“great hotel, best placement”

The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #49 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“great hotel, best placement”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I surprised my husband for his birthday in January and we came to New Orleans for the first time. I had taken a friend's advice and did the "name your price" on priceline.com, so at first I was a little worried about what the hotel would be like especially because we got it at a lower rate than what the hotel's website was saying the room prices would be. When we arrived, my first thought was that it was a beautiful building. The lobby area has a lot to do (restaurant, bar, pool table). We easily checked in and were able to go up to our room even though we were 2 hours before check in time. Now some reviewers commented on the purple lighting in the hallways. We are a younger couple in our late 20s, and we really thought it was neat, something that we had never seen done in a hotel. Though during the weekend we were with an older couple in the elevator, and they were commenting that they hated it and it hurt their eyes. I think it's going to be up to you if you like it or not. When we got into our room, it was amazing! Not at all what we thought it would be like. Yes there is a down side that the side view is not the best, but hey all the best and most expensive hotels are on that street and they have the same view too! Lots of space in the room, and very clean. I can be weird about staying in a hotel room and always do a fine check for dirt, trash, bugs, etc. So trust me, our room was very clean! It was very quiet on our floor, though in the morning you could hear people in the hallway.. Which is to be expected. Throughout the weekend, the staff was very friendly. Always talking to us and asking what our plans were. They gave us suggestions of the best restaurants and were the best music was played. Our only problem was when we were checking out. We had a restaurant breakfast bill on our room charge, even though we did not eat at their restaurant. The early morning lady (3 am!) took it off and sent us on our way! I normally do not give percent 5 stars for hotels, but this trip was perfect!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley P
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Saint Hotel! We are so delighted you and your husband had such a nice weekend. We appreciate all your comments about our location, lobby, decor, cleanliness and rooms. We love to hear your trip went perfect!! Please come back and see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed for Jazz fest! We loved it. fantastic location, great,adorable and helpful staff. The place and rooms are beautiful! Darryl the GM even gave us specail attention! Thank you all for a great time in Nola!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
I am so delighted you had such a nice stay at The Saint during Jazz Fest weekend! Thank you for your comments about our location, rooms and great staff. We take pride in providing excellent guest service here. Come back and visit us again soon!
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 2 May 2013

These rooms are dynamite!! The ceilings are a beautiful blue color while the rest of the room is white. The bathroom is very fancy with a glass bowl and glass enclosured shower. The room is very sexy with mirrors at the pillow portion of the bed. Beds are very comfortable. I will stay again at this hotel in a hearbeat.

Room Tip: I think there are no bad rooms in this hotel, but we did have a nice view from our room, my sister...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine B
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
We appreciate your feedback and are so delighted you had such a nice stay at The Saint! Thank you for comments and description of our rooms, they really are lovely. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
Kentucky
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Two friends and I stayed at The Saint for two nights in March prior to a cruise. We cruise from Nola 2-3 times per year and love the pre-cruise experience. This was our first stay at The Saint and we really enjoyed it. We loved the room - very classy and chic. Location was superb, as was the way we were treated while we were guests. We thought we had found a new favorite hotel...

After we returned home, I found that I was charged $40 extra on my credit card that wasn't on my closing statement. I called and spoke to Jenni; she said it was a breakfast charge. I didn't eat breafast; my two friends did, though. They paid cash; they sat in a corner and were waited on by a tall, thin waiter. When they paid with a $100 he said he would have to go elsewhere to get change. He wanted their room number even though they had paid cash. When I told Jenni this, she said she would email the manager. I have since emailed two more times. I have not gotten a response. I know it is just $40, but with me paying it again, it's like an $80 breakfast for two!

I'm only putting this on here because I see the manager responds on tripadvisor very regularly. Since I have not gotten response from my three attempts at contacting him, I am trying this means.

The hotel is lovely, but I'm not very pleased with being ignored.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for your comments about our location and classy rooms. I also thank you for bringing this matter to our attention about your bill. I have investigated the situation and spoken with my staff in regards to it. We will be reaching out to you to get everything straightened out. We hope we have the opportunity to provide your accommodations again in the future.
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The Saint is a hip hotel right on Canal Street and just a block or so from Bourbon without the chaos of a W hotel. The lobby bar is cozy and hip and their speciality pool table is right in the lobby. Check in was smooth and our room was comfortable with a cool design- not an old New Orleans feel though. If you are looking for authentic, old Big Easy this is not your hotel. The room has exposed brick and mirror wall with huge windows (not a good view, but it was quiet). The bathroom is basic size but updated so it feels nicer than it is. The bellmen were super helpful and kind. I called for help with dinner and was told there wasn't a concierge but they would work on it but I never got a phone call back? I think for a fun weekend (we were there for Jazz Fest) it is great and easy with a cool feel and a good location. We could walk to Bourbon, Jackson Square and even Frenchman's street (we like to walk). I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for Canal Street if you want a view but be prepared for noise!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your weekend at The Saint! We are so delighted you had such a nice time during Jazz Festival weekend. We appreciate your comments about our location, cool vibe and friendly staff! We hope you come back and visit us again soon!!
Seattle WA
Reviewed 21 April 2013

First the positives: location, flair, high design, upbeat staff, quality of guest room.

With its collage of Miami Beach-Philippe Starck-Standard Hotel design touches, I really enjoyed the playfulness and chic atmosphere. It was backed up by a staff that genuinely seemed to want to smile and greet you at each encounter; everyone from the maid, handyman, valet, front desk, and breakfast waiter. That is impressive.

Nothing like staying in a brand new hotel; you know the feeling.

Now if they could work on a few things in the guest room:
•Free WIFI in the room is sluggish and times out, especially when people get up and when they start the evening.(?)
•The shower took 5 minutes to produce warm water.
•The lighting was insufficient, especially for general light in the middle of the room, desk light LED was too dim, & only one reading light, on one side of the bed.
•Only sitting chair was a modern desk chair which was not all that comfortable.
More positives about my room: comfortable bed, quiet fan unit in the wall, view window onto Canal Street (without any noise), interesting regional artwork, great flat screen TV and reception, sophisticated furnishings design.

My sleep was restful & quiet, contrary to what I read from other reviewers about 'partying' noises.

I've tried 4 other New Orleans hotels on business for 2 to 3 nights. This may just be my new favorite. Marriott is truly raising the bar.

Room Tip: View of Canal Street. 3rd floor has the exercise room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank GrantGustafson
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
We are so delighted you had such a nice stay with us at The Saint Hotel and are so excited to be your new favorite hotel in New Orleans!! Thank you for your comments about our location, decor, amentities and upbeat staff. I will discuss all of your comments with our staff and have our IT guy look into our Wi-Fi! We hope you come back and visit us again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

First off, let me say this location is fantastic. It is not right on Bourbon st, which means you can actually get to it by cab at night but it is just the right amount of distance that you can make it back in a drunken stupor. The Hotel ambiance is eclectic with a huge chair/Throne in the lobby that makes you feel like you are Alice on a mushroom. The mood of the hotel is also interesting. Setting a kind of neo classic transcendentalism meets Monet sort of feel. Think Thoreau on acid that puked blue. In fact, if you were tripping on acid, I have a feeling you would discover Nirvana while walking down the hallway of this hotel.

The staff was nice, albeit not always helpful, and the beds were comfortable and spacious.

Now, for the complaints.

Day 1

I had booked 2 rooms. One through a third party source and the other directly with the Hotel. The third party room was pre paid and the other room was not. You would think this was discovering the Arc of the Covenant because the receptionist had no idea what to do. She checked me in, I gave her my credit card and she said it was declined. Odd, I thought. I gave her another card..... Declined again. So I gave her a card I knew couldn't be Declined, my AMEX. Guess what? Declined again! hmmmm... I call my bank. Bank says no decline on record and there is a hold of $200 from the hotel. I am puzzled. She calls the Manager who comes out and takes my card and goes back to figure it out. By this time, 40 minutes has passed and I'm still standing by the front desk not checked in (despite the fact that one of the rooms is prepaid.) The manager comes back and says he's fixed everything and all is fine. Close to an hour later, we were in our rooms. I forget about the incident and go about our trip.

Day 2.

My friends and I are drunk, thanks to the wonderful hospitality of Bourbon St. We stumble to Brunch around 11. On the way out we put the sign on the door asking for the rooms to be cleaned and we ask one of the maids what time she expects it to be done. She says no later than 3pm. Fair enough we thought. We get back at 5,room still not clean. No worries, we get dressed and go out for the night and asked them to clean the room and forget about the incident.

Day 3.

Again, we awaken to a drunken stupor. On this day, we were planning on checking out ONE of our TWO rooms since some of us are leaving. There are two bills under our door. Odd I thought. We prepaid for one of the rooms, there should only be one bill. We consolidate our belongings into one room before headed out for Brunch. We stop by the front desk to ask about the two bills and we were told it was a mistake and there would only be one bill since the other room was prepaid. Fair enough. We check out of the one room and go out to town, after putting up the sign that we wanted the room cleaned. We return at 5pm, room still not cleaned. We call the front desk, they apologized and said they would have someone take care of it. I leave for the airport so I don't know how my friends found the room when they returned to the hotel.

Now flash forward to Present day. ONE full week after the stay at the hotel. I logon to my credit cards and lo and behold. I have THREE, count them, THREE, pending charges for EACH of the three cards I handed the girl that she said was "Declined." And this is for the room that was PREPAID. So I've already paid for the room and now I have THREE more pending charges. Now granted they are Pending so it may still fall off, but it has been SEVEN full days and it is still there. Plus, I was told the charges were Declined when I checked in. Obviously, they were not declined. To put the cherry on the cake, the room that was NOT prepaid, was incorrectly charged. They overcharged exactly 200 more than the receipt I was given.

If you do check into this hotel, I recommend you book either all through third party or all directly if you have more than one room. Apparently, trying to split the booking methods causes large amounts of confusion that they do not seem to understand. I'm still trying to resolve this issue.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PrinceTristan
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and bringing these matters to our attention. We do apologize for the confusion and will have this matter resolved immediately. I have discussed your comments with our staff. I do hope you give us another chance in the future.