SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #110 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed at Spring Hill suites on recent trip to New Orleans. There was no onsite parking; had to park down the block and of course pay for it. The hotel offered a breakfast buffet but it was so packed they ran out of many food items and did not have enough seating. The room was ok; thought it could have been cleaner.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July when I and my daughters and granddaughter were going a cruise. We spent three nights at this hotel. I selected this hotel because It was a Marriott and I have always had good experiences with Marriott. I was not disappointed. We needed enough space for four women and I always like to have some type of kitchen facilities. The room was clean and comfortable and the employees were pleasant and helpful. This hotel is within walking distance of almost any place one wants to go in NOL or one can get to public transportation with ease. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sdkukycky
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights. After a 12 hr drive we were able to check in at early. Room was very nice. My only compliant was there were no information binders about the hotel or surrounding areas. We didn't know when check out or what time the breakfast was. I like to read about the area and things the hotels have to offer. There wasn't even a phone book to order pizza. They had 2menus from a couple of restaurants under the door. Parking was $25 a day. That is a little extreme. We would of liked to see what was closer since we had my mother with us that can't walk very far or be in the heat. So we just ordered in not being able to enjoy something close. There were probably some real close but without info we never found them. A little disappointed.

1  Thank Kellie M
Rodney D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. All of our rooms should have the guest information binder on the coffee table, so I offer my apologies for this not being in place. Phone books have long been removed from our guest rooms in focus on conservation. For years we have noticed that the phone books were not being used so they were taken out about 6 years ago. Phone books are now available on line or on your smart phone.

The menus that you mentioned were not from us as we do not supply any menus in the room other than the one that is in the Guest Service book. Most likely the menus that you encountered were dropped off by a local vendor when they made a delivery to our hotel. We find these daily and throw them out. We do have copies of menus from most of the local restaurants at the front desk and the staff would have been more than happy to make recommendations for you. Lastly, our parking rate is one of lowest for covered parking in the downtown area. In the end we should have had the Guest Service book in place and this would have helped you understand our hotels services a little better. Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and look forward to another opportunity to get it right.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a Marriott member and a big fan of the Spring Hill Suites, and this hotel was great. Great location, friendly staff, great breakfast, very nice fitness center, and well priced at $79/night. The only negative about staying here is the $25/night parking fee, however, we were able to go in/out as many times as we wanted during the day. This was helpful as the purpose of our trip was to take our son back to college in NOLA and we had several errands to run for him in addition to enjoying the city a bit.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel on an average was nice. The Continental breakfast was great & the rooms were cozy. The layout of the room we stayed in was odd but it accommodated my husband, 3 boys, & I. The beds were comfy but the cable connection as way below par for what i expected from a hotel like that...even though the only time we really watched it was at night winding down from a busy fun filled day around New Orleans. =) Would I recommend this to friends & family...of course! The staff was very nice & the atmosphere was pleasant. Plus it was in the perfect location for what my family & I had planned for our vacation in New Orleans....everything we had on our agenda was within walking distance of our hotel. =)

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We came to Springhill after a long and tiring day of driving over ten hours. Obviously, me and my family were exhausted. However, we did not get much sleep at all. We arrived around 9 PM and there was no more parking and we had to pay $20 to park across the street. I am glad that the lady at the desk apologized for not having enough parking spots; however, I wish she warned us about the loud bar across the street. We came into our room and noticed right away the loud booming music coming from across the street in the bar. We didn't call down to complain and just went along with it. However, after trying to sleep for two hours, my dad called down at 2 AM and complained about the loud music. The staff was nice enough to apologize and offer a new room for us but at 2 AM we were just too exhausted to move anything so we just thanked her and continued to try to sleep. Unfortunately, we didn't get much sleep and even had to wake up early at 6 AM to drive another six hours. Obviously, we were all tired and I felt especially bad for my dad who does most of the driving. I also have to mention that the room was a little on the dirty side for me. I expected much cleaner for Marriott since we stay at Marriott often. The bathroom was dirty and disappointed me since I expected better from Marriott. The glass cups they also had in the room were spotty and dirty. Overall, I am disappointed in this Springhill Marriott because it was dirty and did not warn us about the loud club across the street. Do not stay here if you actually want to sleep, because you don't if you may be unfortunate enough to get a room facing the loud bars.

Room Tip: If you see your room is facing the bar, ask to move.
1  Thank 123SamGirl
Rodney D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and please accept my apologies for the issues with your room. We manage to the same standards of all Marriott hotels and would have loved the opportunity to have made this right while you were here with us. I have shared your comments concerning your room with all of our leaders and I assure you that we will take the appropriate action to get this right.

As far as the parking situation is concerned, we are aware that there are times that our lot on sight is filled so we should have presented you with a list of local lots. Most of the lots are within a couple of blocks of us with two of them being directly across the street. Our on site parking fee is $25 so several of the local lots are actually more affordable. We also only allow one vehicle per room to park on site so that we are able to accommodate more of our guest that actually has a reservation.

Again thank you for your response and the opportunity for us to improve.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

First off, let me say that with one exception the staff was uniformly pleasant, courteous and
unfailingly helpful. Crystal the young lady who checked me in fit the above description perfectly
and offered to have my room changed when the view was not what I expected - an inner land-
scaped courtyard. She kindly advised me that the rooms with street views were affected at night
by the noise from a nightclub across the street (appropriately named The Howling Wolf - and yes, I heard the noise on an evening walk - let's just say I was well advised by Crystal! So I stayed with my original room, a King Studio Suite. And yes - it was very quiet except for my final
night when a noisy family moved in next door and kept me from going to sleep right away. But
one quick call to the front desk fixed the problem and in an instant no more noise, thank you
very much.

Now to the room. it was spacious but not quite as big as I thought it would be. The sleeping area where the bed occupied most of that space with the closet less than a foot from the end of the bed, so you had to close the closet door to pass through. The living area was well equipped with a large sofa and coffee table and an ottoman. Next to that was the work area with a desk, chair and phone and directly opposite that was a wet bar with a coffee maker and refrigerator (or maybe it was a microwave - I honestly forgot; sorry). The bathroom was small but adequate with the sink outside in an alcove opposite. The flatscreen TV was smartly placed in between the sleeping and living areas so that you just swing the TV to where you are - you don't need two TV's. There is a dividing wall between the sleeping and living areas which probably made the room feel smaller than what it was. The suite and the hotel in general are decorated in a light blue (aqua) and green color scheme which was to me very relaxing to the senses, espe- cially considering that I was in NOLA during the middle of July. The one big problem with the room was that the bed was not firm at all!! I kept sinking and moving in it, making it hard to go to sleep right away, ironic since the location of the room was the quietest in the hotel (that inner courtyard). I have not had this experience in any other Marriott property so this was hopefully just a one-off, but I wonder if all the beds in the hotel were like this or was it just me. I just made the best of it and got used to this as well as i could.

The included breakfast was good with a lot of food but should have had some variety. Always
scrambled eggs (no other way) and always the same pastries and breads and juices. Also,
I would have liked to see more of a fruit selection than what was offered. The meat selection
however was rotated daily, but ideally this buffet needed more. The breakfast area had plenty
of seating with tables and chairs in various configurations and a large living room with sofas and a TV. The lobby is sparsely furnished with a few chairs and a sofa, but the living/break- fast area is the big gathering place so no problem.

Other features in the hotel were a 24-hour market for snacks, sundries, and souvenirs and
a swimming pool in another enclosed courtyard. Didn't use the pool but it looked kind of small
for all the people who were trying to use it. Also, the rooms facing the pool may be potentially
noisy (the pool is open till well after dark) so consider this when picking a room.

My biggest gripe was with the business center which 1) was right next to the breakfast area, thus affording no privacy, 2) had only two computers, and the biggie 3) one of the computers
was enabled with a firewall which blocked my ISP and other websites I wished to use. The other
computer was not a problem and uesd it to check my E-mails and such, but I had to wait for
that computer to become free as the other was useless to me. And this incident leads me to the
one member of the hotel staff who I had a problem with who I reported the above problem to.
His name is Sean, one of the managers (usually in at night) and who treated my problem with
total indifference. He told me that the computer I was able to use should have blocked my ISP
and should only access the sites on the computer's program. I told him that if the hotel has a
business center the users should have free and total access to the internet - not being able to
would defeat the purpose of having a business center to begin with. Sean then went on to tell
me that if I had such a problem with the computers I should have brought my own or to go to the
central library. This attitude and explanation is totally unacceptable to me and is not a problem
I have had in any other hotel where internet access is advertised as being complimentary. And
for the record I have stayed at other Marriott properties (as well as other brands) and have had no trouble accessing the internet as I wished. I wonder if this is a shift in Marriott's policy dictated by its corporate bigwigs or whether it is only this hotel. This problem will indeed make me rethink whether I avail myself of Marriott properties in the future. This may be less of an issue to some people but it matters to me.

As to the hotel's location, it is about a 15-20 minute walk from Jackson Square (the heart of the
French Quarter) and about 10 minutes to Canal Street where the streetcars to the Art Museum can be found. The St. Charles Avenue streetcar is a few minutes walk up St. Joseph Street from
the hotel. Use it if you want to go to the Garden District, Loyola/Tulane Universities or the Zoo.
Two blocks in the opposite direction is the Waterfront Streetcar which you can take to the Aqua
rium and to the French Market (the end of the French Quarter). The Arts/Warehouse District
where the hotel is located has many great restaurants (try A Mano and Emeril's) many art galle-
ries on Julia Street and several meseums - the WWII Museum, the Contemporary Art Museum,
the Civil War Museum, the Children's Museum and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. The
famed Riverwalk Marketplace, that huge shopping mall on the riverfront is closed for a total
renovation and makeover and is scheduled to reopen in early 2014.

So, the SpringHill Suites Convention Center is a good choice if the price is right but the proper- ty needs to fix the above issues to make it an even more welcoming and viable place to stay in New Orleans. Would I consider this hotel in the future? I would like to but I have not yet received feedback from the online questionnaire I responded to afer my stay, so unless I am sure that the above issues are resolved (esp. the computer issues) all I can say is I'll see. The hotel has a lot of good things going for it and I would like to see a better overall experience. As I said, I'll see.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the landscaped interior courtyard (not the pool area!!!) for the quietest ex- perien...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank intrepidtrav

Dear Guest, Thank you for your response. I will try and locate your survey so that I may personally respond to your concerns. I look forward so speaking with you soon.