“Average, Could Definitely Be Worse” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Vincent's Guest House

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #140 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Florida
“Average, Could Definitely Be Worse”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Look, this place is not fancy, it is literally an old orphanage, I imagine alot of the rooms are not even habitable, but its 25$ a night. No warm water, leaking ceilings, but the door does lock. We also got upgraded to a full room. We had dorm reservations but we got upgraded for no charge. Several low income permanent inhabitants. Pretty close to the trolly and the garden district does have nicer areas.No room service unless you request it, I decided that it would be better if nobody went in our room. If I ever go back on a budget I will definitely look into staying here again. Not a whole lot of options in New Orleans for cheap hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
We appreciate your candor in your response... We are not a full service hotel... we are a guesthouse. The building is over 170+ years old so there are some aged elements that happen naturally. We make every attempt to promptly adhere to reports from guests of any issues in their rooms with our maintenance staff.

I wish while you were here, you had let us know that there was a leakage issue. We would have taken care of it immediately. We are glad that you understand what we offer and the reason we can keep such a reasonable price point for rooms. The Guest House has some minor issues that we are working on, however it is a safe and clean place to stay in New Orleans and offers our guests a stay in an historical building with a great deal of character.

We welcome you back on your next stay! :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Finnish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Completely HORRIBLE. No window blinds. Plastic sheets. Toilets did not work. Roaches. I was told it was their best room. Went back downstairs and requested another room. They gave me a key. I went to the room and someone was already in it...naked on the bed.

Walked down to a dark hallway and was propositioned sexually. Decided to get the heck out of dodge. COMPLETELY UNSAFE AND DOWN RIGHT NASTY!!!

They refunded one day of my stay and still owe me for the second. I decided to chalk it up to a lesson learned. It use to be a beautiful place...now its a FLOW HOUSE!!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jericho C
Jericho,

I am completely confused as to what would make you submit a review of this nature 9 MONTHS after your stay! If you had so many alleged issues, it would seem to me that you would make your supposed complaints while you were on property or at minimum... Immediately after your stay. But 9 months later seems to be a bit suspicious.

It seems as though your review is random...Your negative feelings and statements towards the property are without merit. In regards to the lack of curtains, there is not one room on the property or the dormitories that are without window coverings... Where would you get such a story? In what world would you check into a room and the window not be covered and not report it immediately to the staff?

You then stated that there were plastic sheets... Again, if this was a legitimate complaint, would you not have alerted the staff immediately? I believe what you saw was a plastic sheath covering that is used to cover the mattress UNDERNEATH the mattress pad that helps to eliminate any contaminations and/or bedbugs. This was one of the treatment options we chose to help to eliminate previous issues with reports of bedbugs, just like other hotels all across the Country.

You also stated that the toilets... as in plural - were not working. As with any other hotel anywhere... All of our private rooms contain one (1) bathroom with one (1) toilet. I am not sure if you have our property confused with someplace else that you stayed. Based on your statements of seeing a semi nude woman in a room, I have to assume that you walked into a mixed dormitory and witnessed another female guest possibly changing clothes. I find it hard to believe that there would be a woman just laying completely nude on a bed in a dormitory where other people are. However, without being in the room when you witnessed this I have to make assumptions that it could have been again a woman changing clothing or trying to cool off due to the temperatures and humidity during April in Nola.

April is a part of the busiest seasons for New Orleans, we have many international travelers from countries abroad that come for the festivals, mardi gras, jazz festivals etc. These events as well as the tourist lure of our great City bring many free spirited, young and un-inhibited guests to our property. IF this was the case, I would again assume that if this happened and you were offended or upset by it you would have made our staff aware immediately so it could be dealt with. We regret that were unable to cope with the atmosphere at St. Vincent's Guest House.

I'm just very confused as to why as it seems that with you obviously being a frequent contributor to this site that you would wait almost a year to post a negative review.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. We had to stay here one night before going on a Carnival Cruise and I read the reviews before going and I thought I could stand it just one night. I WAS SOOOOO WRONG.
First when we got there, our room was already paid for and charged to my credit card but they told me I still had a balance because someone wrote the ticket up wrong???? So we went ahead and paid it just to get through the night.
So we went into the room they gave us and the reviews were RIGHT. The linen was filthy. Stains on the covers and sheets and the pillowcases. They were very old and nasty. I can understand a old building but you can at least buy some decent clean sheets and bedding. Thankful to those who left a review, we knew to take our own sheets and we felt like we could make it through the night.
So of course the dirty bedding makes you feel like everything else is nasty. I didn't want to touch anything. But every other hotel was booked so we had to stay here. So we decided to hang out at Harrah's casino until we were ready to go to bed.
When we returned to the room, it was extremely cold. We asked the front desk how to turn up the heat. She told us that they had given out all of the heaters. UNBELIEVABLE. A hotel with no heat. We had to sleep in all of our clothes and jackets and were still freezing. I went to the front desk again to ask if anything could be done. She said no. Later she brought another blanket and sleeping bag. So we used the sheets we had brought and still had to use their nasty blankets and we still froze all night. What a horrific night.
I suggest you DO NOT STAY HERE. We took a walk through the building and it is a nightmare. They had a dog running around freely and this other big room with some old things in it and the carpet was beyond nasty. I didn't even want to walk on it with my shoes on. I will never ever stay here again.
I didn't see any bugs except on the very top floor when we were walking around. But our room didn't have bugs and probably would have been more tolerable if we had some clean linen and towels and some heat. The towels may have been clean but look very very old. We didn't use them. We waited until we got on the cruise ship to shower. All I can say is believe the reviews. That's what they are there for. I will never make that mistake again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cruiser123456789
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I am shocked to read this review. Especially since I personally remember you as a guest as I checked you out the morning of your departure and offered you complimentary parking on our private lot while you were on your cruise. You were asked at that time how was your stay... How you fared in the cold snap that took all of us by surprise. Your response was simply "it was cold, but we enjoyed our stay." So I am certain that you can understand my utter shock to read this.

Relating to bugs... It was 40 degrees outside in the daytime - if you saw ANY kind of bug it was probably trying to come in to get some warmth. This is especially possible on the thrird floor as the door from the veranda sometimes is kept open.

All of these other complaints about dirty linens are simply absurd as the housekeeping team cleans and replaces linens in EVERY room upon checkout. They may have been a tad bit worn... But never, ever would there be dirty linens or towels placed in any room.

This is not a high priced luxury hotel. We are a small business. These types of reviews are not fair and can be harmful. If you had issues why did you not address them directly to me when we spoke? You seemed not to have any issues telling me about the toilet that needed to be plunged after you left the room. Would that not have been a time discuss any of this?
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

If I could give this guest house a 0 I would - It is by far the most disgusting, unclean, unsafe and appalling accommodation I have had. The sheets were old and unclean, the roof was leaking, our toilet seat didnt fit the toilet, and the toilet leaked into the shower.
Bed bugs in the bed, and a hole in the wall.
DO NOT STAY HERE.
We stayed one night and got out as soon as we could the next morning, after sleeping fully clothed to avoid being eaten by bed bugs and touching god knows what.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Hannah M
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Ms. Hannah,

After reading your most recent review; I am compelled to answer your comments directly. The statements that you made were both harmful and exceptionally untrue. St. Vincent’s Guesthouse is NOT unsafe… We take pride in being in one of the best neighborhoods in the New Orleans area (The Lower Garden District) and our premises are monitored and deemed safe by our guests as well as the long term residents. If you have the chance, please check with the NOPD to see how few, if any reports are on record regarding the hotel and address.
I am not sure as to what you found that made you feel that the property was disgusting and appalling, however I would think if ANYTHING was of that great of a concern that you would have made the front desk staff aware of it immediately and not waited until you checked out for such comments.

In regards to the leaking toilet… Well, that ma’am is simply an effect of a building that is well over 100 years old. Upon you making our staff aware of the leak; maintenance personnel was sent to your room immediately and the issue was fixed. I know this simply because such occurrences are logged in our maintenance request book which is kept at the front desk. One of the things that you failed to mention in your review was that the room you stayed in was designed for handicap guests so the shower area in the restroom is adjacent to the toilet area to give accommodations for wheelchair access. So yes, a minor leak would have had the chance to run off into the shower area. However based on the report submitted by the maintenance person, the leak was contained around the toilet area.

The room that you were accommodated with was used to house a very high profile celebrity guest during the filming of the period film “The Butler”. During his stay there were no complaints, no issues and definitely no statements such as yours. That room is one of the best rooms on the property.

Lastly, The Guesthouse has been treated and maintains monthly treatments for bedbugs as a precautionary measure. If you have time to peruse the internet; you will find that bedbugs are a problem here in the U. S. for several hotel chains and even some of the high end luxury hotels as well. It is NOT an isolated issue and is being dealt with as swiftly and seriously as possible. Relating to the alleged bedbugs… After checking records, that room was treated two weeks before your arrival. It had been used a total of 11 times before you checked into it and there were no reports or problems.

I caution to think that you saw bedbugs in your room. Maybe you reviewed other previous posts and decided to add this to your complaints. St. Vincent’s Guesthouse is a mature hotel with a unique history and quaint persona. Yes; some of our furnishings and linens are older and in some cases may appear to be somewhat worn… BUT, never are they dirty or unsanitized. That simply is not true. I regret that you were so disappointed with your visit to our property. However, claiming untrue issues and making disparaging commentary is simply not fair. Again, I have to ask, if there were so many things wrong… Why did you not report your concerns immediately?

In the future, I suggest that if you have an issue or concern, that you alert the proper staff and give them the opportunity to make amends instead of waiting until after you return home to unleash such negativity.
West midlands, england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is the worst hostel I have ever seen and that is saying something as I have stayed in some pretty bad places in Africa and South Asia. If you are thinking about staying here don't bother booking as they don't honor reservations. You may as well turn up and take your chances. I had payed online for a room but arrived to find they did not have a room for me. They gave the excuse that there was a leak which reading back on tripadvisor seems to happen to a lot of guests. I knew this beforehand so asked to see the room with the leak which they wouldn't do. The person at the reception admitted they they over book the rooms and then have to bump people. I was told there might be space in a dorm room shared with about 10 people. It was in terrible condition. There were black bin bags covering the mattresses! I would rather have slept on the street which I very nearly ended up doing.
I was lucky and managed to find a much better place for about 10 dollars a night more.
It seems that many other people have had similar experiences here.
If this is the only place available my advice is to bring a tent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank travellerbobm
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
As of December 1st, 2013 St. Vincent Guest House will be under new management,,,

We have read your review and are in the process of working with the Ownership to make the appropriate changes that are necessary to ensure that these types of issues are corrected and will not occur in the future.

Please understand that the property is well over 100+ years old and has not had renovations in quite some time. We take every review seriously and are working fervently to rectify each concern and bring St. Vincent's back to its prominence.

We have several plans underway to improve both the aesthetics and overall condition of the Guest House so that as we move forward into the 2014 season we will hopefully be able diminish negative commentary and present every guest with a reason to post positive reviews and feedback.

We thank you for your input and hope that you will give us the opportunity to showcase our changes so that on your next trip to the Great City of New Orleans, you will come and stay with us and enjoy your experience...

St. Vincent Guest House Management
Odense, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

From the moment my boyfriend and I arrived at St. Vincent Guesthouse we felt at home. The staff greeted us very freindly from the moment we came, and continued being sweet, polite and very helpfull during our stay. The building is marvelous, and has a exiting history, just walking down the stairs, looking at the pictures on the walls was an experience. The pool was simply amazing, and the outside areas very charming and inviting! Everything worked perfectly! Besides the Guesthouse itself, it is also worth mensioning that it has the best placement for any visitor of New Orleans! The bus to eather downtown or uptown is just by the house, and the street it is on, Magazine Street, quickly became our favorite with its cheep and good restaurants and great shopping possibilities. As the last remark let it be said, that we stayed at St. Vincent's Guesthouse for a month! It is definitely recomendable!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit your review and thank you for staying with us.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I don't know about you, but the reason I had always, always longed to visit New Orleans is because of all the descriptions I'd read of its fragile, crumbling decadence. Tennessee Williams, Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, Greg Herren and many others painted a picture in words of a once exquisite city, half in ruins, its spirit undeterred. That's what I wanted to experience and that's what I found in the St. Vincent Guest House this past May. We stayed there for eight nights and yes, I would do it again.

Is it the Sheraton? No. Can you imagine Williams leaning on the railing of the balcony that overlooks the massive interior courtyard of this former orphanage? Hell, yes. Can you picture Capote sitting at the table just inside the scrolling front gates? I did.

The price may clue you in to the fact that this is not a fancy hotel. The rooms are sparse but serviceable. This is a hotel that will feed your imagination while providing a place to catch some shut-eye and stash your stuff during those few hours when you are not out exploring the rest of New Orleans. You did come here for the rest of the city, right, not the hotel?

That said, it could use a few small fixes. A re-vamp of the onsite restaurant, which was a pizza joint during our stay; more light in the stairwells; a person at the front desk at all times; more consistent Wi-Fi; a simple map of the neighborhood that shows nearby amenities and their hours and how to get to the streetcar stop for anyone without a GPS app on their phone. (Be warned: it is a bit of a hike. Picturesque, but it must be factored into your plans.)

If you want a taste of what it is to live in this amazing city instead of being a spectator merely passing through it, stay at the St. Vincent Guest House.

Room Tip: Staying in the main building would keep you from needing to navigate the stairwells that connect the...