“Essence Fest 2014”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #69 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This is place is so beautiful! Humongous! We stayed on the 14th floor. It was really a hassle late at night though trying to get to our floor. Because of the event it was very, very difficult waiting in lines to get on the elevator. The hotel is like a maze though. Some elevators take you to certain sides. That was the only con of this hotel. Hotel service, housekeeping, front desk staff, and concierge was exceptional! Close distance to superdome, not far from Bourbon and Canal Streets, quite a distance from Convention center though. We will definitely stay here next year! Definitely recommend this hotel for your stay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here with friends during the 2014 Essence Festival and it was a great choice. This is the closest hotel to the Mercedes Benz Superdome, which made the walk there not bad at all. There were also plenty of vendors near the hotel. Overall, the hotel was clean and appealing. The service for extra towels was prompt and everyone was very friendly.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently returned from an extremely busy sold-out holiday weekend at the Hyatt Regency. Being that the hotel was very busy, I expected long lines and chaos. However, to my surprise and delight, there was none of that. Lines to check in and out were short and the hotel had enough employees on staff to keep the lines moving and to direct guests to where they needed to be. I have to commend them for this.

As others have stated, this is a massive hotel, but it is also upscale and beautifully appointed. There is an elegant winding staircase and under that a baby grand piano. There is comfy but stylish seating throughout the lobby. If you have a guest waiting for you in the lobby, there are plenty of spaces to sit. There is a pleasant floral scent that is piped in through the lobby that I wish I had at home.

The hotel is definitely in walking distance to the French Quarter. I walked it several times during the weekend. If you wish to take a taxi, the staff at the entrance will hail one into the hotel driveway entry. The most I paid was $8.00 with tip. ( A side note on taxis – if you need coming back in the evening and if there is a large event going on at the Dome, they are most likely not going to take you because they don’t want to get into the traffic.)

I would have loved to give the hotel a five star rating, but two less than stellar experiences interacting with two staff members prevent me from doing so. When I arrived at the front desk, the agent was polite, but did not give me any directions as to how to get to my room or where the elevators were located. Had I not did my research, I would not have known where to go. She also seemed uncomfortable and gave me vague directions as to where to find the lobby computers. My room wasn’t quite ready yet – it was only 12:30 but she said it would be ready shortly. Rather than wait around, I asked if I could store my luggage, which they took care of immediately. The agent also said the hotel would call me or send me a text when the room was ready, which they did quickly; exactly 10 minutes after I had gotten in a taxi and went downtown. I also asked the front desk agent if the hotel happened to have phone charger (as I left mine in the airport) that I could borrow which I would return upon my departure. I even volunteered to put a deposit down for it. She said she would have it waiting in the room for me when I returned.

When I did return, got my room assignment and asked for my luggage to be brought up, there was no phone charger in the room. I called down to the front desk and was told one was being brought up to me and was on the way right now. This was not the case because this went on for an hour. I called back two times after the first call and was told the same thing: it’s on its way to your room. I got fed after the third time and went to the concierge’s desk, who told me there were no phone chargers available. She was gracious enough to loan me the one they keep behind the desk. My luggage was quickly delivered by Brian, who was a friendly, pleasant and delightful employee. I interacted with him several times and found him to be a joy to chat with. He should be promoted from his bellhop position purely for the fact that his customer service skills are supreme.

My room was spacious and spotless. There was a nice array of toiletries provided, plenty of towels and the bed was comfy. I appreciated having a mini-refrigerator as that is something that more than often has to be requested and paid extra for. The shower stall was roomy and the bathroom itself was a nice size. There was also a chaise/sofa in the room and a settee by the door. The room was bigger than I anticipated. Closet space was ample and situated out of the way in a corner near the bathroom.

The elevators: I can see how they would be confusing to some, but once you get the hang of it, it’s super-convenient to not have to hit every single floor in order to get to your room. The “smart technology” that it uses reduces waiting time. HOWEVER, if there is a mass of people waiting, like there was after the concert at the Superdome ended, it’s going to take a while.

The concierge was always helpful and gave some great shopping recommendations and even offered to make restaurant reservations for me.

The other less than stellar experience that I had with an employee was with housekeeping. The employee knocked on my door at 9:30 a.m. I had just gotten in the room at 6:00 am and had been up all night and for 28 straight hours. Granted, I did not have a Do Not Disturb sign on the door so I didn’t begrudge her knocking. I asked her if she could come back in two hours. She said “An hour?” and again I told her two hours. As I was closing the door, she huffed and let out an audible annoyed sigh – that was unprofessional. I’m sure I’m not the only guest who has ever asked a member of housekeeping to come back later.

I’m not sure that I would stay again, but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t recommend it to others. It’s great if you have an event you’re going to at the Superdome and its proximity to the French Quarter. You’re close enough to be minutes away from the action in the city’s popular destinations, but far enough to not have to deal with noise all night long.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The staff of the Hyatt Regency New Orleans were very friendly and helpful. I attended a convention and ALL of the staff went over and above to make sure that our sessions, meals, and rooms were excellent!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed in this hotel from July 5-8. Hotel is very well kept. Our room was spacious and nice amd clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location is not close to the French Quarters or the Convention Center but it is not a bad walk if you do not mind walking. In my opinion New Orleans is a walking city so just bring your walking shoes and you will
be fine.

The pool is also nice. There is a bar(not swim up), lots of lounge chairs snd even covered cabanas.

Overall the stay was great. I would definetely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First time to New Orleans for Essence Festival and this hotel was PRICEY but well worth it. I had no complaints about anything - everything was clean. Housekeeping was nice. A lot of choices of restaurants in this hotel which was great when you didn't want to wait in line for food down on the busy streets of the French Quarter. Pricey menus and drinks. Loved the scenery. Major plus to the self check in service. One of a kind, haven't been to any hotels like this. Not sure if this is just to beat the rush of check ins or what....but it was amazing and easy.

Pool Area could use a lil improvement. I was shocked there weren't any umbrellas for the chairs but only for the Cabana's which will run you $150 for 4 hours - YIKES! The music selection was also all rock which was odd since the majority of people there are here for essence fest full of r&b and blues. I requested to have it changed to get people more engaged but they said they would see what they would do. Pool isn't that deep either only 5 feet.

Other than that Check out was easy and smooth and I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: We had the 26th floor...the higher the room the better the view.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First, there was a mix up with our reservation, where they tried to charge us again even though we had already paid in full months ago. Evidently, they have a separate system if you're sharing a reservation, so while they were able to see my payment, my friend's payment was not visible. After about an hour we were able to resolve the issue (my friend had to print her credit card statement as evidence that she had already paid) and we were given a complimentary breakfast.

The hotel itself is really beautiful. It boasts three restaurants, a Starbucks, and a convenience store. It is a bit on the pricey side. It is quite modern. The elevators are accessed with your room key and takes you straight to your floor without you having to push additional buttons.

Breakfast was buffet style (not complimentary). In addition, the hotel does not offer free shuttle to and from the airport.

We were in NOLA for the Essence festival and this hotel is about two blocks from the Superdome and within walking distance of the French Quarter. The streetcar runs in front of the building, so all in all it was pretty convenient.