“Very Swanky, not for Families”

The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #47 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very Swanky, not for Families”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I'm currently staying at The Saint. It's very hip, swanky, modern and cool. If you don't like those things you shouldn't stay here. If you do, you absolutely should. The rooms and bathroom are lovely. The dark lighting and scintillating photos on in the hallways are alluring. The bar looks great and has live music. The bed is very comfortable.

Check in was a little slow. The guy at the front desk seemed to be new. Everyone smiled and greeted me by name.

One thing I really like is that they don't have standard hotel TV or internet service where you have to go through firewalls and silly LodgeNet menus to get to what you want. A simple password for the wireless is all you need and they just have regular cable TV, albeit a bit flat HD screen.

The location is right on Canal, which can get pretty loud at night. Request a room off of Canal if you're a light sleeper or sleep early.

Room Tip: The location is right on Canal, which can get pretty loud at night. Request a room off of Canal if y...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Great location - walking distance to everything - a very young vibe but we enjoyed staying there and were a group of women in our 50's. Beautiful lobby. We did not eat there, no time, we were in town for a wedding. The rooms were very nice and good sized for New Orleans.
Younger crowd will appreciate the pool table in the lobby, lobby bar, etc. Right next door to the Ritz Carlton if you want a different lobby bar!

Room Tip: Check the window treatments in the bathrooms if you have an interior room - ours did NOT fully cover...
1 Thank Sharonjarn
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at The Saint during March madness. It is a super modern hotel with old pictures and decorations, I found it unique. The rooms were clean and bright. The only thing I did not like were the hallways were dark, but I believe it was a calming effect. The location was excellent, two short blocks to Bourbon St., right out front was a trolley stop. Lots of stores and restaurants you never need a car at this hotel whether you are going to the Riverwalk area, the casino or Bourbon St. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Because it is on the new side I was able to get a very good rate for such an upscale hotel. I would stay at this hotel again.

3 Thank Katie458
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Two friends and I stayed three nights for a mini vacation in New Orleans in mid-March. The Saint staff were amazing: giving us great tips for restaurants, storing our luggage prior to check-in, providing extra towels and other extras. The kindest and most gracious service was a bell hop and front desk staff person that arranged to get us emergency medical supplies for a horrid cold ... in the middle of the night!

The room was bright, classy, pleasing and clean. The high ceilings really made the room feel spacious, and the bed was great; very good sleeping. The quiet was really notable: the thick brick walls really helped provide great sound-proofing - we couldn't hear our neighbors and very little street noise.

The location is excellent - it was just steps to catch the streetcars and a quick walk to the French Quarter. I adored the cucumber-enfused cold water in the lobby available throughout the day. One of the things that was notable about the hotel is its cleanliness: New Orleans *outside* feels damp & swampy, but the hotel was bright, clean and "dry" - very nice.

We found the lounge to be a great place to relax after a long day of tourist-ing; the staff made us feel comfortable while we relaxed to the sounds of Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald and others.

We felt welcomed and comfortable in this lovely hotel, and I will stay at The Saint again the next time I'm in New Orleans.

3 Thank Ann P
Houston, TX
Reviewed 27 March 2012

On our whirlwind weekend roadtrip to New Orleans, we were lucky enough to score a room at The Saint Hotel. The Marriott Autograph property is brand new and a true hit among other worn out and beat-down NOLA properties.

From the moment you walk down Canal Street and see the beautiful dining room with oversized chandelier, you know you’re in for a treat. The lobby includes many white, flowing drapes, an electric blue pool table and a see-and-be-seen bar reminiscent of South Beach– and don’t forget to try the fresh cucumber water!

The staff at The Saint were overly friendly, offering fantastic local tips for dining, walking shortcuts and even a half-bottle of wine and cheese sent up to our room upon check-in.

While we weren’t allowed into our room immediately, The Saint was appologetic and very informative of the situation and timeline.

Expect to find dimly lit hallways, however it is more for ambiance than lack of illumination. The rooms were well appointed with white beds and walls, blue pattern carpet and a navy blue ceiling. The Saints’ designers did an impeccable job of incorporating color and vibrance without being fussy.

The bathroom was equally as beautiful, with pristine white subway tile– a welcome juxtaposition from the grimy New Orleans streets– and an exposed brick wall, reminding you that you are, in fact, in an urban and historic area.

My only complaint for the whole trip would be the valet service. We called down 15 minutes before our check-out, made our way down stairs and the car still was not there. After giving the valet our number again, we waited an additional 20 minutes for the car to be brought around. I realize these young men were working very hard, but it was a holiday weekend morning– the management had to know they were going to need more valet attendants!

All in all, I would not stay anywhere in New Orleans again except for The Saint. An easy walk to Bourbon Street and The French Quarter, The Saint is all you’ll ever need for a business or leisure trip to New Orleans.

5 Thank jaimebrochu
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed 3 days over St Patricks weekend and could not of asked for more, Decor very different but we are all sick of generic cookie cutter hotels. Checked in early not a problem for the friendly staff , just a stones throw from Bourbon street makes this a top location if going out is your thing and the down stairs bar is a must stop in.Rooms nice and showers fantastic and coffee machine a great touch.

Will stay here again when in town next.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking Canal street
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tim B
Tyler, TX
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. I used Trip Advisor when I chose it. It was ranked in the #40s at that time but given its newness I figured it was still working out the kinks and it was worth a try. I stayed in mid-March and there is still a lot of work management needs to do to make it worth its roughly $250 per night charge.

The GOOD: Location is excellent on Canal and Burgundy. It is but a few blocks from the center of the Quarter. The building concept overall is one I like. Historic exterior with modern interior. It has a very cool modern vibe. Think "W" or if you are familiar with Dallas hotels, the ZaZa or Joule.

JUST TO KNOW: Interior rooms have views of concrete and the top of a building. That's it. The rooms are small. About 360 ft2 which is adequate but tight. The halls, as often mentioned here, are dark and blue lit. Odd, I sort of liked it. Our shower had VERY poor water pressure. The modern furniture is fine, but the corners of the bed are sharp and prominent and in the tight confines of the room found my shins almost nightly in the dark.

THE BAD: All personnel. Other than bellmen (Malcolm and Steve were great), the staff were under trained, unfriendly and at times simply incompetent.
-Check in staff were simply unfriendly.
-When used for assistance with concierge services, the desk staff were not able to complete a request (reservations at a booked restaurant), which is understandable. More concerning is that they NEVER notified me at any time of the status of their work. I asked every morning for four days in a row. No one knew of my previous inquiries. No one ever followed up and called me. On the second day, I took a name and when I came back on the third day to ask for an update, she was not there and had not passed on the information to anyone else.
- Housekeeping: the room was not completed at check in. There were decorative pillows on the floor and a small pile of trash from previous guest in the corner. The bellman noted this and picked it up when we arrived in the room. During our four night stay, bath supplies were never replenished and the coffee service was only replenished when we requested it. New Orleans is a late night town and we slept until 10 or 11 most days during our stay. Staff were respectful of our "we are sleeping in" door tags but on two mornings the gentleman vacuuming the hallway outside our room repeatedly banged the vacuum into our door.
- Valet: Simply understaffed. The young men working valet seemed competent but there were never enough of them. To me this is a management issue. But it is really tough to get in and out of this hotel on the Burgundy side street. We waited a long time in line at check in just to get our car unpacked. We learned quickly that if we needed our car we had to call WAY ahead or waits were routinely 20+ minutes for the car. At check out it was worse. We called ahead 30 minutes and still waited nearly 30 minutes in line for Sunday late morning check out. There were only 2 valet working at this time and there were a lot of angry guests. We were just going home, but there were lots of irate guests missing reservation times for brunch at Commander's etc. Note to management: if you are going to charge $38 a night for valet, you darn well better be staffed to handle what is a normal guest load. Ridiculous.

Would I personally stay there again? No. Would I recommend you stay? Consider it. But I would check back with these reviews over the coming months and see if management is responsive to concerns.

Room Tip: Pick a room with view onto Canal Street
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple