“Very big modern hotel.”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #66 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Rambling hotel, 28 floors or so, possible to check in and out without ever talking to a live person, I guess that's modern efficiency. Rooms are well appointed with good quality toiletries. Choice of dining and drinking options available inside. Parking available in adjoining attached car park, good for safety.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency New Orleans

Reviewed 10 May 2014

we got this room off of Hotwire, we requested a King, but were booked in a Queen room. since we were there for Jazzfest, hotel was sold out, concierge apologized and gave us free wifi access for the inconvenience (even though i think it was a Hotwire issue, not the hotel).

room was nice, clean, updated - fabulous view of the Superdome. we would stay there again for sure, it's a bit of a walk (20+ min) to French Quarter... but on the streetcar line.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brandi R
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My family & I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency NOLA for an orthodontists convention, and I must say that I enjoyed my stay. The lobby and hotel in general is beautiful. The hotel is huge and it was easy to get a little turned around, but the staff was always there and extremely helpful. The rooms were a bit smaller than I would have liked, but they were comfortable. We ate at the hotel breakfast buffet and although I thought it was a tad bit expensive, when I realized my husband and I had 3 made to order omelets and more the price was actually fair. The star of my stay was my waiter at breakfast. I brought my 6 yo son since he was on spring break and Brant was able to suggest the aquarium, insectarium and zoo as possible places for my son to enjoy. We were able to take him to the zoo and aquarium and he absolutely loved them. On top of awesome suggestions Brant was attentive and whenever we left the table we would come back to a folded napkin (if too dirty, he brought us new ones) and refilled drinks. He even asked my advice on braces for his teeth, which, as a new orthodontist, made my day. The rest of staff was very friendly as well. The hotel was nice but I would return because of the staff.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Lap of luxury...salt water pool. Great restaurants, comfy beds and rooms....super deal through Travelocity! One drawback is the long walk to rooms but speedy elevator system & mostly private rides. Really good shampoos & body washes . Breakfast buffet two prices was excellent with amazing choices. & great coffee.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is my first stay back with the HR NOLA since its "revitalization" after 2005 and hurricane Katrina. I had stayed there on two separate occassions up to that point. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. For a self-contained conference hotel, this is amazing. Large and plentiful space with nice signage all around. They still have the main spacious atrium hotel with a lot of life buzzing on the 3rd floor main lobby (restaurants/bars). Very nice and helpful staff throughout.
I don't remember the pool being so nice, but was pleasantly surprised when I went out there for some morning sun and air prior to heading to the festival grounds.
Our guestroom was a great size and close to elevators (No rooms are really that far from the 8 elevator banks) Wait time was what it was with the new smart-system that is implemented at the hotel now. With that many rooms, I know that the elevators are running a bit more efficiently than before... The Regency Club was truly a treat and adviseable to upgrade to. Staff up there was way too impressive... It is Hyatt staff, not Ritz or another 5-star hotel staff, right? Kudos to leadership for running one of the Hyatt large flagship hotels so well. Hope to see you all next year!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Regency Club floors for access to the top floor lounge. Really worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My friends and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for Jazz Fest, really because it was the cheapest available (still not that cheap). I'd say the stay was ok.

My main gripe was that there was some disconnect with the functionality of the hotel. Here's why:
-The elevators: You have to take two escalators to get to the elevators. And just because the elevator you take goes to your room, doesn't mean it goes anywhere else that's useful (ie the gym). I was constantly taking the elevator to the third floor then getting on a different set of elevators and such. So time consuming when you wait for up to five minutes for an elevator.
-There is no signage of the hours of the restaurants. We were hoping to eat at the pool on the fifth floor but we had to go to the third floor bar to find out that the pool restaurant is only sporadically open, depending on the staff.
-After staying one of our four nights we noticed mold on the ceiling by the air conditioner. We spoke with the front desk before leaving for the day and she said they would inspect the situation while we were out. When we returned, a different front desk agent could not find any record of us reporting the mold. Luckily she was extremely helpful and moved us to a new room right away, while giving us some room service credit and free wifi (don't even get me started that you have to pay for wifi in the first place).
-We called housekeeping to get more towels (they only gave us three for four people) and to get more tea as it had not been refilled for the day. Instead of one person coming up giving us both the towels and the tea, we got one lady bringing towels, then another bringing more towels and tea and then another bringing tea. Obviously there is a huge disconnect in communication.
-Concierge: rather rude. I asked for directions to Jazz Fest using the streetcar and was told in a demeaning way that it was the most inefficient way to get to Jazz Fest. I was so thrown off by his demeanor that I took the map and walked away.
-Rooms are rather small. Might not matter to some but for four people in a room, there was almost no place to put your luggage without tripping over it.
-If you call any department at all, it will ring and ring and ring. Plan on waiting at least two minutes before someone answers.
-Room service is NOT 24 hours. I was shocked by this. I thought the whole point of room service was to be open any time. Totally put a damper on the day when we spent 20 minutes ordering through the flipping TV and then when doing the checkout realizing they were closed.
-The room had random bits of dirtiness. We found foreign hairs in the shower and brown spots on the towels. Otherwise very clean.
-Water pressure and plumbing could use some work. The water pressure was so low that we couldn't tell if we washed the shampoo out. The toilet had to have water put in it several times for it to be flushed.
-The day of checkout, housekeeping woke us up at 9am for no apparent reason. They just said "OH!" and walked away. We requested late checkout...

The good stuff (yes there's some):
-Food was yummy and had a big spread, even for me, the vegetarian
-Front desk agent Alexis was awesome and helpful
-The view of New Orleans was fun to look over
-There is a cab stand right out front
-Beds are comfortable
-If you're used to streetcars in NOLA, there is a stop right out front
-The decor of the hotel is modern and beautiful
-Beautiful outdoor pool
-Toiletries provided were good quality
-Gym was GORGEOUS. Better than most membership gyms. And it has an awesome view.
-Ice machine was on the floor

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leela L
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I upgraded to a club room on the 27th floor and didn't regret it. The room was a good size(king room) with a nice chaise lounge. The overall feel of the hotel was classy and contemporary. I had read a lot of the reviews on this hotels and I read, too big, lousy customer service, room issues etc. This hotel is by no means too big, it is a large hotel, imagine that, I have to walk a bit... It is a pleasant walk! I had great customer service and my room was always clean and well cleaned every day. I would come back to this hotel! Spend a bit more for the club room if you can, the club room on the 32 floor offers snacks, water, juice and pretty passable espresso. The honor bar lets you poor as big a drink as you want for a good price. Well worth it...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple