“A Good Deal”

Ranked #85 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Singapore, Singapore
“A Good Deal”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

It is a pretty good deal for its price. Two queen-sized beds AND a kitchenette for a very reasonable price. The room was excellent, clean, and everything that was supposed to work did. Even had ironing boards.

The staff were really excellent and polite! They were helpful the many times I had to approach them. There was a tourist-friendly map of the French Quarter at the front desk which I found helpful. Water-cooler right beside the front desk as well. Food isn't easy to find here, so you might need to turn to pizza delivery. The walls seemed a little thin, I had a bit of trouble sleeping on one night with noisy neighbors across the hallway. But that was just one night, so. I have to agree with another reviewer that the biggest drawback to this is the location. It really isn't where all the action of NOLA is.

Here are my recommendations/observations:

- If you drive, this hotel is excellent for you, because you can choose to drive from the hotel and park at the ferry terminal for a small price. Then take the ferry and walk to the french quarter from the foot of Canal Street. Or drive like 15mins across the river into the city area.

- If you don't drive (like me), it gets a little tricky. There is an hourly bus (Algiers 101) that comes at the 30-minute mark of every hour. You can alight the bus near the ferry terminal. This bus also takes a loop and goes straight to the northwest of French Quarter (Elk's Place), but when I tried that route I realised it was right beside Iberville. I have not experienced anything bad myself, but Iberville comes up often when I research on places to avoid in NOLA. Try a trip in the day (no issues there), and decide for yourself.

- If you want to walk, it's a 40minute journey to the ferry. It could be pleasant or disastrous depending on the weather. I found the Algiers Point to be safe, and I enjoyed my walk in the day. Helps that the hotel is right beside a naval base, you get to see marine police and NOPD patrol cars pretty often. But because I travelled alone, at night I usually took a cab from the ferry terminal to the hotel, about $8.

The only one thing that annoyed me is that cabbies on the East side can be pretty reluctant to send people across to the west bank (where the hotel is). I had more problems finding a cabbie in the french quarter that would take me to Algiers Point. So you gotta make the ferry your best friend if you're not driving. I came for Jazzfest, and the cabbie at the Jazzfest cab line actually swore when I mentioned algier's point:(

Room Tip: They don't have elevators, so if you have trouble with luggages ask for a room on the first floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Thomas L
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Thomas L,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Federal City inn & Suites, in New Orleans. As we check in many guests each and every day I am proud that my staff and our hotel met your expectations.
I would also like to thank you for your advice and recommendations on getting around our unique city which has many diverse neighborhoods such as ours, Algiers.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to our city.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

not to hard to find, arrived after ferry shut down so came over the bridge.

had a drink in town and was pointed in the spot on direction from a local. just off the marine / naval base. checked in and went back out at 1am to catch last song at old point bar. a must see. stayed till 2 am
and then checked out room.

very nice, small kitchen, little dated on furnishings but solid not cheap

made the trip over the ferry 7 times. loved it. 1 dollar only on trip out.

please please keep the ferry.

ferry drops you right in the quarter, walk to art district or the quarter, or trolly to magazine, garden district.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank sunsetseaker
Good Afternoon Sunsetseaker,
Thank you for taking the time out of you busy day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites on your recent visit to New Orleans. My staff and I pride ourselves on our servive and providing clean comfortable rooms and I am proud to see that we did meet your expectations.
As you are aware New Orleans is made up of many diverse cultures and neighborhood's with ours, Algiers, being one and it's close proximiety to all attractions along with unique ferry experience. My staff and I look forward to serving you and your family again on your next vist to New Orleans.
Houston, TX
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were driving back from Florida and late on a Sunday were looking for a NO hotel. We found this hotel at a great price but were a bit reluctant because of the location on the other side of the river. We were wrong. This is a great place, with clean rooms, big beds and a bath, and a kitchen area with a 2 burner cooktop, microwave, refrigerator, sink, plates and cookware. Like a mini-extended stay hotel.

Nice staff, easy to get into the city and a great price - may head back next weekend!

As they used to say "try it, you'll like it"

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Bob C
Good Afternoon Bob C.
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Fedaeral City Inn & Suites in New Orleans. As you are well aware New Orleans, is a diverse community and our area Algiers, is one that can be forgotten at times. Our close proximiety to the city via the Crescent City Connection or the Algiers ferry makes this a convienent place to stay and relax. As we serve many guests each and every day I am delighted that my staff and our hotel met your expections and look forward to serving you and your family on future trips to our area.
Martinsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before our cruise. It was nice, secure, and clean. It is part of an old Navy base that is still being used to some extent by the military. The ferry to the French Quarter is just a short drive away. You can park at the ferry for $10 and ride across for free. You can also drive onto the ferry for $1 and find a place to park in the FQ. The area around the ferry is a quaint historic district from the early 1700s. I would stay here again. The area outside the base is seedy but don't let that put you off staying here.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Alan G
Dear Alan G.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know about your positive experience at the Federal City Inn & Suites. We have the privilidge of serving guests from different regions and cultures and I am glad to know that my staff and our hotel met your expectations and we also look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit to New Orleans.
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The biggest knock against this hotel, which I found thanks to TripAdvisor, is that it's either hard or expensive to get to downtown NOLA. So I learned some tips during my New Year's stay:

- Instead of taking a cab to downtown, take it to the Algiers ferry stop. Then it's just a free, 5-minute river crossing with great views of the bridge and the skyline. You can get a cab back to the hotel, too. I found a great driver at West Bank Taxi Service (may not be exact name) who was pretty much at my call the whole trip. Caution: the ferry does not operate after midnight.

- When I wanted to save some money my last couple of days, I took a bus into downtown. There is a bus stop about 100 yards in front of the hotel. It's a local bus, so it takes about half-hour, and it winds around some of the poorer areas of the West Bank, but I always felt safe and the people you'll meet on the bus are typical chatty New Orleans folks with stories to tell. Bus lets you off in the far northwest corner of the Quarter, so you'll walk a lot .. but I enjoyed the exercise and the chance to see streets I wouldn't normally.

- The weather was kind of crummy when I was there, but you can rent bicycles at a few places in the Quarter. I would have done this if it was a little warmer. You can take your bikes on the ferry and it's probably only about a 5-10-minute bike ride from the hotel to the ferry stop.

So, how was the hotel itself? Exactly as expected! It's not a luxury hotel, it's a former dorm for visiting military at the old navy base on Algiers Point. They renovated it and for me it worked absolutely fine. Literally you can save $100+ a night over a basic hotel in the Downtown area. My room was very big with a nice-sized TV and a large kitchenette area with a mini-fridge and cooktop. There are no restaurants or any food sources near the hotel, so best advice is to pick up a few things on your way to check in. (They have well stocked vending machines, however.) I slept well, and the front desk staff were very nice. With the money I saved, I spent it instead on New Orleans' amazing food and some art that I picked up at the French market.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank JeffAtTheShore
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Good Afternoon,
My staff and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience as a guest at our hotel. I am glad to know that we did meet your expectations and that we provided you with a positive experience. I would also like to thank you for the details regarding the ferry ride to the French Quarter as this should assist future travelers.
Dallas
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed here during Mardi Gras when the prices of all hotels are sky high. We found this place to be clean, quiet, and a very good value for the price. The beds were clean and comfortable, and our room had a mini kitchenette, WiFi, nice TV, and DVD player. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There was no free breakfast. The worst thing was the location. If you aren't familiar, you will have trouble finding it Be sure to get the hotel phone number if you book with an on line service. Even my GPS had trouble. Not difficult to get to, once you know where it is. An excellent value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank retired42
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Speaking on behalf of my staff I am glad that we were able to meet all of your needs and we hope to provide service to you and your family on your next visit to New Orleans.
Waskom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night, we were very please with cleaness of the Hotel, also the staff was very friendly. The Hotel is located on an Old Navy Base, it was very quite, the rooms were big, they come with a small Kitchen that includes a stove, referigator and microwave. Bed were very comfortable. Will defeintly stay again. We had no problem finding the place with our GPS. Also close to The Ferry which is free to cross the River which putts you into walking distance of the French Quarter.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdiveswm
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.
We service many guest's each and every day and our goal is to satisify each and every one. I am glad that my staff was able to meet your needs and that you were pleased with the accomodations and your stay. We look forward to serving you and your family again on your next visit to our city.