“Disappointing”

Homewood Suites New Orleans
Ranked #96 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed at the Homewood Suites from 24 to 29 June. As a Hilton Honors Gold I frequently stay at Hilton properties, but had never stayed at a Homewood Suites. I was intrigued by the included breakfast and dinner, so decided to try it. The included meals were perhaps the best part of my stay, but even that was less than satisfactory as I had to fight the gnats in the dining room that were trying to eat my food before I could. I had checked in on-line the day before my arrival, but the room I had requested was not available, so I was given another room. The temperature in NOLA during the week was in the nineties and the air conditioner in the room did not work. Despite setting the thermostat to 60 degrees, the room temperature never went below 80. After sweltering from Sunday to Wednesday and three requests for maintenance to check it out, I finally had someone rewire the AC so that I was cooler my last day there. Every other room on my floor had a USA Today paper at their door in the morning, but I never did. I mentioned this to the front desk twice and after the second request, one lady told the other to write down my room number to insure that I received a paper the next day. Yep, you guessed it -- no paper. I began to think that maybe this was a filming of Candid Camera. The hotel was convenient to the reason I was in town, but if this hotel was representative of the Homewood Suites, I believe in the future I will stay at a Hilton that is more committed to the concept of good customer service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hrochas

Hi SteveC86,

We apologize for the quality of services you received during your recent stay. We have reported the malfunctioning of the air conditioning in your guest suite to our maintenance team. We will resolve the issue with our maintenance team. We also apologize for the paper not being delivered to your room and the quality of your breakfast. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact me at 504-581-5599 or keith.normand@dimdev.com

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites New Orleans

Reviewed 24 June 2012

My family stayed here during June 2012 (five people, including two teens and 9-year old). If you have a group like our, I recommend the two-bedroom suites. These include a king-size bed in one room, and two queens in the other. This helped house our entire family in one suite rather than in two separate rooms.

The Good:
Hotel is nice and seems news. Facilities were clean and well maintained.
Business center is pretty good, and has printer. Unfortunately, it seemed limited to internet browsing and printing.
Wi-Fi in room and common areas was good.
Breakfast in morning was nicer than similar hotels.
Close to St. Charles streetcar line
Indoor pool and HOT tub was fun for kids
Workout room looked nice, but I never made it there.

Other Observations:
This hotel is not particularly close to the French Quarter, so you may find yourself walking long distances back and forth. (However, after all that we ate, we needed the walk! Ha!)
Parking for this hotel cost $19+/day, which entitles you to park in a very crowded lot around the corner. They tend to double stack cars, and an attendant often must move cars to permit you to leave.
There are a few local and unappreciated places to eat across the street or just down the block (Walk-Ons for example) that you should try.

I'd recommend this hotel, but might choose a different location depending on my purpose.

Room Tip: Try two room suites if you are traveling with family. Totally worth it!
2  Thank treyleah

Hi treyleah,

Thank you for staying with us this past June. We are delighted that you found us to be a nice hotel for a family trip. We are here to please our guests, and nothing pleases us more than when we receive feedback from our guests! Once again, thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is like one of the old time huge sized hotels, very large building and nice broad reception drive (for downtown N.O.). The lobby has hints of the "standard" Homewood Suites" configuration, but larger and more formal in a way. We were blessed with a 2 bedroom suite, courtesy of a very nice front desk person and Hilton Honors. This program has been a great deal for us. We got our suite for the price of parking one night - $20. The suite had two bathrooms, two phone lines (I didn't answer the wakeup call the first time, due to my not seeing that I had to select a line), and the usual kitchen was there as well. Now we had a huge conflict between eating downstairs at the manager's reception, or trying a Cajun restaurant near Bourbon Street. The hotel had red beans and rice, Coors Light and Abita beer on tap, and a gorgeous birthday cake for those with June birthdays. We were within walking distance of Bourbon Street and its adjoining areas, so we just had some fruit and beer, and went to a restaurant. This hotel is far enough away from Bourbon street that you will have some quiet, and close enough to be walking home from the crazy areas. Parking can be a challenge; they use a neighboring parking lot that is OK at night, and has office workers coming in the morning for 140% lot occupancy. You may wait a while for the parking lot attendant to play musical cars to allow your departure. I would look forward to staying here again. No marks for restaurant or room service; I don't think that there is a full restaurant here.

Room Tip: If you want to have a vantage point to see the parking lot, a room number ending in 11, or on that s...
1  Thank tomcat5470

Hi tomcat5470,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are delighted that you were able to join us for our monthly birthday celebration, and appreciate you sharing the pictures with everyone on TripAdvisor. We shared your comments with our kitchen staff, and they were thrilled that you were conflicted when it came time to decide about where to eat dinner. Once again, thank you for the wonderful review!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I’m not sure I’d visit this Homewood Suites again.
Johnny and Lucy were both particularly kind, but really the entire front desk staff was friendly and thoughtful. Since no concierge was available we’d occasionally stop by the front desk to ask for recommendations or suggestions regarding tours or meals and we always found them to be helpful and courteous. Whenever we walked through the door we were greeted with a hello and/or a smile by the front desk staff.

The public spaces in the hotel are clean and decently appointed. You’ll also find the hotel nicely situated if you’re interested in attending a sporting event or attending to business in the CBD.

The hotel rooms are really worn and are in need of some serious TLC. Our room had places where the carpet had separated from the wall and floor and the bath tub looked as if it needed to be replaced many years ago. Having said that, the cleaning staff seemed to try their best to keep the aging room interiors clean.

The breakfast/manager’s reception staff is in need of some serious training. One worker in particular (Marguerite) seemed to go into orbit if you asked for a take away container. After particularly long days or very early mornings I wasn’t particularly interested in dining downstairs and preferred to dine in my room and asked for a take away container and she went bonkers. Luckily another guest said he just learned to avoid the staff and use the “regular” plates and leave them in the hallway for housekeeping to deal with.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor facing Poydras
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank fashionfoodtravel

Hi fashionfoodtravel,

Thank you for the review. We are delighted that you found our front desk staff to be friendly and helpful. Our goal is to make sure that all of our guests have a wonderful stay, and we assure you that we will address your concerns in regards to our breakfast/ manager's reception. Thank you for staying with us this past June. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Our room was spacious and very clean, as was the kitchen and fridge. The lobby and pool were nice as well. Self-parking is available and was plentiful as long as we parked before 9-10pm. When it filled, we were told to valet our car, which was brought back to the self-parking lot before we got up in the morning.
A dinner is offered during the week, but we only enjoyed the breakfast buffet as we stayed over the weekend. The food was plentiful, considering how many people were there, and the choices changed daily. There was always plenty of eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rebelvoyager
Keith N, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Hi rebelvoyager,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted that you found our hotel to be an "Oasis in the middle of the city"! We appreciate your business, and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel! It was like living in an apartment with a balcony view. The Le Pavillion is right accross the street but I challenge you to find a cleaner, more attentive staff for under $120 per night in downtown New Orleans. Great job, guys!

1  Thank TravelDiva1987

Hi TravelDiva1987,

Thank you for staying with us during your last visit to New Orleans. We are ecstatic that you had a great stay! We are here to please our guests, and nothing pleases us more than when we receive feeback from our guests! Once again, thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed with my family from March 21st to 28th. Its location is convenient to explore French Quarter and the Garden District, because its one block from the Street Car route. They include a hot breakfast (changes everyday), wifi, and a light dinner, with a full-smiling service. The staff is very responsive and geniunely care about their customers.
The only drawback is the parking lot which is located one block away and--as all lots around French Quarter--ramins full during business hours, so be prepared to wait in order to move your vehicle. This hotel becomes our home from now on in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor location if you take the two-bedroom suite. You'll be in front of Poydras A...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Louisianan_at_Miami

Hi Lousisanan_at_Mi..,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff will be thrilled to hear your wonderful comments. We also appreciate that you would stay with us again! New customers are important to us, but repeat clientele is definitely the back bone of any business. Once again, thank you for staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton New Orleans. We look forward to your next visit.