“Christmas Week”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Terrell House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I had a wonderful experience at the Terrell House. The accomodations were clean and we had plenty of space for all our needs. Stayed in the red room and the creole house. The food was terrific and the service was great. Linda and Anika were really helpful when we needed an extra room. The location is also a plus, blocks from St. Charles trolley, walking distance to everything on Magazine St. or the French Quarter in the other direction. Will definitely stay here the next time I am in NOLA.

Room Tip: Red Room was a nice sized standard room off the courtyard and the creole house is a two bedroom/1 ba...
2  Thank Jeffrey F

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Our family was fortunate to stay at the Terrell House during the holiday season. The festive atmosphere created a beautiful backdrop to showcase this magnificently restored home. The excellent food, with a local flair, prepared us for the day. Miss Linda and her knowledgable staff provided useful information. The easy access to the trolley and bus system, both within walking distance, allow one the opportunity to enjoy everything from the colleges of Tulane and Loyola to the French Quarter. Also nearby are the many eateries, trendy shops and amazing homes. The Terrell House is a jewel and Miss Linda O'Brien a treasure. It is easy for guests at the Terrell House to enjoy the Big Easy.
Les Bon Temp Roulez!!!
Ree Finken
Spring Lake, New Jersey

Room Tip: My children were in the Creole carriage house and I in the gold room. As an early riser, I had the...
2  Thank reefinken
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My husband and I stayed this week in Terrel House's Gold Suite, which is absolutely gorgeous. The furnishings are antique yet extremely comfortable, and the rooms are spotlessly clean with beautiful wood floors, plush oriental rugs, ceiling fans, and high ceilings. The bed linens are the softest imaginable and an abundance of feather pillows are provided. The suite has large windows with heavy old wavy glass, a private balcony with a view of the cityscape, and a wonderful bathroom with a shower, deep tub, and plenty of hot water. The very best thing about this B&B is the hospitality. Both Linda and Annika are extremely gracious Southern ladies who go out of their way to make sure guests feel at home. The breakfasts are to absolutely die for. We could not have asked for a more wonderful experience. We'll be returning!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor of the main house are spectacular. Carriage house rooms are charmingly co...
2  Thank SmithandHeart
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We had high expectations of this B&B while visiting NO. It started off bad and got worse. We rang the front bell and was greeted by Linda. We were immediately wisked through the house and into the back carriage house without so much of a mention of the building, area, rooms, breakfast, ect. There was no welcome, kind words or any help whatsover. Within 5 minutes we were made aware there was no internet in the back carriage house. When I booked this B&B, the most important feature I needed was internet as this was a working vacation We were told the internet broke a while ago and that it was too expensive to fix. We were told to come to the main house if we wanted to get on the internet. This was NOT convienient or appreciated. There was no apology or any remedy to make this situation right.

We were rarely greated at breakfast and there was never room for us at the table so we got our plates and moved to the couch.

It wasn't until the 3rd day there that we told how to enter into the front door. We were only given instructions on the back door. We were also never told there was a fridge and water for our use until day 4.

We were disappointed in our room. (the twin room in the carriage house). Immediately we noticed a huge hair ball on the bathroom floor. The carpet was filthy and the room looked to have needed a deep cleaning, not just a once over when a guest leaves. Also, there were no operational windows in our room which was not only a safety issue but we it would have been nice to have fresh air.

We actually tried to find another B&B or hotel while we were there but it was a busy weekend in NO and there was nothing to be found. There were 2 others guests who checked out early while we were there also.

On a positive note, Anika was very very nice and gracious if not a bit overworked by the owner Linda.

All in all a huge disappointment for our time spent in New Orleans and no words of remorse on the hardship it caused us to not have internet. Not even an "I'm sorry"

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Travelingtheworld61
Lolashouse, Owner at Terrell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Please accept my apology for the lack of hospitality you were shown on my part, the inconvenience you endured having to leave your room to get on-site internet access and most of all, the deplorable condition of your room.

I was terribly sorry that you did not let me know, when you were here, the extent of your displeasure. I would like to address the issues you raised as I’ve never had a guest/guests so unhappy with their stay (I have had a displeased guest using a GROUPON coupon but for totally different reasons).

It was definitely inexcusable and rude for me not to have greeted you in a cordial manner. I apologize and I do not know why I was not hospitable. I try to pay attention to guests when they arrive to know how much they want to hear about various things….sometimes I feel like “chatty Kathy” giving more information than guests may care to hear about when first arriving. I certainly should have told you about breakfast, the refrigerator, microwave and that the water, drinks, and coffee in your room were complimentary and should you need more, just let us know.

I was extremely upset that the wireless internet had stopped working in the carriage house a couple of days prior to your arrival and thought I had apologized upon showing you to your room, that it was not working in your room but it was working in the main house. I did comment to you how expensive the wireless system had initially been to install which made it all the more frustrating to me that it had malfunctioned. I never said it would be too expensive to repair. I told you the broken part had been ordered and as soon as it arrived, someone would be out to install it. I did know you would be inconvenienced as you had told me you had wanted to work in your pajamas in your room in the mornings, at night and at your leisure. We discussed the problem on several occasions as I tried to keep you updated on the replacement part, etc. Each time you seemed to react with understanding to the situation. I did feel terribly that the system was not working in your room and was distressed that you had to come into the main house to access the internet. I tried to convey that sentiment to you but obviously I did not.

We try very hard to schedule breakfast so everyone can have a seat at the table without being too rigid about times guests should eat. Unfortunately, when we are extremely booked, as we were when you were here, we are not always successful in this endeavor. As we have tables and chairs in the courtyard, when the weather is nice, some guests prefer to eat there rather than the dining room. That usually provides enough pleasant, additional seating. I am sorry that you were never able to sit at the dining room table. Annikia and I did discuss between ourselves where you were eating. Annikia had thought you preferred the living room or den so you could work on your computers while you ate. That was a mistake on our part.

No guest checked out early. The guests I believe you were referring to had booked a room on the 3rd floor of the main house….it was the only room I had and they were told when booking the room how steep the stairs were to the 3rd floor but they felt it would be fine. Once here, the stairs were a problem for them. As I was completely booked that weekend, I asked a young couple in the carriage house with a ground level room if they would mind changing rooms with the other couple. They graciously agreed to change rooms. To my knowledge, everyone concerned seemed happy with the resolution to the problem.

As to the front entrance….all guests in the carriage house have access to the property through the back gate. Guests staying in the main house have access through the side door. The front gate and front door can be problematic as guests have a tendency to leave both unlocked or will lock themselves out. No guest is given a key to the front door or gate. We do not encourage using the front entrance to come and go. I believe you had local family arrive at the front gate a couple of days after your arrival and you needed to let them in through the gate. It was not until that time that you were shown how to open the gate. I was remiss in not explaining the workings of the front entrance to you upon your arrival

Totally inexcusable and unacceptable is cleanliness or lack thereof in the rooms and bathrooms. We do shampoo the carpets once a month and try to spot clean between shampooing. We also do a thorough, deep cleaning….move furniture, vacuum draperies, wash wall, windows, etc. every 6 months. There is no excuse for your room having a filthy carpet. The giant hairball in the bathroom is totally unacceptable. I do care tremendously about the cleanliness of the rooms and appreciate your bringing this to my attention. Hopefully, this problem will not occur again. I am extremely sorry the room was in that condition while you were in it. I wish you had brought it to my attention at the time so that I might have corrected some of the problems while you were here.

The windows have been sealed shut for years. I did look into having them made operable when we did the renovation but was told they would leak, that screens would be next to impossible to have made for the windows due to their shape, and that the Historic District Landmark Commission would not let me alter the windows.

I do greatly appreciate Annikia and am very grateful she works with me at the Terrell House. When we are as busy as we were when you were here, we are all working hard. To my knowledge, Annikia is always very gracious, courteous, and helpful and I am happy you found her to be so during your stay.

Again, please accept my apologies for such a disappointing stay at the Terrell House.

Sincere regards,

504-247-0560 (local)
504-247-0565 (fax)
lobrien@terrellhouse.com

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Wow. Terrell House exceeded my expectations in almost every way possible. My sweetheart and I stayed in the King Suite, which was absolutely breathtaking. The room was huge, boasting the tallest ceilings imaginable; the bed was very comfortable, supplied with tons of pillows and extra blankets; the bathroom was a little small, but very nice, and had an open shower area which was unique. Apart from the room itself, the house was even more amazing. I was seriously in awe of how beautifully Linda had everything decorated. And her breakfast!! Be still my heart. Her breakfasts were so decadent- homemade, rich, wonderfulness. Linda is so accommodating- at one point my darling and I were out and about and realized that we forgot to refrigerate our champagne... one call to Linda and the bottle was not only refrigerated, but she had set up a tray with champagne glasses and an ice bucket without even being asked. I just cannot say enough about this magical place! And the commute to everything you would want to see in New Orleans was perfectly reasonable. If you decide to stay here at The Terrell House, I could almost guarantee you wouldn't regret it.

Room Tip: The King Suite was amazing! But here's a tip: bring your own iPod music player or white noise ma...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SexyNortherner
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We spent four nights at The Terrell House for our 25th anniversary. What an extraordinary place! The King Suite was absolutely stunning! Infact, the entire mansion was unbelievable! Such amazing attention to detail. My husband, being a cabinetmaker, walked around in awe soaking up every detail of the impeccable restoration. It was hard to even tear ourselves away from this place to go explore the city!

The food was AMAZING! I usually turn my nose up at grits but somehow these ladies know how to turn grits into something heaveny! (It's called butter & heavy cream- don't even think about dieting while in NOLA!) Miss Linda was gone during our visit but Annika took such good care of us, I can't see how it could have been any better! It is rare to find an employee who seems to care as much about your business being a success as you do, but I think Linda may have found just that in Annika. You can tell Annika really cares about theTerrell House.

The location is just a few blocks walk to the streetcar. Very centrally located between the excitement of Downtown & the lovely Garden District. I can't say enough about this magnificent place! I agree with a previous review saying it should be considered a 4-star property. Comfortable bed with quality linens, gorgeous flower arrangements EVERYWHERE, including in the King Suite, beautiful antiques, decor unlike anything I've ever seen, a dimming chandelier over the bed. WOW! Amazing! When can we return???

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scubanutz2
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My husband and I were recently married in the Courtyard of The Terrell House B&B. I can not say enough about how wonderful everything was. Linda worked with me through email and phone to plan every little detail. She and her staff made our dream wedding absolutely beautiful. We live in Florida and I booked this venue and the rooms, sight unseen based off reviews and pictures. The pictures do not do it justice! It is a fabulous home and the rooms were awesome. We booked the entire house for our wedding party to stay as well. Everyone raved about the home, the food, the wedding, and the southern hospitality. Thank you so much Linda for all of your work to make our wedding perfect. We will be back for many anniversaries to come.

Room Tip: We stayed in the King suite which is gorgeous. We also reserved the rest of the rooms for our weddi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple