“Charmed & delighted!”

Ranked #22 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Mobile, Alabama
“Charmed & delighted!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We lucked up upon this B & B after our online search for hotels were full (other than $400+/night). This was out first experience (2 couples). It far exceeded our expectations in terms of accommodations. There was plenty of drinks (coffee, evening wine/beer); rooms were big and clean; a yummy & filling breakfast; and a trolley right outside to take you to the French Quarter. Mandina's was an excellent restaurant in walking distance. In addition, Monika was friendly, hospitable and made us feel very welcome. Theresa was also helpful and had a good knowledge of the area. Thanks for making my 40th Bday a great experience!

• Stayed November 2013
Monica R, Owner at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Renee,
I am very happy that we were able to be apart of your birthday in New Orleans. Thank you very much for the positive review, it is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans.
Monica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just wanted to say that my husband Keith and I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast and this was a wonderful experience. This B&B is very clean and the staff is just wonderful. We stayed in the Royal Street #2 room and it was absolutely beautiful. Monica and her staff are the best and just so kind and thoughtful. I would recommend this to everyone I know traveling to New Orleans or even just for weekend getaway. Something else to keep in mind is the trolley stops right out in front of the Inn also so great if you don't have a car.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Monica R, Owner at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Jeni,
Thank you so much for your review, it is greatly appreciated. I am very glad that you had a great weekend in New Orleans and that we were able to be apart of it. I hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans.
Leeds, England
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay here although it was only for one night, staff were friendly & helpfull & bedroom was very comfortable
Only fault to be found, the breakfast choice was very limited, only one item on offer & small portions, had to ask for toast & was given one slice for two people

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank PKn
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I had a great experience there. Monica was VERY nice and the place was beautiful. The only thing I could complain about would be that the house has paper thin walls. I could hear people walking right outside our door crystal clear, and you could hear people walking around above our bedroom because the floors are loud and old. But thankfully it didn't happen that much. I would definitely go back again-but this time we would stay on the top floor!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter K
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hi Peter,
I am so glad you and Wendy had a nice visit to New Orleans and enjoyed your stay at the Canal St. Inn.
Thank you so much for this feedback. We are in the process of renovating the rooms downstairs, and are addressing the sound issue, which I would not have been aware of had you not let me know it was an issue. We expect it will be fixed in the next day or two.
I hope you will stay with us during your next visit to New Orleans, and look forward to seeing you then.
Chester, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We wanted to not only do the touristy bits of New Orleans but also experience the all round feel of the living city, we chose very wisely staying in The Prytania suite the three of us had two full bedrooms with a lounge and bathroom. The house is fantastic, every area a scene of Grandeur. The front porch a special treat to watch the city 'start up' whilst enjoying your first coffee. The location is perfect, just in the middle of the broad Canal Street is a stop for the Tram where for $3 a full day (until 4am) you can visit every quarter of the city. Monica the owner and her very able staff Teresa are very helpful and knowledgeable. What a delight to enjoy the experience of a Bed & Breakfast instead of the drudgery of motels and hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful description of your stay at the Canal St. Inn. We were happy to have you, your wife, and your friend, and hope you make it back again soon. The porch and a nice glass of wine will be waiting for you.
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Great:

-Beautiful house
-Very knowledgeable and helpful innkeeper, who gave us excellent recommendations for what to do in the city and when, how to find out what was happening around town, etc.

The So-So:

-The wifi network we were told to access the first night did not have signal in our room (only in the hall outside). The next day we got the correct information.
-Our room had its own thermostat, but the AC unit wasn't powerful enough to cool the room except at night. Not a big deal, since we were only there at night and early in the morning!
-Breakfast was tasty, but generic - lacked the character of original recipes and specialized dishes that I've experienced at other B&Bs (Gable House in Durango, Southmoreland in Kansas City).

The Unfortunate:
-Our room floor was not clean when we arrived, and was not adequately cleaned during our stay. The innkeepers insisted that the cleaning staff had been over the room, sweeping and vaccuuming, but my wife and I each found small pieces of glass stuck to our feet on different days just from walking across the floor barefoot after a shower. The rug was visibly full of dirt and the floors dusty, especially around and under furniture. I have no doubt that the staff *did* vacuum and so on as the innkeepers said, but a quick main-area sweep or hasty vaccuuming did not do the trick and the innkeepers did not inspect for quality, even after we mentioned it to them our first morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 721JasonS721
Dear Jason,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this helpful feedback. I hope your trip to New Orleans was an overall positive one and that you will visit The Big Easy again.
As I think I mentioned to you, depending on where you are at any given time in the house, the construction of this grande ole dame sometimes impedes the wireless connection, which is why we have installed three open wireless networks to accommodate our guests' cyber needs, as well as a locked network that guests can use if need be. I regret that you encountered difficulty in your room the first night but was glad that you successfully gained internet access through the locked network the next day.
I was surprised to hear that you were uncomfortably warm during the day, as guests who stay in that room usually tell me that they are cold! :-) I hope New Orleans' summer heat doesn't keep you from coming back, and next time I'll put a second fan in your room.
While the fire and health code in New Orleans limit what I am permitted to offer to guests in the way of hot food, we try to work around this by rotating our breakfast menus on a daily basis with offerings such as homemade quiche, homemade muffins and breads, and local favorites such as grits and grillades and eggs benedict.
All of the staff of the Canal St. Inn is committed to cleanliness. If I recall correctly, we were in the process of cleaning your room when you arrived for an unexpected early check-in. Nevertheless, we are redoubling our housekeeping efforts.
It was a pleasure meeting and talking to you while you stayed with us, and I hope you will come back in the future.
Sachse, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed at the Canal Street Inn for a weekend girls' trip in August 2013. This was our first experience staying at a bed and breakfast, but I heard great things about them. So I had high expectations. I must say, the Canal Street Inn exceeded my expectations! The ambiance makes you feel as though you are a part of New Orleans. Monica and the staff are amazing! The food was delicious! And the room was beautiful and comfortable. Oh, and the fact that the streetcar stops right in front of the inn is icing on the cake! I will DEFINITELY stay at the Canal Street Inn any time I'm in New Orleans in the future. No questions asked!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Keri,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about the Canal St. Inn. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your lovely comments. Please come back with your family. I look forward to seeing you and meeting them very soon.