“agree entirely with captainRonn”

Federal City Inn & Suites
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Federal City Inn and Suites is a great place to stay. It's quiet. Free parking. Large rooms with Kitchenette. Inexpensive. Safe. If you have a car, it's an easy drive to the $5 parking lot at Algiers point for the FREE ferry over to the French quarter and you get a great first impression of New Orleans that way coming in from the river. The Dry Dock Cafe is there at the ferry, so it's close and very good too,

Coming here from I10 going east was tricky. We got lost twice.. our fault of course. First we missed the Business 90 west highway going over the river (GPS got us back on). Then our GPS and the directions from the Federal City website disagreed and we went with the GPS first, and the website later and got totally lost. However our GPS pulled us out of it again and got us to Federal City. It is confusing, so take a close look at a map or two before attempting this. It is worth it! (The night before federal city, our GPS was totally wrong so we were not completely trusting her at this point)

We had investigated a 4* property close to Canal on priceline (or was it hotwire?) and determined that when you added on parking and extras, this property at Federal City was much less than half the cost of the 4*. If you like quiet, and especially if you have kids, this is the place for you. Be prepared, however, they do not YET have a pool. Apparently it is still mostly military personnel staying here even though this is not a naval base anymore. Although, the Marines do have a very secure large facility newly built in this former base.

Final tip, after you enter the gate to federal city from Shirley, go left at the stop sign, the road curves around and after about 200 meters you'll see the Inn on the right.

The Inn should provide better directions, and perhaps the exact coordinates for GPS units to make this an easier task.

Room Tip: no elevator, so if you need one take the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
4  Thank zapityzap
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Good afternoon,
First of all thank you for taking the time to inform Tripadvisor of your stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites on your trip to New Orleans in May. We serve many guests each and every day and our goal is to exceed expectations with eveyone and I am elated that my staff accompolished this. We look forward to serving you and your family on your next vist to New Orleans.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here prior to a cruise out of New Orleans. We arrived early (11:00a.m.), and no rooms were ready; so we drove over to the Dry Dock Cafe at Algier's Point and had lunch. From there we parked the car and took the ferry across the river to wander around the Quarter for the afternoon. When we returned to the hotel, the room was ready. During our one night stay, we met two of the receptionists, Sylvia and Audrey. These are two of the most gracious and helpful ladies I have met in all my travels. Our room was a two queen bed unit. The beds were excellent as were the pillows. The kitchenette was well stocked should one want to cook. While staying in the Quarter is nostalgic, staying on the West Bank for less money has a lot going for it. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice room, hospitable staff and safe surrounding.

Room Tip: There are no elevators; so if you don't climb stairs easily, ask for a first floor room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CaptainRonn
Norman H, Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

My staff and I would like to thank you for the opportunity to serve you during your recent visit to New Orleans. I would also like to thank you personally for taking the time to write a wonderful review on Trip Advisor.
We also look forward to serving you and your family and friends on their next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I did not find this easy to get to from the Airport. I queued up to get a ticket for an Airport shuttle only to be told that they did not go to this side of the river. I then paid a lot for a taxi. Standard charge for taxis was $33 to a certian point + meter from that point and then bridge toll to cross the river (total including tip over $60). Now I have been there I know there are much easier and cheaper ways. e.g. Could get Airport shuttle (about $20) to DoubleTree Hotel or similar location hotel, then short walk and free ferry across from the bottom of Canal street and then $8 taxi or walk to Hotel, If this is your first time to New Orleans (as it was mine) then you would probably want to be sure of the route before trying it.

Hotel is in a very, very quiet location - part of naval base? - and is not particularly well advertised. However staff were always very friendly and helpul. Room was clean, fairly basic, but does have cooking facilities and utensils (cutlery plates etc). Also has free WIFi.

Key advantage of this location is that if you don't mind a walk (and make sure that you know the way) it is about 30mins (fast walk) to the free ferry that takes you across to Canal Street from where it is a quick walk to major sites like the French Quarter, Street Cars, Jackson Square, Aquarium, paddle steamers etc.Ferry's run 2 an hour from around 6.00am to 12.00pm. Taxi from hotel to ferry was about $8.00 not including tip and hotel were happy to book this for you. However coming back, althogh there is a taxi rank next to the ferry stop, I never saw taxis there except when they had been pre-booked, so if you want a ferry back I would pre-book - again the hotel could book one for you. I walked back at night twice having failed to be organised and book a taxi. It felt deserted and quiet (and guidebooks suggest that you don't generally do that) but I never saw any indication of trouble. I walked two different routes both fairly straightforward but I would recomend that you print out a map before you go.

This was a great location for me as I don't mind walking, wanted to keep the price down - accomodation + transport costs - and it was a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank WelwynTraveller

My staff and I would like to thank you for the opportunity to serve you during your recent visit to New Orleans. I would also like to thank you personally for taking the time to write a positive review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have been to New Orleans before and wanted to stay somewhere safe. Room is a good size. Table and chairs for dining. Clean enough. Felt very safe. Very helpful front desk. Very difficult to find, call the hotel for directions.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edandheather

My staff and I would like to thank you for the opportunity to serve you during your recent visit to New Orleans. I would also like to thank you personally for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Our goal is to provide complete satisfaction and service to our guests and proud that my staff fulfilled your expectations. I

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Rooms are a good size, very clean and comfortable although basic,also the small kitchen area is well equiped with a microwave, hob and fridge. The hotel is located in a quite area across the river in Algiers. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, recommend that we park our car in a side street and catch the free ferry across to all the main attractions in orleans, ferry runs about every 30mins and it is only about a 10min crossing and everything is within easy walking distance, we found this arrangement ideal. We stayed at this hotel for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we would definitely stay here again. Stayed in better and also stayed in alot worse worse.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chumba1mba

My staff and I would like to thank you for the opportunity to serve you during your recent visit to New Orleans. I would also like to thank you personally for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Our goal is to provide complete satisfaction and service to our guests and would like to apologize for not fullfilling you expecations 100%. I have shared your comments with my housekeeping staff so we may avoid any future mishaps.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Hotel prices in New Orleans are high, this place is over the river in Algiers. This means a taxi ride to anywhere, including restaurants. The benefit is that it is very quiet. The best part of the hotel by far is the reception staff. They are wonderfully helpful and patient, always with a happy welcoming smile. There is no elevator to the second floor. Rooms are "tired" for the price paid. The bathrooms need an upgrade, mine had a torn shower curtain. The kitchen is nicely stocked and bed comfortable. Aircon was noisy. Overall it was an average Motel experience at an elevated price.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank KSC248

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a very nice hotel, with great help at the desk. She went online and got a list of restaurants for Algiers area that was not in any of my guide books. She had directions and a menu, too.
We were missing some drink glasses in the nice kitchenette and they got us some right away. It is roomy with all tghe amenities. I asked for a ground floor room which they gave us right next door to our friends. everything is very clean and comfortable. It is only a shortg drive to the free ferry to cross the river to the French Quarter. We are here a festival time and this hotel still has rooms at very reasonable rates compared to the main part of town. I feel safe on this old navy base area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Good afternoon,
My staff and are elated that we met all of your expectations on your visit to New Orleans. We serve many guests and our goal is too always exceed expectations as we have done with you and your family. I would also like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to contract Tripadvisor and inform them of your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
The Treme Hotel
#116 of 166 in New Orleans
Historic Streetcar Inn
#141 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to Federal City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!