“A stately old orphanage converted into an affordable hotel…but still no ghosts…”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #139 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I’ve stayed at St. Vincent’s several times since hurricane Katrina, and it’s clearly improved every time I’ve visited New Orleans. It’s not a typical hotel by any means, and I can understand why it rubs some people the wrong way. But I’m more adventurous than most, and I enjoy the sense of being inside a living piece of New Orleans history. And during my last stay I noticed that the grounds, the management, and even the clientele had improved quite a bit. Even the entrances are secure at night, which is important in New Orleans, because even the nice neighborhood around the hotel has its share of suspicious characters. The most impressive new change was the lobby, which is now full of beautiful bronze sculptures. I’ll post photos since I can’t do them justice. The whole operation just feels classier, but it’s still the same old building, with a few familiar faces. Oh yeah, and it’s cheap. Really cheap. Like half of what the major hotels charge. A good value for a bargain traveler like me, but if you’re booking your honeymoon, best book a room at the Windsor Court for $300+/night, because St. Vincent’s isn’t a five-star hotel. It’s just a cool, kinda funky, but oddly charming and super cheap room in a terrific neighborhood. I’ll be back, maybe because I keep hoping to see a ghost traipsing down the hall one night, lol.

Room Tip: Ask for one of Miss Eloise's rooms, no joke.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KingOfAntar
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and thank you for choosing St. Vincent's Guest House for your stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Wanted to plan a trip from Houston to New Orleans on the cheap and found St. Vincent's online. Took the Megabus from Houston to Nola, the bus left at midnight and I arrived around 6 am. I took a city bus to St. Vincent's and got to the hotel. When I arrived the desk clerk had not arrived but I was invited to enjoy some coffee and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The cook there is amazing by the way with over 25 years of experience.

After a wonderful breakfast and some great conversation the desk person arrived. I had an opportunity to chat with the owner Peter after breakfast and he asked the clerk to give me a discount. So at this point I had an early check in and a discounted rate couldn't get any better right? Guess again the hotel is not only really nice but has a ton of character. The rooms are very clean, there are not a ton of frills but the uniqueness of the place more than makes up for that, at least in my book.

I highly recommend staying here. You are likely to meet some wonderful people and have an experience that no "5 star" hotel can provide.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Michael L
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and thank you for choosing St. Vincent's Guest House for your stay!
DURANGO
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have been staying at St. Vincent's Guest House since before Hurricane Katrina. This is the setting for movies sets such as as "Reds" and "Candyman 2" . My boys have stayed in several of the "5" stars hotels in New Orleans and given the choice always choose the guesthouse. We don't spend a lot of time in our rooms so like the cost of the room. There is a kitchen if we need one. Our rooms are always comfortable and clean. I am currently using the former orphanage as a setting in a book.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building on third floor are our favorites.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Anna V
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for staying with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This is a horrible and miserable place to stay! The rooms do not have any HEAT! There are COCKROACHES all over the place! The rooms are dirty, the sheets are unwashed and had a smell, the people who work there are absolutely disgusting! Please AVOID THIS HOSTEL!!!

Room Tip: Please avoid this PLACE!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Tykva

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I can surely say by far that this was my worst place ever to stay. Rooms looked nothing like the pictures, they first booked us a room no microwave,refrig..,no cable and no heat. So then we switch rooms ,little bit better still no type of heat at all huge room bed is about 12-13 ft from a 24in tv . I guess the killing part for us is these rooms are not equip with any type of heaters. WHAT KIND OF ROOMS DONT HAVE HEAT!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank IgotDreads25
Loxley, Alabama
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I made a reversation on Wed 11-14-2012 gave them my card # to hold till we got there Fri 11-16-2012, called the next day Thur 11-15-2012 to cancel (because of all the bad reviews i read) The man i spoke with Gabrial was very nice and said my card would not be charged that i canceled in time. Soooo I look at my bank acct Sat morning and I have been charged!! Called the bank done the whole dispute thing, found out they spoke with the Hotel, and the Hotel employee lied and said I told them I would check in Thursday...I have now called the bank again to start another claim, and have told my bank to let the hotel know I called from my work to cancel the resveration, I work at a police dept and we have recorded phone lines..............we'll see

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CRH627
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed at this guest house in November 2012 for three days and we could not wait to leave.The room was worn and shabby, the bed creaked and the television worked only occasionally. We suffered a personal emergency whilst in New Orleans and the staff were not only unhelpful but gave us misleading information which led to us making the 25 minute walk into the French Quarter. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A TOURIST IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR WHILE

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple