“Nicelobby but so-so rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #52 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Wadsworth, Illinois
“Nicelobby but so-so rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

This could be a great hotel. A beautiful lobby and hip feeling really set the expectations high but I agree with a lot of the other reviews that The Saint falls short.

The lobby reminds of the Delano Hotel in South Beach and while some may not like the mood lighting in the elevator and hallways I thought it was kind of cool.

Details are important when you aspire to be a top notch hotel and that's where The Saint falls short. Upon entering my room there were a number of things missing:
No Washcloths
No Bath Soap
Broken Desk Chair
An oily film on the Bathroom floor (my Colleague in another room had the same thing)

The TV had an incredible number of selections but didn't match the channel listing next to the bed and also didn't have HBO or Showtime or any on demand service.

My biggest complaint with the hotel was that on the TV stand there was a tray with a bottle of water, a bag of M&M's and a food bar. I thought, how nice of them to provide a snack. There was no sign or anything else to indicate these weren't complimentary. I drank the water and evidently it has an electronic sensor because it immediately charged me $5. Come on people, if you are going to charge me at least give me fair warning! I felt ripped off.

The next morning at breakfast our waitress was brand new and could not have been more clueless. She was nice but clearly had received no training. I fault the hotel not her. She couldn't even answer basic questions like the availability of oatmeal!

After I checked out of The Saint I stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel about a block away for about the same price. Wow what a difference. The Roosevelt got everything right and I give them a big 5 stars. Unfortunately, not so with The Saint.

1 Thank Maasai_Mongoose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Hughesville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Yes, the hotel was beautiful and the front desk staff very friendly and accommodating. We are long time Marriott customers, however, even with the good service, we would not stay at this location again.

During our entire stay, the hotel had a very strong cologne smell, 1980's Polo. This is not good when you have asthma or any type of allergy. The walls appear to be paper thin and could hear everything in the next room. No ice or vending machine on our floor.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cathy696
MCB0779, Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Sir or Madam,

We are proud of our hotel and brand and appreciate and and all feedback.

You will see the changes during your next stay with us.

My Best,

Michael Benedetti
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I've never stayed in a "boutique" hotel before or one with a modern theme. Overall I found the hotel fun & the staff friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and nicely furnished. Modern fixtures in the bathroom and a minimalist design in the bedroom, though nothing extra in terms of amenities to make it more luxurious. In fact, it lacked a luggage rack. The a/c did not regulate properly, so we had to decide between a hot or freezing room if we didn't want to get up throughout the night to shut off the air. Nice TV, good water pressure & temp. Only one elevator was working for the majority of our stay, so that was annoying. As far as the staff went, they were helpful, friendly, and had a good sense of humor. Housekeeping seemed really on top of things in terms of providing fresh towels & turning down the beds (or at least removing pillows, which I must admit I found a little strange). My biggest complaint was the smell in the hallways from a decorative air freshener near the elevators. My friend likened to a high end brothel, & to me it smelled overpoweringly of cheap cologne. Let me tell you, it's no fun waiting for one working elevator, smelling that overpowering smell, with a hangover!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Washington DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I depend on Tripadvisor when reserving hotels. Took a chance on The Saint and agree with other reviews that this one needs more help to improve from their "soft" opening.

Lobby is open and inviting. Registration was quick and helpful. Eighth floor room was basic and modern. TV had many channels. In room safe is a good addition. Breakfast took about 35 minutes to arrive after ordering and was just ok. Allow 15 minutes for valet to retrieve car and make sure there are no dents. Our car arrived with a new dent on rear passenger door.

Primary concern was lack of attention to overall security. Hallways are dark and several people riding on elevator were obviously not registered guests. One asked me for cash because they were locked out of their room. I mentioned to front desk clerk and she was obviously flustered. Her answer, " Let us know if it happens again." Early morning checkout found valet asleep on sofa next to pool table. I asked if they had a security person on duty most hours of the day. I was told they are trying and still new.

Hotel appears to be in a state of construction so I would pick one of the other Marriott properties until management provides upgrades.

3 Thank rockfish65
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for writing this review and I apologize for your experience. Rear assured we take these very serious. What you experienced is unacceptable. This will be addressed immediately.
We are proud of our hotel and brand and appreciate and and all feedback.

You will see the changes during your next stay with us.

My Best,

Michael Benedetti
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Don’t expect Marriott standards just yet - More of a combination south beach meets W decor -i.e. pool table in lobby, white curtain dividers etc. and still going thru punch list- bell and valet staff not up to standards, Entire facility needs security. What was ready was the Bar and live music- kudos on Band selection!
As I was approaching hotel from the cab with two bags in tow, the bellman came out and walked past me leaving me to put down a bag and open the manual front door myself- not a good sign-turns out the hotel is still being constructed as i requested a larger room and was informed suites are not available yet as they are under construction. Proceeded to elevator and waited for the housekeeping staff to finish their wipe down of elevator floor - oblivious to my presence waiting to board- Valet seems like they need help - car was parked blocks away - so there was quite a wait in the am rush to get out and to work - OK so the staff needs to be trained up.
Once on my floor, the trendy "w" ish decor i.e. blue lighting, almost made it impossible to read my room number off the key envelope- turns out - next day they installed white lights above each door- i was ahead of the construction curve i guess.
Biggest concern was security, exterior doors do not lock- public can come into lobby at any time and play pool in the lobby - and all floors seemed accessible at all times- When i departed pre dawn- there was someone leaning against the wall at the end of my hall-just chilling it seemed certainly wasn’t hotel staff- once on street I mentioned to my co travelers and they responded they had someone on their floor hanging out as well- could have been same person just moving floor to floor . Hotel should put in key card access for exterior doors at night as the property is so close to quarter.

3 Thank 125Eric
Mount Dora, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I bid on 5 nights through Priceline on a 4 star hotel. After finding out which hotel I was staying at, I read the reviews. I wasn't looking forward to my stay.

On arrival, there were no bell hops at the front door. Pleasant greeting and room check-in. Found the room on the 7th floor was not clean. We went down stairs and were given another room on the 6th floor. As a concellation, we were told they would buy us a drink at the bar. Room was clean and nice. Beds were comfortable. I was allergic to pillows and was given hypoallergenic pillows as I had requested.

I took my drink up to my room and placed the glass outside the door when I was finished. My glass stayed there for 2 days, as well as other guests room service trays (just like I had been warned in the reviews). When the hypoallergenic pillows arrived (6 hours after my request), they were placed on the bed without pillowcases. Luckily, the housekeeper could be located and fresh pillowcases were obtained. The maintenance and housekeeping ride the same elevators as guests. They always seemed surprised when they realized there was a guest waiting to get in or out of an elevator. I rode the elevator with a supervisor and asked if she could send someone up to pick up the glass and trays in the hallway. After that, I never saw another tray remain in the hallway for more than a few hours. The towels were thin and not luxurious. We did love the robes, very soft.

The front desk people and bellhops (and I suspect bouncers) in the lobby were always friendly and helpful. On the weekend, we noticed the frontdoor was always attended. The bartenders were beautiful and classy. The music was enjoyable. We liked the pool table but thought it needed to be attended a little better. Didn't eat at the restaurant, but thought it looked beautiful. Yes the black lights in the hallway were strange but okay. Convenience of the hotel location was awesome. Pool and fitness rooms were not used by us. Not for children....in fact, why would anyone bring children to the French Quarter?

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel but would have been a little more fussy if we had payed full price. I think certain aspects of the hotel was a 4 star and other aspects were much lower. Still, I felt my expections were low and was pleasantly surprised.

The bergamot and amber scented oil was overpowering at times. The lobby area was too cold.

Room Tip: Canal Street is very noisy! Sirens, trolley, loud speakers, screaming, etc. Nice view.