“Other reviews made our decision”

Federal City Inn & Suites
Ranked #68 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Pleasantly surprised. We don't usually consider a two star, but the guest review was so high, the price was right, and we were an hour out from NO. Seemed a little weird at first since it was in the middle of a closed down Navy base, but it also felt very safe with all the open land around. I understand the Marines still have some sort of presence there, […] part of the reason the hotel is still open. Anyway, it was immaculate, huge room with two queen beds, kitchen, easy chair and ottoman, flat screen tv, table and chairs, desk, etc, all in very good condition. It's located about 1 1/2 miles from the free ferry that takes you across to the riverwalk area. We opted to take the ferry over and back during the day to avoid paying for parking. The last run was around 8;00PM, took some time to relax at the hotel, then drove back and parked to enjoy some of the night life. The only negative for some might have been the fact that it's 2 stories, and no elevator. Not an issue for us, and the gentleman at the desk offered to carry our luggage up if it was a problem. Chances are, if it were an issue there are plenty of rooms and probably easy enough to get a ground level. Staff was very nice. As you drive off the base, the surrounding area is very mixed, and we actually enjoyed driving around the Algiers area and seeing some of the older bungalow homes that have been so nicely restored

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if you can't do a flight of stairs
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ttime222
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Good Afternoon,
I wish to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a comment about your recent stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites. My staff and I pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms and service.I am overjoyed that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and will share your experience with our staff. We also look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit to the New Orleans area.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Clean, big rooms with double bed, double sink, bathroom and kitchenette. Good value for your money, great staff at reception. You can take the free ferry to the city and come back to have a quiet night in this hotel.
One downside: the cleaning team was knocking at our door from 8 a.m.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rattenpakker

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post your comments on Tripadvisor. My staff and I take pride in our hotel and I am glad that we have met and exceeded your needs. I have spoken to our housekeeping staff about being a little more discreet on their claening schedule to give our guests more time to relax in the morning. We do hope to serve you and your family/friends on your or their next vist to the Crescent City.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

It is a pretty good deal for its price. Two queen-sized beds AND a kitchenette for a very reasonable price. The room was excellent, clean, and everything that was supposed to work did. Even had ironing boards.

The staff were really excellent and polite! They were helpful the many times I had to approach them. There was a tourist-friendly map of the French Quarter at the front desk which I found helpful. Water-cooler right beside the front desk as well. Food isn't easy to find here, so you might need to turn to pizza delivery. The walls seemed a little thin, I had a bit of trouble sleeping on one night with noisy neighbors across the hallway. But that was just one night, so. I have to agree with another reviewer that the biggest drawback to this is the location. It really isn't where all the action of NOLA is.

Here are my recommendations/observations:

- If you drive, this hotel is excellent for you, because you can choose to drive from the hotel and park at the ferry terminal for a small price. Then take the ferry and walk to the french quarter from the foot of Canal Street. Or drive like 15mins across the river into the city area.

- If you don't drive (like me), it gets a little tricky. There is an hourly bus (Algiers 101) that comes at the 30-minute mark of every hour. You can alight the bus near the ferry terminal. This bus also takes a loop and goes straight to the northwest of French Quarter (Elk's Place), but when I tried that route I realised it was right beside Iberville. I have not experienced anything bad myself, but Iberville comes up often when I research on places to avoid in NOLA. Try a trip in the day (no issues there), and decide for yourself.

- If you want to walk, it's a 40minute journey to the ferry. It could be pleasant or disastrous depending on the weather. I found the Algiers Point to be safe, and I enjoyed my walk in the day. Helps that the hotel is right beside a naval base, you get to see marine police and NOPD patrol cars pretty often. But because I travelled alone, at night I usually took a cab from the ferry terminal to the hotel, about $8.

The only one thing that annoyed me is that cabbies on the East side can be pretty reluctant to send people across to the west bank (where the hotel is). I had more problems finding a cabbie in the french quarter that would take me to Algiers Point. So you gotta make the ferry your best friend if you're not driving. I came for Jazzfest, and the cabbie at the Jazzfest cab line actually swore when I mentioned algier's point:(

Room Tip: They don't have elevators, so if you have trouble with luggages ask for a room on the first floo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Thomas L
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Thomas L,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Federal City inn & Suites, in New Orleans. As we check in many guests each and every day I am proud that my staff and our hotel met your expectations.
I would also like to thank you for your advice and recommendations on getting around our unique city which has many diverse neighborhoods such as ours, Algiers.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to our city.

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

not to hard to find, arrived after ferry shut down so came over the bridge.

had a drink in town and was pointed in the spot on direction from a local. just off the marine / naval base. checked in and went back out at 1am to catch last song at old point bar. a must see. stayed till 2 am
and then checked out room.

very nice, small kitchen, little dated on furnishings but solid not cheap

made the trip over the ferry 7 times. loved it. 1 dollar only on trip out.

please please keep the ferry.

ferry drops you right in the quarter, walk to art district or the quarter, or trolly to magazine, garden district.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank sunsetseaker

Good Afternoon Sunsetseaker,
Thank you for taking the time out of you busy day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites on your recent visit to New Orleans. My staff and I pride ourselves on our servive and providing clean comfortable rooms and I am proud to see that we did meet your expectations.
As you are aware New Orleans is made up of many diverse cultures and neighborhood's with ours, Algiers, being one and it's close proximiety to all attractions along with unique ferry experience. My staff and I look forward to serving you and your family again on your next vist to New Orleans.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were driving back from Florida and late on a Sunday were looking for a NO hotel. We found this hotel at a great price but were a bit reluctant because of the location on the other side of the river. We were wrong. This is a great place, with clean rooms, big beds and a bath, and a kitchen area with a 2 burner cooktop, microwave, refrigerator, sink, plates and cookware. Like a mini-extended stay hotel.

Nice staff, easy to get into the city and a great price - may head back next weekend!

As they used to say "try it, you'll like it"

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Bob C

Good Afternoon Bob C.
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Fedaeral City Inn & Suites in New Orleans. As you are well aware New Orleans, is a diverse community and our area Algiers, is one that can be forgotten at times. Our close proximiety to the city via the Crescent City Connection or the Algiers ferry makes this a convienent place to stay and relax. As we serve many guests each and every day I am delighted that my staff and our hotel met your expections and look forward to serving you and your family on future trips to our area.

Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before our cruise. It was nice, secure, and clean. It is part of an old Navy base that is still being used to some extent by the military. The ferry to the French Quarter is just a short drive away. You can park at the ferry for $10 and ride across for free. You can also drive onto the ferry for $1 and find a place to park in the FQ. The area around the ferry is a quaint historic district from the early 1700s. I would stay here again. The area outside the base is seedy but don't let that put you off staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Alan G

Dear Alan G.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know about your positive experience at the Federal City Inn & Suites. We have the privilidge of serving guests from different regions and cultures and I am glad to know that my staff and our hotel met your expectations and we also look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

The biggest knock against this hotel, which I found thanks to TripAdvisor, is that it's either hard or expensive to get to downtown NOLA. So I learned some tips during my New Year's stay:

- Instead of taking a cab to downtown, take it to the Algiers ferry stop. Then it's just a free, 5-minute river crossing with great views of the bridge and the skyline. You can get a cab back to the hotel, too. I found a great driver at West Bank Taxi Service (may not be exact name) who was pretty much at my call the whole trip. Caution: the ferry does not operate after midnight.

- When I wanted to save some money my last couple of days, I took a bus into downtown. There is a bus stop about 100 yards in front of the hotel. It's a local bus, so it takes about half-hour, and it winds around some of the poorer areas of the West Bank, but I always felt safe and the people you'll meet on the bus are typical chatty New Orleans folks with stories to tell. Bus lets you off in the far northwest corner of the Quarter, so you'll walk a lot .. but I enjoyed the exercise and the chance to see streets I wouldn't normally.

- The weather was kind of crummy when I was there, but you can rent bicycles at a few places in the Quarter. I would have done this if it was a little warmer. You can take your bikes on the ferry and it's probably only about a 5-10-minute bike ride from the hotel to the ferry stop.

So, how was the hotel itself? Exactly as expected! It's not a luxury hotel, it's a former dorm for visiting military at the old navy base on Algiers Point. They renovated it and for me it worked absolutely fine. Literally you can save $100+ a night over a basic hotel in the Downtown area. My room was very big with a nice-sized TV and a large kitchenette area with a mini-fridge and cooktop. There are no restaurants or any food sources near the hotel, so best advice is to pick up a few things on your way to check in. (They have well stocked vending machines, however.) I slept well, and the front desk staff were very nice. With the money I saved, I spent it instead on New Orleans' amazing food and some art that I picked up at the French market.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank JeffAtTheShore
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Good Afternoon,
My staff and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience as a guest at our hotel. I am glad to know that we did meet your expectations and that we provided you with a positive experience. I would also like to thank you for the details regarding the ferry ride to the French Quarter as this should assist future travelers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Alder Hotel
#61 of 167 in New Orleans
Wyndham Garden Hotel
#143 of 167 in New Orleans

Been to Federal City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!