“Excellent Value”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #143 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 May 2005

I stayed here for a week and found the staff to be courteous, pleasant and helpful.
This is budget accommodation, but it is charming and clean, the hot water is hot, the pool is clean, the breakfasts are good, the bus and St. Charles trolley are close at hand and there is an excellent coffee shop across the street.
The rooms are very pretty, with old handmade quilts on the beds and white wicker furniture.
I would stay here again.
C in Victoria BC, Canada

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank CMB-Victoria

Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 20 May 2005

We found the St. Vincent's Hotel on the web, and decided that we would try something other than a sterile hotel. Were we glad we did! The St. Vincent's is a renovated orphanage on Magazine Street on the edge of the Garden District. It is an enormous red brick rambling building with 72 rooms, no two alike! Renovation is coming along, but the real charm is the old Southern "make do" accomodations, such as slouchy, unmatched lounge furniture, creaky steps, painted sideboards, and lots of quirky ornamental architecture. Climb up the three flights of beautiful curving wooden steps, and imagine the orphans clambering up and down by the dozens, or take a chance on the elevator which cautions you to "Be patient. Elevator is old." Be sure to study the large antique photos of the orphans at St. Vincent's, notice the old sliding board built from the upper balcony to the ground (a quick way to move toddlers), or just sit in the beautiful courtyard and imagine the children, the nuns with their large starched winged bonnets, and the sound of song and laughter. I was so enchanted by St. Vincent's that I set out on a map treaure hunt to find the well-hidden memorial statue of Margaret Haugherty, baker/ benefactor of the orphanage, and the sister orphanage St. Elizabeth's, once owned by Anne Rice. What fun! The St. Vincent's is not luxurious, nor is it cookie-cutter hotel accomodations. But it is clean, comfy, welcoming, and full of adventure. With 8 or 10 staircases hidden all over the place, it's just plain fun to decide how to reach your room! (And will your key work this time?) The hotel has a lovely pool and a tea room, and your children will be welcomed with a big smile. If you want to taste the old South, this is the place!!! We'll never stay anywhere else when we go to New Orleans!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2005

I have to agree with the writer of 'was just fine". I also have no idea where the hysterical reviews are coming from. I guess if they want sanitary spotless rooms they should book the Hyatt.

However if you want good rooms and a friendly staff then St. Vincents the place to be. They were busy painting and cleaning while we we there.

My wife and I found the neighborhood very friendly and well lighted at night. It is a bit of a walk to the French Quarter but not too bad.

My recommendation for New Orleans is save your hotel money, stay at St. Vincents. Invest the savings by dining in New Orleans.

6  Thank dhay
Reviewed 22 April 2005

We arrived after over 7 hrs. of driving to learn that the price had gone up by $10.00 per night, and the deposit had gone up by over $100.00; the booking clerk from God knows where had already applied $50.00 to our credit card for the deposit.
With Thanksgiving football fans filling up other places and two tired and hungry children at 7 PM at night, we bit the bullet and signed the VISA paperwork, after arguing with the deskclerk over the sudden price increase, as well as the new amt. of deposit.
We entered a dingy room, with torn and faded bedspreads.....immediately we found that the tv would not work....next we tried to turn on the window air conditioner and it shocked me!
The little fellow who responded to our desk call was friendly enough and repaired the problems
The next morning I saw others complaining, as we sat down to a breakfast with no milk, no margarine,....I told the kids to pretend we were camping out for $98.00 a nite!
It was apparent the kitchen staff did their best, but the tired excuse," We have to go to the store" wore down after two days of no milk and no margarine. I watched as two older ladies from Australia sat and waited, and waited, and waited for margarine when I knew full well that was the same story the day before. Finally, they gave up and left.
The next nite the toilet overflowed all over the bathroom and the little New Orleans critters I'd noticed holed up in the bathroom ran for their lives and took up residence in the thinly carpeted area WITH US!!
I took the name of the owners and wrote them a letter when we returned home and their response to all our problems and overcharges in a nutshell was, "So, what?"
The cute photos of chidren and cleaner days gone by and the kind kitchen staff are not enough for me to ever spend another night in this dirty, urine scented, and bait and switch establishment!!.
After many travels and using many B&B's all over Europe, this is the most horrible excuse for lodging I've even been exposed to.
Somebody needs to report this sham to the Tourist Commission of New Orleans and the Health Department ta boot!!
Don't even think the place looks like the photos posted by the management!!!!

Stayed: November 2004
11  Thank Twinferret
Reviewed 19 April 2005

Judging by the mostly negative reviews of St Vincents, it seems that this is the kind of place for experienced travelers.

Yes, it is disorganized, small rooms, wicker furniture, no phones, no TV. But you go to a chain hotel for nice, predictable rooms. Stay home for TV and phone.

St Vincents Guest House used to be St Vincents Infirmary for Orphans. There's pictures from the 1800's of the nuns caring for the children on the walls. It has tall ceilings, long hallways, a charmingly eerie feel.

Another plus is that it's downtown, right on Magazine Street. You just step outside and can walk up Magazine for great shopping and awesome food. You can walk to one of the cemetaries (about 15 minutes), and do your own walking tour through the Garden District. You can also walk to the street car that takes you right to the French Quarter.

If you are considering St Vincents because it's cheap- you can also take into consideration that you can fill up on their simple, substantial breakfast for 5 bucks. It's not gourmet, but come on, it's 5 dollars!

St Vincents is not for everyone, and neither is New Orleans for that matter. New Orleans is the dirty south in all of it's beautiful, inconvienent, decaying, historical grandeur with a heavy shot of debauchery thrown in. I've been to NO 6 times, and my stay at St Vincents has been the best so far.

7  Thank FiveAlive
long beach, ca
Reviewed 19 April 2005

St. Vincent's is a Guest House, not a Hotel. I believe some of the negative reviews are from people that are used to hotel chains and not guest houses or hostels. If you are looking for an affordable, safe place to stay in a cool area this is it.

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and found that the staff (front desk & housekeeping) was extremely nice and ready to give great suggestions about sites to see and restaurants. Our sheets and towels were clean. We thought the pancakes, grits, oj, coffee and eggs were good. Our a/c & cable worked. Our bathroom was clean. There is a great little neighborhood that is filling in around them with all sorts of shops. a cab for two people to the French Quarter is only $6-7 and cabs come with in 5 minutes of the front desk calling one.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2005

I had reserved a room at St. Vincent's based on their lower room rates in New Orleans BEFORE reading reviews. Although there were a few good reviews most were pretty dismal so we were expecting the worse. Wow! I was pleasantly surprised. I mean, the place wasn't a luxury hotel, but that's only important if you plan on spending all day in your room. Who does that in New Orleans?

The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was pretty basic, with no cable, but I only turned on TV once for local weather. The room itself had weird purple paint, but the quilts and white whicker were pretty and I loved the tall ceiling and huge windows. I'd read there were problems getting towels so we brought our own but never needed them. The linen and towels were clean and the bathroom was new and spotless. Sure, the place badly needs new carpet, but I certainly didn't see anything crawling in it and it was freshly vacuumed. The building itself has a great history, and I loved the pictures by the stairway of the nuns and orphans who used to live there.

Be warned that St. Vincent's is quite a long walk away from the French Quarter, but we discovered it's a cheap taxi ride and taxis come about 5 minutes after you call. It was no problem!

Believe me, I've stayed in other places in New Orleans, but I'll go back to St. Vincent's next time. The parking was free, so you save that money on top of what you save on your room. The breakfast isn't bad, but if you'd like something better hop in a taxi and go to Cafe du Monde or Pierre Maspero's! Also, there is great coffee right across the street from St. Vincent's if you don't mind the horror-movie type atmosphere of the building the coffee shop is in.

Unless you you're really picky and plan on spending your New Orleans vacation in your motel room, I'd recommend St. Vincent's for a quaint, clean place to stay.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Federal City Inn & Suites
#68 of 166 in New Orleans
Wyndham Garden Hotel
#139 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!