Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette French Quarter Area Hotel
Ranked #73 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 February 2010

i loved it... it was great! the hotel was very pretty inside and the rooms were nice also

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 11 January 2010

The hotel lobby was surprisingly small and crowded when I arrived but check-in service was fast and everything was efficient. The room itself was medium-size but the bathroom was large by hotel standards. The bed was fairly comfortable and extra pillows were nice. Instead of a closet, there was a wardrobe which contained a few hangers and ironing board and that limited the space for hanging up actual clothes.

The exercise room had a handful of cardio machines and weights, and an adjoining yoga room had videos, mats, etc. I found the room to be clean (and empty) on each or 3 visits.

We ate at the MILA restaurant off the lobby once - expensive but delicious food. Some odd presentations and I think they were trying to out-fancy themselves but at least everything tasted great. Also sat in the lobby bar where taciturn bartenders mixed a variety of expensive drinks - no real atmosphere there but can get free wireless Internet in the lobby.

The hotel is a short walk from the French Quarter and well worth checking into if you plan to walk to the main tourist area. There are a couple of drugstores nearby if you need any supplies. Lots of restaurants and bars, of course, on the same block and on surrounding streets.

I enjoy staying at historic hotels that have been updated with modern conveniences, and this Renaissance definitely fit the bill.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Craig D
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I travel to New Orleans regularly for work, and always try to stay at the Renaissance Pere Marquette. It offers a great location (on Common Street - just one block off Canal), and within 2 blocks of the beginning of Bourbon Street. You get the best of both worlds - good close-by location, without being the middle of the melee.

The hotel is a great mix of old-school NOLA charm and modern conveniences. The rooms are well amenitized with everything you could want, large windows (though original historic, uninsulated) let in lots of light and upper floors offer great views of the city and surrounding neighborhood.

There is a nice lobby bar and Starbucks consession that's open in the morning. There's a restaurant off the lobby which offers generally reasonable and unique choices.

The staff/service is superb. Truly. I have stayed here at least two dozen times in the past 1 1/2 years, and have always enjoyed chatting with the staff, and on the rare occasion that there's an issue of some kind, it is always dealt with quickly, professionally and politely.

The one and only complaint I have about the Pere Marquette is its room service menu selection. Don't get the wrong, the food is always good and the service great. However, as I'm often traveling for work for multiple nights (as I am on this trip - 7 nights), I get back from the day's meetings and need to work - and find it convenient to order room service. There are 3 "sandwich" choices, inclouding a burger, Texas toast grilled cheese (which is great) and a chicken salad croissant. There are two "rotisserie" chioces: duck and chicken. There are two "grill" choices: redfish and beel filet. And that, my friends, is the end of it. There are a few dessert choices and some apps - but 4 entree choices and 3 sandwiches. Really? Again, the very limited choices are always consistent and tasty (if a bit pricey). But, I've been staying here for years, and seriously, the room service menu does not change. I have asked the order-taker several times if there are "specials", and I am told that I may only order what's on the in-room menu. Really?

Again, this is a great hotel - and ofen a "sleeper" when it comes to rates. There's a Marriott, a J.W. Marriott, a Ritz Carlton and a plethora of other upscale hotels in the immediate vicinity, and having stayed at all of the others, I prefer the Pere Marquette hands down. If you do some digging around on Marriott's website when booking, you can usually find a rate that's pretty close (if not cheaper) than the Courtyard that's around the corner too.

I would recommend this place to anyone - and plan to submit a polite suggestion to management that they at least slightly enhance the room service menu. I doubt they'd like to know that they could lose a business traveler (me or others) over something so silly as updating a dinner room service menu selection.

Enjoy this place - I always do!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank andrewclauer
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Stellar service. Incredibly accommodating staff. Rooms are comfortable, modern, and clean. Amazing value for the money! The easiest way to see The Big Easy--- walking distance to the Quarter, but off the beaten path! We will visit again and again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avmiddleton
Reviewed 30 December 2009

How can you beat my cost of $89/night? Top 10 restaurant MiLa is connected to hotel, had access to 19th floor Club Lounge-free breakfast that had essentially everything you'd need-coffee, fresh juices, eggs, cereals, muffins, jams, fresh fruit in a spacious and immaculate room with a super view especially in the morning and at night. Quiet location, friendly and attentive staff, clean, nice rooms, very comfortable, with character. Every floor is deicated to a jazz legend, mine was Dave Brubeck. Only downside was steep parking rate-$32.48 a night. But, with everything else, this was still a little over $130/night, so very affordable. They also have a great fitness center with everything you need, including free weights, fresh chilled towels, fresh fruit, workout benches,etc. If you want to be close to the French Quarter, yet in a quiter setting in the CBD a block and a half away from Canal Street, stay here.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I have to start out by saying this hotel is nice, staff very helpful, rooms clean, food at restaurant very good. It is conveniently located within walking distance to everything, and you can pick up both St. Charles street car and Canal St. street car lines within 1 block. The area is a little "iffy", but I was not alone and did not walk around alone at all. Breakfast, as is all food, is really expensive, but we found a little breakfast/lunch nook 1 block away, so we went there.

The only thing I can really fault this hotel on is there is no drawer space in the rooms, literally. There were 2 of us for 6 nights, we were there for a destination wedding, so we had extra clothes and had to fold them up on the desk. There are 3 little drawers in the TV armoire and 2 little bedside drawers, but I think this hotel is suited to the single business traveler in NOLA for a convention, not for touring visitors. If you are changing clothes twice a day, as we were, you have no room to put your clothes. The rooms are really small, but that didn't bother me as much as nowhere to put your clothes!

Other than that, it is nice, but there is a hotel 1 block away, the Roosevelt, that is beautiful and probably better suited to the visiting traveler, which, if I ever go back to NOLA, I would probably stay there instead.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cassboett
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I came with a group of 8 for Halloween weekend/ my sister's 21st birthday celebration. When we informed the front desk clerk of our reason for visiting, she had the bartender make us each (there were only 4 of us arrived so far) a free cocktail.
Bar:
There are 2 bars. One is more formal and behind closed doors. The second bar opens out into one end of the lobby. This one I thought was very chic/ retro/ cool, etc. The bartender took an obscenely long time to make our drinks, like watching paint dry long- however that was because she was basically making all of our cocktails from scratch. Everything was fresh cut and fresh squeezed, and my Cosmo was the best I've ever had.
Location:
Just outside of the French Quarter. An easy, short, non-scary walk.
Parking:
The parking ticked me off a little. They say to call down before you get your car. However, they will not get our car until we've come down, so what's the point in calling? As most of the Business District/ French Quarter, you pay more than $30/night for parking. However, if you are going to be there a while, and you don't need your car, I would advise parking in any number of the nearby lots for $15/night.
Room:
I thought the rooms were nice. My only complaint is that they only give you 3 towels. If you check in with 4 people to a room, and the room consists of 2 queens, why 3 towels? And after you call 2 days in a row asking for more towels, why do you have to keep calling?
Overall:
Overall, it was a nice hotel and not to far from the French Quarter.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank dragondream7