“Lack of attention to detail, strange layout”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #66 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This should be a 5 rating, but a few things hold it back.
First, the layout means you either have to go up two escalators or take an elevator to the level where the elevators to the rooms are - not the most convenient.
Second, lack of attention to details.
On all but one of my stays, the current time on the clock-radio in the room was incorrect, and not by just a few minutes. Resetting it is a pain and it is not a critical thing to most folks, but that should not happen on a property of this quality.
On another stay, the tub/shower button was stuck in the shower position, which means that you had to point the shower head at the wall while you were regulating the temp. Obviously whoever cleaned the room knew it, because it was pointed that way when I started.
And, they really need more than two people at the front desk, even when I check in around 8pm, as others are always checking in at the same time.

Room Tip: The North Tower rooms are easier to get to (no high-tech automated elevator and shorter walk) and be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,181)

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Based on reviews we chose this hotel and would definitely return again for the experience and exceptional service. Upon arrival, they provided us with a room upgrade option along with breakfast and happy hour option which we took and was well worth it. Our bathroom tub was clogged and they came immediately to correct the issue. The elevators are by far the coolest using the key cards to go to different floors. Parking was a bit pricey and it's a nice walk from Bourbon Street but several buses drop you in front if hotel. I would caution you against driving in this area because we saw a lot of cars being towed. Would definitely stay again for the beautiful skyline view and staff were just amazing.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Modern and clean, but worst layout ever: check in to one corner of a city block, the room elevators are a block away at the farthest corner, AND four stories -- two escalators -- up! Rooms are in a sort of cylindrical tower; those on the inner side overlook the building's a/c, whose huge, always running sound is amplified by the tower's curvature. Also, it's located near only the Superdome and Tulane Medical Center; your legs will get a workout both inside and outside the building.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room overlooking the inner core unless you're deaf and don't care about a view.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The experiences were so awful that I almost did not sleep the whole night because of the three motors behind the hotel.

I bid the hotel on priceline though I still paid a good price. When I arrived there, I had to wait for 20 minutes for my room thought the guest next to me got his room just the moment. They said I could head for my trip and get the keys when I came back. However, when I came back in the evening, I realized they assigned two rooms facing the swimming pool and also three motors on the top of the building just facing my room, making big noise more than 50 decibels for sure! I believe they did it on purpose because I paid a relatively low price than other guests. They know the problem and they are still selling those rooms, which I realized by the calling to customer service. When I asked them to shift a room for me, they said they were full and all they could offer was just earplugs, otherwise, I could buy some sleeping pills! Those words are from a four-star hotel, which enhances my idea that Hyatt is the worst among those high-scale hotel. I kept awake all the night and I promise I will never live in a Hyatt again.

Room Tip: Never choose the one facing the swimming pool!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sodaorchid
HyattRegencyNola, Director of Guest Satisfaction at Hyatt Regency New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay.
Your input and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met upon arrival.

I would like to first apologize to you regarding the opportunities you encountered. We pride ourselves on extending superior customer service and authentic hospitality. I am disappointed to hear that you had to wait 20 minutes for your room and you were not happy with the rooms that were assigned to you and the service you received when you asked to change to another room. I want to assure you that the room you were assigned was not based on the rate that you paid. Also, thanks to feedback like yours, we are currently working on upgrading all of our HVAC units to create a better experience for all of our guests.

Again thank you for taking your time to write a review. At your convenience, I would like to speak to you in more detail regarding your stay. I can be reached directly at 504-613-3943

Mysheka Battiste
Director of Guest Satisfaction

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I recently stayed here for a few nights on a work trip to New Orleans. The room was very comfortable (a bit small, but I was fine with it) and clean. The hotel staff was very friendly as well. There are several banquet halls and conference rooms to host very large groups. The buffet served at one of the restaurants downstairs was very delicious, I would avoid all the other restaurants as I had a few bad experiences with the food during my stay.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest floor possible. There was an event going on outside of the hotel and I could...
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. All of the staff were very professional. The manager of house keeping came by my room several times during my visit to see if my room was cleaned to my liking. I had an issue with the sliding door in my room not closing properly and he had it taken care of immediately.

I have to say for the number of people in this hotel for conferences the rooms were designed to be very quiet. I never heard anything from the hallway or the pool which my balcony looked over.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My room was clean, staff friendly and the hotel itself spotless. It was maybe a ten minute walk to Bourbon Street which is where you will want treat. While the hotel restaurants look good, you can't stay here and not hit Bourbon Street for some of the best fish and oysters you can find. My only issue was the AC was incredibly loud, but traveling as much as I do, small things like that you overcome.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business