“Clean, quiet, a real find in the French Quarter”

Le Richelieu in the French Quarter
Ranked #43 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Richelieu is a small hotel a couple of blocks off Bourbon Street. It is quiet but still centrally located, and perfect for those who really enjoy walking everywhere. The rooms are not fancy, but are clean, have everything you need, including free internet. My one complaint was that the water temperature when one took a shower was kind of funky, would go from hot to cold and hard to regulate. Housekeeping did a great job, got in and out and was very pleasant. There is a little bar/cafe in the back and a pool with outdoor seating surrounding it, great for sipping the free coffee in the AM. The front desk staff are very helpful and full of suggestions about places to visit. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We would go back to this hotel. The location in the French Quarter was perfect...we walked to everything. There was a $20 fee per day to keep your car in their gated lot...which was definitely worth it....parking is really hard to find around there. While the hotel is historic, our room was very nice and had a lot of character. Our room was very quiet. (4th floor) We had a view of the courtyard and the New Orleans skyline.The staff was great, and there was a really nice little courtyard with a pool...very relaxing.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I don't want to totally trash the whole hotel but from what i seen over there, it did not get my nod of approval. This has one thing going for it and that it is close to Decatur St. and that is all.
Very old place and i know that because this is New Orleans but they need some today upgrades & fixing. I don't want to go on and on about it but for what they are charging, i could have did better staying uptown or in the CBD.
I don't know if some of these reviews are from the owners or the employees but this hotel is not like what these reviews are saying.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I was really looking forward to staying in a historic property in the French Quarter. Unfortunately, during my stay New Orleans was cold and Le Richelieu was not prepared, so the room was either freezing or overheated. But the worst part was housekeeping: our first morning they knocked at 9 am, we told them we would be out in a few minutes but when we came back *after noon* the room was still not made. Had to ask. And the next morning --when I was exhausted due to the room temp situation -- housekeeping woke us up at 9 am again! We were told the early knock was to take towels? So my lesson: ALWAYS put a DND sign on the door regardless of when you think you will wake up. The front desk staff was charming, the lounge-bar a little sad, and the hotel has a very nice location in the quiet part of the quarter, but we left a day early. For the price, you can do much better in the Quarter.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank karendor
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The hotel has a lot to offer if you are looking for a quiet, convenient walk to Bourbon Street, French Market and Frenchman Street. The hotel is warm and old world French and the staff is stellar, it was perfect for us.

Our room was very nice, albeit the bathroom was not modern and a throwback to the 60’s but it was very clean, very big and lots of room to move around which is more than I can say about some of the more modern hotels where the bathroom is big enough for just one, this one, you could have two..maybe three people using the sink and counter space and still have someone taking a shower, it was that big. By the way, water pressure was perfect always had hot water, and there was a nice brand of bar soap, shampoo (no conditioner), lotion and shower cap, there was also a hair dyer. The room was old world and very welcoming, and we had a balcony which added to the charm of the room.

The room was perfect for us, but if I had to complain, the bed is a little on the hard side, but not so much so that I couldn’t sleep, however the linen was nice, not hard and scratchy but of decent quality, the pillows were a little flat but that was because I think they were goose down, but there were extras in the closet which by the way, also had ample space, two suitcase stands for the foot of the bed or wherever, an iron, ironing board and mini refrigerator to stash leftovers and drinks (no mini-bar). There were extra chairs and a flat screen and table. It was all we needed plus the curtains were heavy, so if we wanted to sleep in we could do so in darkness.

Checking in was a delight, we were warmly met by Molly, she was very helpful and cheerful. We arrived early so Molly let us store our luggage, gave us a map, showed us how to get around and was just wonderful. You do also have old fashion keys, not cards, and have to hand them in and pick them up every time you leave and come back, it was never an issue, and if you have been to Paris, some of the hotels there have the same thing, so it just added to the old world French charm to me. I loved Molly, she would cheerfully greet us when we came and went and would ask about our day, she was great!

We did have breakfast at the hotel and the meal was perfect, the coffee perfect, all was served by Billy who was really nice and attentive and there was also Darren who came by with coffee refills and to make sure we were a-ok. I had a ham and cheese omelet with a biscuit $9.00 and my boyfriend had crepes $6.50 both of us had coffee and I had a small orange juice, our total was $16.90 which I thought was very reasonable for an elegant hotel breakfast in the French Quarter, and breakfast is served until 2:00 p.m. so it beats running around looking for a late breakfast place, besides, the food and service are excellent.

I’m telling you the hotel staff is stellar, they are always on hand to help in any way and our check-out was a breeze as well, Aryany was very nice and checked us out and again offered to store our luggage since we weren’t leaving for the airport for still a few more hours. We didn’t drive but I know there was a car lot somewhere behind the hotel, not sure of the price but there were always taxis out front if we needed one.

I would definitely come back to this hotel, it was perfect for us….no worries, and if you have an issue, I’m sure Molly or Aryany will take good care of you, book without concern.

2  Thank boo2U
Reviewed 19 March 2012

le richielieu is perfect for those who want to be located in the french quarter but away from the crowds and noise. it's not "luxury", but its room rate is more than fair. ask for a room with a balcony.

1  Thank ponsoldt
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have stayed here may times and once again I was in mold room: 214. This room is special because it is a corner room on a shared balcony Andy's can see the French Market from there. The staff is considered extended family members. Say hi to Pam at the front desk when you arrive. Highly, highly recommend this quiet hotel at the end of thenFrench Quarter within walking distance of everything good (and bad).

Stayed: March 2012