“Loved everything about it!”
Review of Canal Street Inn

Canal Street Inn
Ranked #22 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed at the Canal Street Inn for a weekend girls' trip in August 2013. This was our first experience staying at a bed and breakfast, but I heard great things about them. So I had high expectations. I must say, the Canal Street Inn exceeded my expectations! The ambiance makes you feel as though you are a part of New Orleans. Monica and the staff are amazing! The food was delicious! And the room was beautiful and comfortable. Oh, and the fact that the streetcar stops right in front of the inn is icing on the cake! I will DEFINITELY stay at the Canal Street Inn any time I'm in New Orleans in the future. No questions asked!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Keri,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about the Canal St. Inn. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your lovely comments. Please come back with your family. I look forward to seeing you and meeting them very soon.
Monica

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Canal Street Inn in June. It was the most beautiful backdrop to a New Orleans wedding. We had guests in from all over the country and they enjoyed the beautiful historic house, the street car passing by, and the perfectly sized side yard. Monica and Dawn were very easy to work with leading up to the wedding. They took care of chair, table, and linen rentals. Our family also stayed at the Inn a few days leading up to the wedding, and it was ideal to have a few rooms at the Inn for people to visit in, cool down, and for the ENTIRE wedding party to get ready in before the wedding.

Thank you so much for provided such a beautiful and large space for our reception. I have the best memories of the day!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thank you Heather! We thoroughly enjoyed working with you for your wedding reception at the Inn. It was a beautiful event! Hope to see you back in a year for your anniversary! Congratulations.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for the Essence Festival! It was an amazing stay. We were treated with nothing but exemplary Southern Hospitality!! The owner, Monica, greeted us upon arrival and ensured our needs were met throughout our entire stay. Teresa made sure we didn't get lost and provided us with great tips on dining and sightseeing! I will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans!!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review. I am so happy you enjoyed your time in the city for Essence Fest! We hope to see you back next year!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I've never been to New Orleans and had no idea where to stay or what to do when I arrived.

The house was built in 1890 and has all the original warmth and charm of the times. It's beautifully maintained and has all the amenities needed to keep up with the modern world. Wifi throughout the house and central air conditioning make it very comfortable.

The furnishings represent what may have been part of the original furnishings of when the house was constructed.

Monica the innkeeper was extremely helpful in helping us find the things we wanted to do during our stay in New Orleans. She was also most helpful in helping us find our way around and locating the food we were searching out in the city.

Monica and Teresa made us feel welcome and comfortable during our stay.

Breakfast was included daily and was thoughtfully done.

Maid service provided by Dawn made our rooms comfortable, clean, and refreshed upon our arrival back home each day in the French Quarter.

We were worried about transportation upon our arrival but were relieved to find that the street car line was at our doorstep and for 3 dollars for a day pass we could go back and forth at our leisure.

I can't say enough about this place. It's the best!

Thank you Monica, Teresa and Dawn!

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs and I never heard any one's coming or going.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for choosing the Canal Street Inn on your first visit to New Orleans and for taking the time to share your experience here with others. I am so happy you felt so comfortable and taken care of at the Inn. Also, thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location, literally steps from the streetcar! Hope to see you back at the Inn in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I am a big fan on New Orleans. I've been lucky enough to visit about 10 times (so far) in my life and plan on going back many more. When my then fiance and I were looking for a fun place to elope, New Orleans was top of the list. After running around and checking about 100 different BnB's online, we decided on The Canal Street Inn.

Boy, did we chose well. The Canal Street Inn is an elegant belle epoque mansion in the heart of Mid City. As we were there for Jazz Fest AND my husband had never been to the Quarter, this location - right in the middle of everything - was perfect for us.

The rooms are huge, elegantly furnished and well appointed with rich linens and thick fluffy robes. The breakfast is sumptuous and cooked to order each day. In the evening you can enjoy the huge front porch or the parlor with a glass of wine.

Best of all, is the staff. The proprietor, Monica Ramsey, is amazing! She went so far out of her way to make our wedding perfect - she even ran around and found my bouquet for me from a local florist since it was impossible for me to bring one from California. She is a true gem, generous to a fault!

Since our wedding there in April of 2012, my husband and I have returned twice, once as we meandered cross country for a move to North Carolina to catch some R&R between the move and again for Jazz Fest 2013.

The Canal Street Inn just keeps getting better and better. We already have our room booked for Jazz Fest 2014 and plan to return to our home away from home every year!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind and detailed description of your experiences at Canal Street Inn. It was a great pleasure to host your wedding here and then an added bonus to have you return on a few occasions! It's like greeting family when you return! Have a great year, we will see you at Jazz Fest!

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I love the Canal Street Inn, for the following reasons:
1. location- Streetcars are a great way to travel in New Orleans. Look at the other reviews. The great neighborhood , with actual people living in it ( unlike the Quarter), has excellent architecture and well patrolled.
2. Great restoration and exquisite taste- The 1920's house ( original burned down) is tastefully decorated and every convenience is available. The sitting room and rooms are beautiful. New mattresses and bedding, rob es, great bath accessories and wonderful towels are just some nice touches. An iron ( and board) dryer are available.The period replicas in the rooms create a luxurious, southern stay.
3. Service: Mrs. Monica and Ms. Tereasa were friendly, knowledgeable and available . They keep red wine and other drinks in the period sitting room and the mini sitting room upstairs. Breakfast is great as they hang around and talk to the guest!
4. Neighborhood- Midcity has excellent restaurants, bars and little stores for every need,City Park is about five minutes away, and Jazz fest is in walking distance. A Mardi Gras Parade travels right in front of the inn. Angelo Brocato has the best pastries, gelatos and coffee right around the corner. Theo's is a Zagat rated restaurant down the street. Mandina's has excellent New Orleans cuisine as well, and all within walking distance.
I hate to write this as I know more people will go and it will be hard to find a room!! But the owner has done such an excellent job in the last two years creating the best Bed and Breakfast in New Orleans. Stay out of the Quarter and see the other parts of this great city. Take a street car !

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Go on the website to find which room will work for you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a lengthy and very descriptive experience at Canal Street Inn. I appreciate you pointing out that we are in a nice neighborhood with many local restaurants and sights to see, yet close enough for easy access to the French Quarter. Hope to see you again when you are in Nola!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Truly a wonderful week with a gracious hostess, a wonderful classic home, great breakfast and a location that offers quiet while still providing easy access to all the French Quater and Mid Town has to offer. Morning coffee on the front porch before breakfast was a delight and the perfect place to plan your day. Monica's warmth, hostitality and if you will, "aloha," (we're from Hawaii) made us feel very much at home. The home was lovely, well cared for and a true classic. We will be returning I hope soon and look forward to another stay at Monica's Canal Street Inn.

Room Tip: All very nice, suggest the master suite if you have kids, check it on line and do book early if you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for the kind words about the Canal Street Inn and your experience here. It is our goal to have people feel like they are in their home away from home...I am glad you felt that way! I can't wait to see you on your next visit!