“Great location for the price”

Royal St Charles Hotel
Ranked #63 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Hockley, Texas
“Great location for the price”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location. We were able to easily walk to Bourbon St,, the aquarium, Pharmacy Museum, Harrahs, and to the Streetcars to get to everything else. The room was very small, but was clean and quiet. There was also no window in the room, but a fake glass square with curtains made to look like a window. Valet parking is expensive, but no different than the other hotels. Unless you plan to spend lots of time in the room, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stugatsa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
DeSoto, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I agree that the room was small but the location is near the heart of the action in the city. The A/C was tricky in that getting it just right was difficult. The staff seemed very nice. The valet parking is the way to go. Nice easy breakfast spot downstairs. This is an example of getting what you need but not making the hotel the priority. There are nicer accommodations but probably more expensive. This fit our needs.

Room Tip: Bathroom size may be a qualifier for the room you want.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackvw1955
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We attended the New Orleans Bowl game & found that all the reviews for this hotel were really great. I booked the room online, I booked a deluxe king room. When we got to the hotel to check in they gave us the keys to our room, we go upstairs & it was not the room I paid for. It was a very small standard king room. Where was our 3rd person supposed to sleep??? I went downstairs & spoke w/ the staff about the room that I had booked versus the room I got...she was very rude & argued with me about it. After a long argument she gave us a standard handicapped deluxe room, which was not impressive. The shower was dirty & some of the stuff in the room was broken. I did like the easy access to the city. I was uncomfortable that the valet parking for the hotel was a few blocks away from the hotel..and the front desk couldn't tell me where the garage was. Once we found the garage they would not give me my keys to get something out of my car...It was a very frustrating hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Tracy L
Denham Springs, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I got a great deal on Groupon for this hotel. It was a great place to stay while in New Orleans. The staff was pleasant and efficient at the front desk. Rooms were adequate for short stays with a great shower and a small tub. What I liked was the location. It is close enough to the French Quarter to just walk or take a trolley on Canal Street. There are lots of restraunts in the area to chose from. The trolley line that goes to the Garden District is also within walking distance.
There is a neat little coffee shop attached and an area with brochures and maps of New Orleans.
Parking is either valet or self park at a covered lot about 2 blocks away. The cost to park is $16.00 a night (not uncommon in N.O) or $30+ for valet. We dropped off our luggage and then parked. You pay for the parking at the lot, not the hotel. You can use your car and return as many times as you like.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 10th floor hear the elevators in the morning going up and down....beds are soft.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deborah Q
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Overall I really liked the hotel. The room was a little small and so was the bathroom. The room was at times either too hot or too cold, but overall our stay was great. The valet was very nice and fast, and you simply cannot beat the location!!! One block from Canal Steet and one block from Bourbon. The only bad thing is all the extra fees...there was like a $9.95 a day resort fee which is not necessary. Overall you can't beat be location and we will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is very nice and looks modern and new. No complaints about cleanliness and they have a cute coffee bar right in the lobby. Unfortunately, the staff is terrible. The front desk was slow, unhelpful and unfriendly. The "valet" parking left our car in front of the hotel in a fire zone and after repeatedly asking them to move it--hours later--we finally gave up and moved it ourselves.
Probably not typical, but during our stay, the fire alarm went off at 1am- apparently there were smokers on a higher floor- and we were kept out of our rooms for over an hour. Thank goodness we moved our car (not relying on valet to get around to it) right before the fire trucks showed up and needed to park in the fire zone. To make matters worse, when guests were finally allowed back to their rooms, they piled into the elevator and got stuck for about 45 minutes. Luckily, the fire dept was already there and luckily I decided to take the stairs.
All in all, the hotel itself is nice, location is decent and close to the french quarter but I probably would not stay here again unless I got a very good rate.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank destinationxtrme
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

After reading all the negative reviews I was a bit hesitant about booking a room here, however I did. I absolutely enjoyed my stay here. Checkin was a ease, the ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and the size was decent. Had no problems during my stay. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it to everyone who is visiting New Orleans.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family