“Great value through Priceline” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal St Charles Hotel

Royal St Charles Hotel
Ranked #55 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great value through Priceline”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I guess maybe we lucked out coming in on a weeknight, but our room was awesome and we booked it only a few hours before arriving.

We took the Priceline deal as we were driving in town from Houston. For only $44, we weren't exactly sure what we were in for. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The woman at the front desk was very nice and assigned us to room 901, which had 2 double beds. The room itself was medium-small in size but the bathroom was huge. The decor and linens looked brand new.

The lobby was also impressive and a cafe area was directly attached to it. We decided to self park and found a spot on the street just down the block.

If I were forced to find something to complain about, I'd say a shelf or something in the bathroom for some toiletries would have been nice, there was nowhere to even leave a toothbrush. Also, our room was closest to the elevator area and there was a speaker playing music which I could hear in the room when I was trying to sleep. No deal-breakers though.

Overall, we found it to be an amazing value for our last minute trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZeroOrchestra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a week in December. The room was small but had a balcony... a nice feature in New Orleans except that it overlooked a busy street with lots of noise at all times of day. I don't know which was worse: the garbage truck coming round emptying dumpsters at 2A on Sunday morning or the loud pressure washing of the sidewalk and exterior at 7A on a weekday.

The staff was friendly, but often distracted. Many appeared to be young people or others who had just begun working in the hotel industry. I did not experience the level of professionalism I've been accustomed to when visiting in New Orleans. The request for a cab to be ready to pick me for an early morning was delayed because the doorman was somewhere else in the building. He had made no arrangements and seemed irritated to be called upon to take care of a request made the evening before. The concierge was also distracted and disinterested when I requested a map and brochure from her. I've never encountered anyone in that sort of job behave as if I were bothering her.

The computer available for guests to use is in the lobby. I used it one time and later found my email account had been hacked. Be careful using this community computer since it may appear one has signed out when that is not the case.

The location in the Central Business District allows for easy access to various neighborhoods. There is a streetcar stop on the street next to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
St augustine Fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place was not like the pictures at all. There was NO window in my room and the room was the size of a large elevator. In addition to the poor quality décor and the size of the room, the TV did not work. I called the front desk to ask for help, they said they didn't care. The door t my room rattled violently every time a person in a neighboring room used there door. There was tons of noise and yelling at night when I attempted to sleep.

Room Tip: I would stay in the Roosevelt next time in the area.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel was lovely but I wanted to give an extra special thanks to Keianna & Chelsea for saving the day for us. Here's what happened. We had booked a pricey 2 excursion package with the woman at the excursion desk. She had told us the excursion would start at 10:30 and to be in the lobby at 10:20am which we were. We waited and waited until after 11:00. We got very frustrated and finally cancelled. Although we cancelled past the brochure and reps promise of pick up time we were told by the Cajun Pride booking lady basically too bad about your $60 cash deposit. Although the company is only indirectly affiliated with the Royal St Charles, Keianna and Chelsea of the Royal St Charles made sure we got our deposit back when the company and their rep adamantly said no. Thank you ladies for seeing that we were right and covering for this rep. Had she simply told us the pick up could be much later we wouldn't have been so frustrated by the wait. We were not happy campers at all and you turned it around for our short visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren P
Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Thank goodness this was a deal on Priceline! Let me start off saying that the hotel is not terrible, but there is a definite lack of customer service and no attention to detail.

The lobby is very colorful and has ample seating to handle a large crowd. The check in desk is a big round nightmare. If a lot of people are crowded around it you honestly don't know where the beginning or end is. This could easily be solved by a greeter directing guests to line up. Valet parking is $32.00 or you can choose to public park for $16.00. If you want to wait an hour to get your car than valet park. But, more on that later.

The superior size room is pretty small. If you have a big family I would advise getting more than one room. The rooms aren't decorated badly, but the choice of furniture is overly large for such a small space. The bathroom was not clean by any stretch of the imagination. Hair on the floor and in the shower. The liner was old and discolored and to make things feel even worse: a tub mat. Yes, a tub mat with mold growing around it. I don't even want to think what could be lurking under that! When I turned on the water for the first time it was nice and brown and only reached a lukewarm temperature. Yuck!
The beds are not the best and were a bit rubbery. Definitely not a bed you would want to sleep in night after night on a longer visit.

The checkout was smooth until we tried to get our car from valet parking. We turned our ticket in around 11:05 am. The lobby was crowded as many people were checking out at the same time. I figured we would have about a half hour wait. I stood with my two children and husband and watched as people who arrived much later than us received their vehicles and left. The man working at the valet desk never spoke to any of us waiting about time expectancy or why things were taking so long. As a matter of fact, he pretty much avoided eye contact with any of us period. I asked the front desk what was taking so long 45 minutes after I had been waiting. She made it seem like the cars were parked across the city in Metairie. She told me that traffic gets backed up and it takes awhile to get the cars. Well, that's fine if you state that it takes at least an hour to get your car from the beginning. We were told a couple of minutes during check-in. As we continued our very long wait I lost patience at the one hour mark as the lobby was practically empty and all who had came before us were given their cars. I asked the valet again where our car was. He asked what our ticket number was and I reminded him that he had our ticket. He made it seem like I was being unreasonable for asking in the first place. We waited another 30 minutes and as our car finally pulled up a woman from the front desk approached us and said that she was crediting the valet parking.

Overall, the hotel was just OK. Not bad for a couple or single traveler who is probably going to spend more time out of the room than in the room. Only two blocks from the French Quarter and Bourbon Street makes the location pretty good. If your traveling with children or expect great service and a clean room than this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank RaphieA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 12-18. It's very nice and has a convenient location accessible to everything! The staff are very courteous and there's a coffee house downstairs! What more could you ask for!? The trolley runs right outside the door or you can hail a taxi with ease. A parking garage is located close enough to walk to and you pass by a convenient store on the way.