“Saintly retreat”

Ranked #46 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Memphis, Tennessee
“Saintly retreat”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Beautiful and starkly modern hotel but with warmth. Staff was excellent. For example, we wanted a platter of raw oysters and only had 45 mins to make it happen before dinner and the desk staff knew exactly where to send us. Lots of white is used for decor - linens, gossamer draperies in the lobby, stainless and white bedside lamps, but still the Saint is not too modern as to not fit in a historic setting. I've stayed in the quarter many times and usually prefer to be right in the quarter, but this was close enough to make the stroll into the quarter doable (about five blocks to the center of the action). We tipped the housekeeper on Day 1 which was visibly appreciated. (Doormen are tipped; bellmen are tipped, but housekeeing often gets the short end of the stick.) We loved the bar and a small band there played fantastic 60s and 70s R&B and more - a respite from the bawdiness and crowds on Bourbon. I do think the city decision makers should step up its cleaning and daily sanitizing of Bourbon Street.

Room Tip: Stay away from a Canal Street view room - too noisy. Hotel doesn't have a pool yet because it...
3 Thank Discerning62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just stayed there this weekend. Yes, there is no doubt that they have to work out the kinks. They should start by retraining the entire staff. From top to bottom, they are indifferent, unhelpful and not even very friendly. Wife checked us in with two small suitcases. Nobody opened the door for her and no bellman was insight to offer help. Spent three nights at the hotel and ran into many hotel staff in the lobby and hallway, I think only one person bothered to say hello. There is no culture of helping or making guests feel welcomed.

Now for the good. The hotel is pretty and well designed. So what if it is a Deleno rip off, that just means it’s not original. It does not take away from the fact that it athletically pleasing and certainly does not justify a one circle rating. I guess its not cool enough usless it makes architectural digest. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms are pretty will sound insulated (very important for New Orleans) and well laid out.

Bar has a nice vibe for a hotel. There is a free pool table in the lobby. Jazz playing at night

The location is excellent. Easy cab ride or street car to garden district and magazine street. Walking distance to the quarter and Jackson Square. Benefits from being next to the Ritz, as there are usually cabs waiting in front.

Disappointed, because there is no reason way this hotel is not a 4 or a 5.

3 Thank Wiznut
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Friendly staff, great atmosphere, great food! The best hotel by far in New Orleans!

• Stayed March 2012
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I tried the Saint for the first time the week after Mardi Gras. I was unsure of what to expect, but I was excited to see that Autograph had a new property! The location was perfect for me as I was on Business and pleasure (it is New Orleans after all)! ;)
The exterior is historic and the interior is cool, chic and unlike anything else on Canal street or near the French Quarter. While it is true that the Lobby is a "tip of the hat" to the Delano in Miami....It is not a rip off or copy as one reviewer suggested. I can see where a casual guest of either property could make the mistake, but The Saint (at least to me) has it's own character and whimsy. From the oversize "King Chair" (great photo op), to the large historical pictures of the building, the Lobby brought to mind equal parts of modern and historic.
I checked in with a really pleasant young lady who quickly gave me an overview of the property...issued my keys and then made sure to tell me about the live entertainment in the bar later that night. Professional, informative and freindly check-in. I took the elevator to the 4th floor. When I stepped out I was amused by what I saw. The hallway was bathed in a blue light that at once felt like a nightclub. I'm still not sure if I liked the look or not but it was unique!
The room was nice and done in royal blues and white. Sort of a Euro feel. The bed was very comfortable and I had all the standard amenities I would expect. On the negative side...They have installed blacklights under the sink in the bathroom. I found this to be distracting and was constantly wondering what were the particles glowing under it's beam. On the positive I was thrilled with a fantastic view of Canal St. and I loved the signature scents of their shampoo and lotions!
I eventually went down to the bar...I think it is called the Burgundy Bar. It was bathed in red light and had a huge window looking out onto Canal street. I was a wonderful visual to sit at the bar and look out the window as the street cars passed by. I ordered a specialty cocktail called the Envy. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I thought the bar was elegant and remionded me of a speakeasy from the 20's. It was slow while I was there that night, but I imagine this place is (or will be) pretty popular. Oh! And be sure to ask for Abe! He is entertainment all by himself!
I did not try the room service or breakfast (A little to fancy for my taste). I will however dine at the restaurant Sweet Olive on my next visit as the menu looks amazing.
Overall I had a great stay. I really like the look and feel of the property. It is certainly one-of-a-kind. I think they need to work the kinks out of a few things and I hope they have their rooftop bar open on my next visit.
Bottom line: I would recommend this property to the Business traveller and the guest just looking to get away. It is cool, clean and a nice change from the stuffy, old and corporate hotels that seem to line Canal St. If nothing else...It is unlike anything in the area these days!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room looking out on Burgundy or Canal Streets.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Igetaround_12
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

It's one thing when Philippe Starck designs the interiors of the Delano hotel in Miami Beach in 1995 but another when a 2012 designed hotel in New Orleans completely rips it off, and in a bad way to boot. There is zero originality in the public spaces and the rooms felt lifeless and cliche. The bar felt as if 1997 was happening again with a hilarious velvet rope sectioning off one table in the bar area for the non-existent VIP's. The public bathrooms were poorly thought out and need some definite kinks addressed. Overall it's really sad to see so much money be spent on a new project in such a bad way. It really neglected the true spirit of New Orleans. Definitely avoid this property.

2 Thank jaysonman_11
SaintGM, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Jaysonman_11,
Your comments are certainly appreciated although we are truly disappointed that you found the hotel's decor so offensive. We always welcome fans and critics alike as it is inevitable that there are always going to be both. Please accept our apologies that the hotel offended your sensibilities and if you have any constructive feedback we would certainly welcome it, we are always trying to improve.
Fortunately for us, the vast majority of our guests find our hotel unique and fun.
Thanks again for your opinion, it is valued and welcome.
Have a Great Day!
New York
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Beautifully decorated, cool and sheak. A Delano hotel in NOLA. Great roms, big enough, cool decor, funky hallways, nice bathrooms. The bar is sweet and the lobby is great. A real jem. The kinks are..valet parking is slooowwww....but I guess if you aren't using a car you shouldn't care. Although, for $38 dollars a night, valet should be spot on...dont yanthink actually for 379 a night, it should be free.....The front desk gals are a bit young and inexperienced, could be nicer and more personable. Otherwise for the prices they are charging they could be a bit more appreciative of the guests.
Oh,,gyms just OK...not kept clean. Not enough parts for the universal machine.
No pool. Would stay again!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank dkrubes
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 March 2012

A few weeks ago I had a business guest out town and I took her for a cocktail at Burgundy bar of the new hotel The Saint, where she was staying. She asked for a glass of Sauvignon Blank. The two bar tenders had no idea what is that. When she explained that it is a type of white wine, the bar tenders started looking for it, but they could not find that. All there was - Chardonnay. Then she ordered Bourbon on the rocks and they served it on crushed ice. The place did not have any other ice! Because she was my guest and I suggested that hotel, I felt embarrassed. It is a nice hotel and the rooms look great; however, the service is poor and employees are unqualified. I am surprised that it is a Marriott property

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business