“Wonderful! Plan to return once a year (at least)!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Terrell House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Terrell House (red room) for the weekend celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. Linda and staff were very gracious...especially appreciated since we arrived 3 hours earlier than planned. The parlors are gorgeous! 14 ft. high ceilings, antiques, draperies... floor length windows overlooking the street and courtyard. Breakfast was a delicious variety with egg casseroles, grits, french toast, fresh cut fruits, apple and orange juices, and coffee. We met other guests for breakfast and had great laughter filled conversations before going about town for the day. Our room was was very clean, fresh towels daily, soft comfortable bedding, and all the modern comforts (iron and board, blowdryer, hangers, shampoo, bath soap, drinks including bottled water, coke, diet coke, tea and the most important while in New Orleans--community coffee both caff and decaf.lol Friday night, we picked up our meal and ate in the courtyard which was quiet and peaceful after our long day of work. We spent the whole day Saturday on Magazine St. walking, shopping, eating. The bus stops one block from the house so we cheated a few times and rode back and forth. Plenty of charming shops along the street, delicious bbq at Saucy's BBQ and sushi at The Sake Cafe. New Orleans is our favorite place to "just get away". I am so happy to have found the Terrell House. We loved the character of the area and are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Beautiful place to stay in New Orleans, everything you need right there. Our room was so neat with an amazing shower. Really romantic and clean and historical. We bought a house in New Orleans in the same neighborhood, because it has so much to offer. If we need to recommend a place for people to stay in NOLA this is where we recommend.
Clean, beautiful and friendly. Stay here!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vcolorado
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed at the Terrell house during Mardi Gras for four days and were very impressed. One of the few Bed and Breakfasts at the beginning of the Garden District, this 1860's historical home can boast of a charming courtyard with fountain and occasional feline companion, a home made-breakfast every morning, elegantly restored interiors, and a welcoming and knowledgable staff. It is a short walk to St. Charles Avenue and the parades, or to the heart of the garden district and the stores along magazine street. Much less agitated than the Quarter, we found this the perfect place from which to explore the city.
The rooms in the annex (we had the blue) are comfortable, albeit not too large, but all face the verdant brick courtyard and are quiet and shady-
Highly recommended for its charm.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GermanyNeedtotravel
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed at this beautiful B&B in our very own home as we went to New Orleans with another couple and lucky for us there was a cancellation at Miss Linda's home and she fit us in for 10 full days. This is a very elegant place both the small house we were in and the big beautiful home. All decorated in antiques and striking features. Miss Linda was very kind to us and her main helper Anika went out of her way to make us traditional Southern cooked breakfasts daily. I tried food I had never had before and loved everything she served us especially her sweets she served with breakfast oh my god they were tasty. The location is perfect right on the main road for the #11 bus to take you to the French Quarter in no time and very easy to get anywhere. The place was spotless with the cleaning staff in everyday to give us clean towels and new water, coke, coffee whatever we needed. I highly recommend this B&B as I own one myself and this is how it is done!!!! Thank you so much Miss Linda, special thank you to Anika for all her hard work and delicious food, thank you to the cleaning staff who even went out of their way and did my laundry when I said I would do it. We loved New Orleans because of this special Southern Hospitality we will be back!

Room Tip: If your travelling with more than 2 people get the carriage house its great! Its like your own home...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank totwanows
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I live just outside of New Orleans, and stay at Terrell House whenever I have a free weekend in the city. The Terrell House is exquisite in decor and Linda is a gracious host. The setting is elegant, yet not stuffy. There are balconies and a lovely courtyard for relaxing and visiting. The breakfast in the morning is gourmet southern cooking at its finest. You can either sit inside and meet other guests at a large communal table (including fine china and silver) or eat at a private table in the courtyard complete with fountain, flowers, and palm and magnolia trees. Breakfast includes fresh juice, true New Orleans coffee, delicious hot entrees, fruit, and homemade biscuits, scones, or pastries. Terrell House is a very short drive to the downtown area (with free street parking just outside the door), and is also near the streetcar line to the downtown and French Quarter areas. The rooms are lovely. I always choose this setting over a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank novicetraveler33
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I just completed my third stay at Terrell House and I so love this place. I have stayed at other bed and breakfasts but the atmosphere was never like this. Ms. Linda is a very talented interior designer and it shows everywhere.

The breakfast is outstanding and Ms. Linda and Ms. Anika turn out absolutely amazing food. The creme brulee French toast with cinnamon cream is to die for. There is most always an egg dish, some lovely grits casserole, croissants with almond creme, fresh fruit, in house made biscuits, quick breads, marmalade, etc. It's all wonderful and everyone at the table will attest to how much they love to stay there and almost all are return guests.

The courtyard is so charming, the flowers are so beautiful--Confederate Jasmine in full bloom and absolutely intoxicating.

The rooms are very nicely decorated and are different in color and design. The beds are so comfortable and I melt into the mattress after a long day and evening at some wonderful restaurant further down Magazine Street.

The main house is beautiful and the breakfast is served in a beautiful dining room with a twin parlor and matching crystal chandaliers. The table is set with linen placemats, napkins and family silver. The orchid centerpiece is lovely and there are living plants in most every room. I always feel like I have come home at last.

The ladies who keep the house do an immaculate job and are always willing to do anything for you.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite is absolutely the prettiest and most comfortable room and I loved staying there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Phyllis E
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We were looking forward to our visit to New Orleans and our stay at Terrell House and were very disappointed to receive an email from Linda the night before we arrived to say that she had double booked our room and it was being used until the evening for a bride to change in before her wedding. Linda admittted this was her mistake but offered no alternative accommodation in between our arrival (3.30 pm) and the availability of our room ( 6.30 to 7.00 pm). In the end we just arrived as planned at 3.30 pm and had to store our cases under the stairs and change in a tiny powder room so that we could head off to explore (and eat) in the French Quarter. Linda's niece Maggie did welcome us on our arrival and give us a tour of the house and locate a map of New Orleans for us (and give us a list of suggested places to eat) so that we could head off to the French quarter for the evening. When we arrived back at the house later that night we discovered that the wedding reception was in full swing in the courtyard with very loud music - unfortunate for us as our room faced out onto the courtyard. We were tired after a long day travelling and showered only to discover that the hot water ran out after the first shower (no doubt all used up by the wedding party). At 10.40 pm we were about to check out due to the noise when it suddenly quietened down - luckily for us the bride and groom had left and the party was over. Breakfast the next morning was adequate but there was no personal service or touch. Our second night was much better and breakfast the next morning also much improved. It appears that the house was overwhelmed by the wedding reception - apparently they do host several receptions a year. LInda was very polite to us but aloof, and there was none of the warm welcome that we had experiended at similar B&B's in Nashville and Natchez and continued to experience later on in our holiday in Savannah and Charleston. At no time did Linda ever apologise for the inconvenience caused to us. However, I would like to mention that the ladies replenishing the hot water and coffee at breakfast each morning were very helpful and ensured that we knew about the Easter bonnet parade and a small float procession that was happening in the French Quarter that Easter Sunday, and where to find a Post Office on our departure.

On the plus side Terrell House is a beautiful house, our suite (the Gold suite) was amazing and we loved the sitting room off the bedroom where we could read and relax. I am sure that if there had not been a wedding reception we would have loved our stay. My advice is to check if there is a wedding reception booked before you reserve your room.

Room Tip: Check if there are any weddinbg receptions planned before you book.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank scotcott
Lolashouse, Owner at Terrell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

I’m truly sorry that your suite was not ready upon your arrival and I’m equally apologetic that I didn’t catch the mistake sooner. When I did catch the overlap in booking – the day before your arrival – I emailed you immediately. It is most upsetting to me that I neglected to apologize for the inconvenience of your room not being ready when you arrived. Nor did I make it clear to you and your husband that I had no other room available for you to use until yours was ready. You expressed wanting to freshen up before leaving for the French Quarter. The only thing I had to offer you was the small powder room. Your room would have been ready within an hour after you arrived; however, I believed you wanted to depart for the French Quarter as soon as possible. I was very preoccupied with the wedding upon your arrival and I regret not spending more time with you and your husband.
In addition to being fully booked over Easter weekend and hosting a wedding, it was important to me that my fulltime staff have the weekend off to be with their families. I did have supplemental help, however, I was understaffed.
I do apologize for the music in the courtyard when you returned from your evening out. Like you, I would have found it quite annoying had I been trying to relax and sleep and then to run out of hot water on top of that would have been just about all I could have taken. Terrell House weddings must end by 10:30. Since weddings are on weekends only, music has not been problematic as guests are usually just beginning to trickle in from their evening excursions around 10:30. The lack of hot water was a mystery as the Gold Suite does not share a hot water heater with any other room and the bride had bathed hours earlier. I had a plumber out the day I got your review to assess the problem. He said one of the heat coils had stopped working and replaced it. That was the reason you ran out of hot water.
In all honesty, I don’t know what happened at breakfast on Sunday morning other than being a bit overwhelmed without my regular staff to help me and all 26 guests seemed to arrive for breakfast within minutes of each other. I was the one filling the coffee pots, water, and juice that gave you and other guests the information on the Easter Bonnet Parade that Chris Owens has done for many, many years in the French Quarter.
I’m delighted you found the Gold Suite comfortable once the wedding departed and that you had a more pleasant breakfast experience on Monday morning. I strive to provide every guest with the best experience possible-you are no exception. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Warm regards,