not allowed to make modern improvements to the hotel since it is considered to be in The French Quarter. I will say that the hotel is close enough to The French Quarter to walk; a little over a mile and takes about 20 minutes. Frenchmen street is a quick 5 minute walk. Cabs are frequent there and not too expensive to catch back to the hotel. The hotel may be tolerable when the temperatures are nice and you are only expecting a "basic" room. I would not pay more than $50 a night for the room. I am sure they gouge clients at event times. If you are going to stay here, negotiate with the manger to get the best deal. As for me, I will NEVER return. I have stayed in NO many times and there are a lot of hotel more suitable.

Room Tip: Do not get room 12
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PuggleLovers
Dear PuggleLovers: I apologize for such an awful stay. Please be assured that through our renovations, we have addressed all of your concerns. If you find it appropriate to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves, please give me a call: (504) 949-5815. Sincerely. Jacques Boutte. GM

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We booked a room here back in December for Mardi Gras weekend. When we showed up to check in they informed us that our credit card had been declined. Instead of calling to inform us, they sold our room to someone else leaving us with nowhere to stay as all of the rooms in the city were booked. Instead of giving us priority for booing the room 3 months ago over the person who just booked the room today, they told us that there was nothing that they could do about it. Additionally, they were extremely rude and refused to take responsibility for the situation saying that it doesn't reflect poorly on their business and blamed the computer booking system.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank blayton14
Dear blayton14: I apologize for such awful inconvenience. Please note, it is common practice here in New Orleans that we guarantee our reservations for events such as Mardi Gras by credit card. Should your credit card decline, it is also common practice to use discretion and cancel said reservation without notice. I'd be glad to redeem ourselves, please give me a call: (504) 949-5815. Best Regards. Jacques Boutte. GM.
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Liked this place because it was in the French Quarter, close enough to walk everywhere, but not too close where you are stuck with all the noise. The price was great, I don't think we paid more than $50. The place was what it was, isn't not a modern hotel, it's an 'old towne in'. Its not the most up-to-date, but it was nice enough. It had a cool little courtyard that served breakfast and the staff was nice. I'd stay here again if I ever went back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear mfaie616: Thanks for such a wonderful review! We hope to you again soon!! Sincerely. Jacques Boutte. GM.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Ok, this is not for those of you that expect perfection...it is an old building, or actually series of building, and you have to deal with that, however I love old buildings and quaint surroundings. In addition, the staff is very friendly and helpful and knowing that I am trying to move to the city, gave me lots of pointers and assistance.

Heating is a bit of a challenge but then it IS an old building in New Orleans. Difficulties with remotes that apparently walk off were handled in a friendly manner.

Room Tip: Some rooms have phones, others do not, might wanna check about that while making reservations if it...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear JamesG: Thank You! I appreciate your taking the time to compose such a great review!! Hope to see you again soon. Best Regards. Jacques Boutte. GM.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Room was terribly cold and no extra blankets were supplied even though promised several times, shower did not Work, entire bathroom floor was wet constantly from a leaking toilet. Linen in the bathroom had holes all through it and one of the beds had dirty sheets.

We approached management re the shower and tripping power and after 1 1/2 hrs of waiting had no response! Next morning we were told we should expect that in an old building....... I at least expect clean linen, power and a functioning shower - Shame it ruined our experience in the entire city.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Smithtons
Dear Smithtons: I apology for the fact that no one resolved the issues during your stay. Please be assured, all of your concerns have been addressed. Sincerely. Jacques Boutte. GM.
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

When you pay over $100 per night the basics like heat and towels should be a given, but not here (just look at the pictures!) Checked in here because our usual French Quarter hotel was full because of the Sugar Bowl game and holiday tourists. This old house, converted into a bed & breakfast, is located in the "Marigny Triangle" neighborhood several blocks east of the French Quarter.
SAFETY:
As we walked in we spotted a hypodermic syringe on the west side of Marigny Street one door south of the hotel along with a lot of spray painted graffiti. We asked the friendly desk clerk about the safety of the neighborhood and were assured they had never had a break-in and he said that "this is a safe Gay neighborhood where we always look out the window to see who is coming home with whom." We walked (we had no car) during the day in the neighborhood but at night it gets a little sketchy with intoxicated men. The first night we were woken at 2:20 AM with what sounded like gun shots followed by police sirens but we were told the next day it was just firecrackers.
PROBLEMS:
December in New Orleans can get cold. The highs during our stay were low 60's and the nights dipped into the high 40's. Our "suite" was an old shotgun house converted to a European-style youth hostel room with ten beds in what used to be the living room, dining room and kitchen (there are no kitchen appliances). Unlike a normal hotel room, there was no central heat for the four rooms. A small electric heater was placed in front of the fire place (see photo) in the front room and another electric heater (like you see in offices when an employee needs extra heat by their desk) was placed in the converted former dining room now second bedroom, with no heat in the other bedroom or bathroom. At night we were cold and I went to move the front room heater to the bedroom but the cord had a bold tag saying "DO NOT MOVE HEATER". I suspect others had done this to fight the cold rooms but blew a fuse from over loading the outlets in one room. In the mornings the bathroom was really cold.
After our shower we were shocked at the towels! They were so old as to have all the fabric worn through with large holes (see picture). There was a bath mat rug next to the tub that was the same condition (see picture). Hot water pressure was very low in the shower and sink (see picture).
Our bed was old and creaky with a worn mattress that showed the years of use to the point that body impressions were evident. At least the sheets looked clean and didn't have holes. The couch is old and worn with the fabric frayed and torn in several places.
SERVICE
The front desk clerk was friendly and the lobby is more attractive than the rooms. We did not eat the free breakfast in the courtyard so I don't know what that was like. The maid did make up the bed the next day (we stayed for two nights).
BOTTOM LINE
If your group is ten college kids looking to do New Orleans for Spring Break then this is the place for you. If your expecting a normal bed & breakfast style hotel, stay away from this place.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels, bath mat, heater. . . . or stay at a normal hotel. Watch were you walk -- the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Port-A-Fan
OldeTownInn1, General Manager at Olde Town Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Port-A-Fan: Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and share your thoughts with others. Please be assured that we have addressed the issues that you brought forth. We are in the midst of an extensive renovation. If you would allow the opportunity to redeem ourselves, please give me a call: (504) 949-5815. Best Regards. Jacques Boutte. GM.