“Unique & Fun, Great Location”

The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Hartford, Connecticut
“Unique & Fun, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel has a great location on Canal Street, just a few blocks from Bourbon Street. Exterior is classy and sophisticated, a feeling that carries in to the lobby, which also manages to be fun, funky and hip, if a little dark. Friendly front desk clerks at check in, along with a very helpful and gracious manager on duty started our stay off nicely. Parking is either valet (not too pricey comparatively at $38; it was $50 down the block & this was during Mardi Gras), or a garage across the street. We opted for valet. This has to be one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in; bordering on trippy once you enter the elevators with old timey movies playing, and then exit into a very dark black light lit hallway. I must say that if I had been traveling alone the dark hallways would have been a turn off, but it certainly added atmosphere.
Our room on the 4th floor overlooked Canal Street - great view! The room was large, clean and hip with an eclectic decor that combined funky modernism with industrial charm. The bathroom (also spotless) had great attention to detail in all of its fixtures and amenities. I will say that I didn't like the scent of the hotel, which seems to match the sent of the in room toiletries; a little overpowering, but not enough for a headache - just distinctly noticeable.
I found the staff to be friendly, outgoing and helpful - especially Randy Reid at the front desk and his counterpart from CT, along with a wonderful valet staff on the morning of our departure.
I would absolutely love to stay here again and highly recommend this hotel, especially to those willing to step outside of the cookie cutter hotel room proverbial box.

Room Tip: If you'll be staying for any event with a parade, ask for a room overlooking Canal Street. If yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your awesome stay at The Saint Hotel during Mardi Gras! We appreciate all of your comments about our location, unique decor and friendly staff! I will pass along your kind words to Randy, we are lucky to have him! We definitely step outside of the box with our decor and are so glad you enjoyed it. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Had the chance to stay at The Saint in March and was so happy with the choice. From the moment you arrive you feel like you entered a boutique French hotel. There are a lot of little nooks and side areas to have conversations or share an afternoon cocktail with a friend. Directly off the lobby is a bar that is drenched in red. Which is a nice contrast to the whites throughout the lobby and the blue throughout the hallways on the way to the rooms. I stayed in room 826 and had a view of Canal Street. The windows were clamped shut, so no to happy about that as I like to get fresh air, but then again, it is humid down here.

The rooms are of nice size and the bed was very comfortable. The room shared the same chic atmosphere as the rest of the hotel with rich blues and clean crisp whites. Also unique was the shower head that changed color with the head of the water. Pretty cool.

The gym was a little small compared to other hotels but did have the basic amenities.

The hotel is located on Canal street and about two blocks from Bourbon Street, so the location is great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank creece007
We are so delighted you had such a wonderful stay at The Saint Hotel this March!! Thank you for all of your comments about our location, bar, lobby and unique decor. We try to step out of the norm as much as possible! So glad you enjoyed it. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

First off, the best thing about this place is the service. Every staff member, from the front desk to the bar to the bellmen, were unfailingly polite and helpful...not to the point of being fake, but genuinely seemed to care that we were enjoying our stay. That's a great base to start from, and they hit it out of the park...and should be very proud of their staff. All of them.

It seems like there's a hollywood or movie studio vibe to the place. A big spotlight near the elevators. Oversized chairs outside the bar. A very old school looking pool table in the lobby that I could imagine Dean or Bing or Frank shooting pool on decades ago. Even on our floor, it was lit up purple as we headed to the room. Even the shower was fun - lights on the shower head that went from blue to green to red as the heat of the water progressed.

Only complaint would've been the bed...very low to the floor and didn't seem to have much of a box spring to it. For a hotel that I'm guessing is going to be fighting for guests in and around the French quarter, the bed needs to be better. Simple as that.

Convenient to Canal Street and walking to the French Quarter. I'd give it a 5 just for the service and the originality, but the bed and sleep quality pulls it down just a bit. A better bed and I'd come back every time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your great experience at The Saint! Thank you for all your comments about our location, unique decor and above all the "out of the park" service! Our staff is truly amazing and I thank you for pointing that out. Also thank you for bringing the bed to our attention, I will speaking with my Owner in regards to that. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Walked into the Saint and never wanted to leave. If I could buy a room I would. This hotel is beyond perfect. My room was quiet and comfortable. The hotel is pure magic. The staff is kind and thoughtful. Just a touch of naughty and nice. The hallways are a neon blue light fantasy. The room set up perfectly. Only one complaint the bed needs memory foam toppers but that is only my need, a shower with the lights off, you will never shower in the light again. Central location to Mardi Gras. Will be back.

Room Tip: Great Central location, good price for the amentities.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
We are so delighted you had such an amazing time at The Saint Hotel!! Thank you for all of your sweet comments about our decor, location, amenities and friendly staff. We would love for you to come back often! Again, thank you for all of your wonderful comments and we look forward to your next stay!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection concept is trendy and hip and reminds me of a W Hotel in the Starwood Collection. A lot of attention is focused on the dramatic look of the lobby, the bar and the common areas. The rooms are small which is typical of old buildings in New Orleans but the beds are heavenly with great amenities in the rooms. I would not recommend this hotel for families - the decor and ambiance strictly appeals to couples and singles My room had only a shower so if you MUST have a bathtub you need to check with the hotel before making a reservation. We didn't eat at the hotel but the restaurant was packed for brunch. Tried to get a drink at the bar on a Saturday afternoon during Mardi Gras and they were sold out of quite a few things we tried to get and the menu was limited to begin with. I did notice something strange, the bar bill was for 3 drinks only and the tip of 20% was FORCED into the total without any mention from the bartender. Glad I caught it before adding more tip for mediocre service

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter than the ones facing Canal street but the view was g...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angel T
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We are delighted that you had such a nice time at The Saint Hotel during your trip to New Orleans. Thank you for all of your comments about our decor, comfortable beds and great amenities. I will speak my Bartendars in regards to the service you encountered. Mardi Gras can be a crazy time in the city. I hope you come back and visit us again soon!!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here since the Ritz, where we usually stay, was sold out and since it is off the main streets and right next to the Ritz. The location is great-- off the main but v close walking distance. Decor & rooms: The lobby is striking. The rooms are fairly spacious although the decor is more trendy--it reminded of W hotels. The desk and entertainment center are functional enough and look nice, but one of the bedspreads says "play naughty" on it; personally I find decorating with words/suggestions annoying. The lighting in the hallways is blue--all the time, not just at night or in the evening, which is a little annoying. The bed and bedding were comfortable. It was much noisier than next door at the Ritz, you could hear more street noise, particularly emergency vehicles, but we didn't lose any sleep. Service & Housekeeping: The service at the front desk was prompt for check in & check out. When we requested extra towels once we got them quickly. Our room was clean overall and I'm quite picky about cleanliness. Twice we had to call to ask for our room to be cleaned (we were in & out at different times though) but it was cleaned right away. We did not try the restaurant or room service. There is a keurig w kcups in the room which is great since it's pretty good quality and really easy. A walk to Starbucks isn't far either. This hotel is a particularly good value for the price, so I decided to give it 4 stars instead of 3, even though it has a few quirks.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for your comments about our spacious rooms and great customer service. Thank you again for staying at The Saint and we hope you visit again soon!
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Business trip - lobby is gorgeous, and rooms are decent, though a bit trendy. Room service is supposed to be available until 11 p.m. but "the kitchen decided to close early tonight." No other options for food other than to leave the hotel. Overall, a decent hotel with much potential, but still a lot of wrinkles to iron out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for staying at The Saint Hotel! We appreciate you telling us how your stay was. Thank you for comments about our lobby. I will speak with my Restaurant immediately in regards to the service that you experienced, my sincerest apologies. I do hope you give us another try in the future.