“Stay Elsewhere to go to Superdome”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #68 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Stay Elsewhere to go to Superdome”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have no major complaints - just lots of little issues. Stay here only for conventions. We had stayed at this hotel years ago prior to Hurricane Katrina. Even though I was there for a convention, I was very pleased with the hotel at that time. No longer - If you stayed here prior to the complete remodel, please know this is NOT the same experience. While there are many conveniences within the Hotel, this is a typical convention property. While its obvious the owners are trying for all the latest technology, the fee for basic internet is ridiculous. You can get that for free at most lower end motels/hotels. The amount of time it takes to get to your room from the door going up and escalator and then to the back of the hotel to the elevators to get to your room is inconvenient at best. One good point - the elevators are very fast and easy to use with your room card. It does make that part faster. BUT - the convenience to the Superdome is cut short by the fact that you can't go out in the direction of the Superdome any longer. They say it is a property rights issue. We had friends who stayed right down Poydras at a nice hotel that actually could get to the Superdome faster than we could. Rooms were small and the Housekeeping was not the best. Bathroom was so small, I don't see how a large person cold get in and close the door easily. Room service was used for 4 mornings and did not arrive at the time requested any of the days ordered over their new "order in advance" option. Furnishings are already showing signs of wear. Best part of the stay - all the staff were extremely pleasant and very well trained - from the front desk to concierge etc.

Room Tip: get one of the larger rooms if more than one person. Bath so small 2 people cannot get in at same t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I rates this place as "average" yet I'd sum up my experience in a word: disappointed. So many little things went wrong and the service is a bit lacking. I was upgraded to a suite but the layout was awkward and a bit tight. My remote control stopped working and I had to call maintenance just to turn off the TV (longer story, not good), internet isn't cheap and I couldn't get it to work (ended up calling IT support just to connect), housekeeping was intermittent and they just didn't come one day. I had to call and request housekeeping when they still hasn't stopped by as of 3pm the next day. No lunch time room service (just breakfast and dinner), so business travelers that work from their rooms during the day need to be prepared to go without or plan to step out for a bite. Then there are the little things, like the awful smell in my refrigerator, the water leaking from the shower and the broken toilet paper holder. I travel a LOT for business, so I'm pretty flexible and easy going. I just ask for a clean room, decent food options and functioning equipment. I can tolerate anything for a few days, but I wouldn't come back here by choice. Sorry!

Stayed July 2014
Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was not my first time in New Orleans and definitely won't be my last...This was not my first time staying at this hotel BUT it most certainly will be my last!!! I chose this hotel solely based upon its proximity to the Superdome because I was in town for a concert. Check-in at the Hyatt Gold Passport counter was a fairly easy-- the bellmen, front desk and concierge staff were friendly. The room (#1708) was nice but had an awkward layout and was much smaller than I'd remembered from my visit before. My issues began when I realized was that there was not a microwave available to prepare my baby's meals. I assumed that if there were refrigerators in the rooms that there would be microwaves in the rooms as well. Well, I was wrong!! And it literally took an Act of Congress (I had to sign 5 pages of waivers) to get the restaurant to warm up a small bowl of cereal at breakfast that I had to prepare with COLD breast milk that was pumped and refrigerated in the room (with NO microwave). The air-conditioning unit was loud...like REALLY LOUD and woke my baby up every time it came on throughout the night. But my biggest problem and the reason I will not return to this hotel EVER again is because we did not receive any housekeeping service our entire stay. Even after calling for service several times and leaving the room for 2 hours in the afternoon to allow them to come clean our room while we were out, upon our return at 4:52pm our room still had not been cleaned! I called down once more and complained about our room not getting cleaned and just asked someone could just please bring us fresh towels & empty the trash. about 10min later housekeeping arrived and said that they were there to clean the room. I said that at 5pm we couldn't leave the room again and needed to get showers because our event that we were in town for started at 6pm. I asked the housekeeper for the towels that I had requested when I called about not getting service and she rudely responded, "Ain't nobody told me 'bout no damn towels & if you're mad about us not cleaning yo' room then you need to understand that we got 900 or so rooms to clean and we go by this iPad. Your room just came up! Now I'm here now to clean your room & I'll go get you some extra towels but you need to understand that ain't nobody told me about no damn towels!" My only respond to her was that I understood & just needed some clean towels. Now I have traveled all around world and have stayed in hotels much more luxurious than this Hyatt and I've stayed in hotels that have not been as up-to-date as this one, BUT I have never been spoken to in such NASTY and RUDE manner by a hotel staff member. I'm still in shock!! Upon check-out, I told the front desk staff that during my 2 night stay our room was never cleaned and about the barbarity of the housekeeping staff and her only response was that she'd inform management. From her lack of concern, I'm almost positive that she didn't. Needless to say, customer service (or lack thereof) goes a long way and even though 87% of the hotel staff members that we encountered during our stay were phenomenal...the old saying "one bad apple spoils the entire bunch" could not be more relevant; thus, WE WILL NOT RETURN!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and on a higher floor... our A/C unit was LOUD!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GoldenChild1908
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for a business trip - a really large hotel with some quirks. There are automated check-in / check-out kiosks - they are on the ground floor around the corner to the right of the "live" reception desk. You need to make the call to stand in line and deal with a person or use one of the four kiosks. I chose wisely and got the one machine that was working properly. One of the others was out of card keys, one was out of paper and a third printed on the paper so lightly it was really difficult to see what room number it was. The trouble is none of those "issues" crop up on the screen until you are already thru the process, at which time you have to go to talk to a person anyway.

After sorting check-in and getting a key, it is two escalator rides to the third floor atrium area to get to the guest room elevators (reminiscent of a Vegas casino hotel).

The rooms are standard (higher end) Hyatt; most of them open onto an expansive atrium that rises the full height of the hotel (warning if you have height issues - you may want to ask for a low floor) see pictures.

Breakfast seems to be buffet-only (maybe it is different whena conference is in session), but it was a large selection of hot and cold breakfast items. Just be forewarned - for two of us it was close to $50 with tip.

Check-out can be done with the kiosks as well. Everything was accurate on the bill, even the breakfast charge from just a couple minutes prior to checking out.

I would return again.

Room Tip: If you are afraid of heights you should ask for a low room. The atrium is huge and imposing from abo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Went to conference. It was a nice hotel. Obviously a bit pricey but that is what you'd expect as business hotel in large US city. Rooms are updated. Its a little annoying how far you have to walk to get to the elevators.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was a girls trip and we initial had a room with 2 Queens and got upgraded to a suite. The staff at the Hyatt Regency were amazing the moment we arrived. The front desk was friendly, accommodating & informative.
The restaurant food was excellent as well.

Room Tip: As for a corner unit
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte, NC, USA
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is across from the super dome, so great location. It has nice rooms - clean, good service, high tech elevators. The exercise room on 32 is great. Vitascope restaurant has great food. Room service is pricy, so have breakfast as Starbucks on the second floor. The meeting rooms are cold, do bring a jacket.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business