“Depends on what you want”

Homewood Suites New Orleans
Ranked #93 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Depends on what you want”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We spent 8 nights at this Homewood Suites. At first, I actually LOVED this place and wrote a really nice review. I wrote it way too early in our stay so I took THAT review OFF tripadvisor to post this one. Our room was nice with a private bedroom and a kitchen with a full frig and stove. I enjoyed having a nice hot breakfast every morning as well as the complimentary light dinners Monday - Thursday with Beer and Wine. We were on the 12th floor and had a nice view of the city. It had a balcony although you can't really be outside much if you have the heat or air-conditioner on. (the unit for climate control is on your balcony and is amazingly loud!!) So, what started out as a nice stay was actually completely tarnished by the staff!!! Many of the Front Desk Staff seemed "Put Out" if you asked them a question. Even if you are the ONLY person at the desk... expect to wait until they are "ready" to address you. (guess answering questions is not in their job description) There was ONE Front Desk Assistant who works at night, I can't remember his name but he was AWESOME!! (HE should replace the current concierge!!!) We worked at the Convention Center until 2am on our last night at this hotel. We ended up walking half way back before finding a cab and were exhausted. He Greeted with a smile and asked if there was ANYTHING he could do for us. There was a possibility we'd need to stay a 9th night so he jumped right in and made the arrangements for us "just in case". As for the current Concierge, I'm appalled and even offended that the Hilton would allow her to associate with guests!! Although, if you wear a nice suit, have an expensive watch and a Badge with a lofty title, she WILL be at your Beckon Call!!! (If not, don't even waste your time approaching her) My husband and I had less than 2 days to see the sights in New Orleans during our business trip. We went to ask her for information about Streetcars thinking that would be a fun way to explore the city. First, she NEVER looked up from her computer while talking to us. Needless to say, this is SO RUDE in every way possible!! Something on that computer screen certainly had her undivided attention. (I would LOVE to see the computers History to find out what was so important) Her response to our Streetcar question was, "Just get on and pay". We asked about a One Day Pass and wanted to know if the pass covered ALL of the Streetcar Lines and she said again, "Just get on and Pay!!" I know this was pushing it, but we requested a map. She did grab one and plopped it on the corner of the desk. Now, there were NO other people around so it wasn't like she was SWAMPED with a line of people waiting for her assistance. We Unexpectedly found a simple solution to HER. By the start of our third day, whenever we would stepped outside our hotel, the Doorman from the "Le Pavillon" across the street would see us and yell.. "Need a Cab?" and he'd have one there in seconds!!! THEY took care of us for the next 6 days!! Now, my husband and I are NOT OSTENTATIOUS people. We were, for the most part, dressed in jeans and very casual, no flashy jewelry or high heels. It infuriates me to see guests treated SO DIFFERENTLY. This Concierge is VERY Consistent and VERY Obvious in who she selects to jumps up for and who she ignores. I was able to observe her quite often!! My husband IS a CEO and I've been "catching babies" for about 25 years. We travel the world and own property in other countries. I guess our daily wardrobe of jeans and sweatshirts must have Deemed us BELOW her standards for receiving HER assistance or attention. People like that make me sick!!! She represents Homewood Suites / Hilton. It's her Job to Attend to the Needs of and Assist ALL Guests in the Hotel. It should make NO DIFFERENCE if the Guest is a CEO dressed in a nice suit or just "Joe Shmoe" off the street. As a comparison, we did a 5 week Safari in Africa. Our first and last nights (5 weeks apart) were spent at the Hyatt in Johannesburg. ALL the staff called us (and all the other guests) BY NAME!!! Now, how they remember all those names is beyond me, but sometimes, it's the little things that can make or break an experience!! The Staff at that Hyatt ALL went above and beyond to care for ALL of their Guests... those in suits and those in jeans alike!! I met a TON of local people in New Orleans who were Extremely Kind and Helpful. I think Homewood/Hilton needs to find some new staff. I'm SURE there are people in New Orleans looking for a good job that DON'T have such big heads!! In my Opinion, stay Across the Street at the Le Pavillon. At least you can catch a quick cab there!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank lmc8788
Dennis P, Manager at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration. Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location, near the French Quarters, but the room interiors are somewhat dated. I needed accommodation at a short notice, so I was glad that I found Homewood Suites, but the price of $475 per night was rather excessive. Also, I found a "change linen" cardboard sign on the bed, so I am not sure of the attention to details, but after a long day I didn't feel like interrogating the staff.
Overall, it is a good hotel if you can get a room at a discount price.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dennis P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to leave comments for others regarding your stay with us. Our suites are decorated with a traditional decor package as we are in an historic city. As with all hotels, our room rates do vary depending on the demand in the city. We are happy to include daily hosekeeping service for all of our guests, and to do our part in keeping the hotel environmentally friendly, we do offer our guests the option of letting housekeeping know if they dont need their linen changed each day with a sign on each bed. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you home again on your next trip to New Orleans.
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I am staying here as I type this. PICK ANOTHER HOTEL!!!!! For $459 per night, you have to be kidding me!?!?! This is a Homewood suites, for crying out loud. I just stayed in the Ritz in NYC for that amount! The front desk couldn't be more disinterested in helping you. Ive been waiting 3 hours fir me room to be ready.

Don't even think about staying here if you want to walk to the convention center or French Quarter because the neighborhood is really unsafe and I grew up in NYC! . The parking lot is behind this back alley... Poorly lit and Unsecured. Use it at your own risk and buy insurance for you rental car. Don't leave anything in you car.

There are sports bars within walking distance but be armed if you want to walk there. So far, it's been good as far as bar fare goes. There are NO supermarkets remotely close to this place if you want to use the kitchens in the suites. Prepare for that to be an adventure. If I had a choice, I'd check out of here in a heart beat but since there is a nerd convention in town, there's no place that has rooms.

• Stayed March 2013
Dennis P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you for your candid review Buffetbassman. I appreciate your comments about our hotel and location, and must point out several facts: 1) Room rates vary by length of stay and are based on availability, the specific dates you booked were over a city-wide convention the HIMSS Conference, and our room rates were disclosed at the time the reservations were confirmed. 2) There is a grocery store, Rouses, less than 3 blocks from the hotel, and the hotel also offers complimentary grocery shopping services. 3) As a hotel located downtown, space is at a premium, therefore we offer discounted parking at a nearby lot as a convenience to our guests through our partner Royal Parking. This lot is located directly across the side of the hotel facing Penn St, and is monitored by an attendant 24 hours a day. I am glad you were able to visit Walk-Ons less than 2 blocks from our hotel, we are pleased to be so close to this Award Winning Sports Bar, just rated #1 Sports Bar in America by ESPN. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our hotel, and if you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me by phone or e-mail.

J.W. Engblom
504.613.1001
jw.engblom2@hilton.com
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We love this hotel. My husband and I married in Dec. of 2009 being Saints fans we decided to spend our honeymoon in New Orleans, catch a football game, and spend New Years there. We had such a great time and love the location of Homewood Suites. We decided to go again this past Dec. 2012 repeating the same experience. The location is great! You can walk to the Riverwalk, French Quarter, all of the famous restaurants are within walking distance. Or, if you choose to spend a more quiet night in. You have all you could ask for right there. This is where we intend to stay anytime we come back. It feels like home to us! Thank you for making us welcome!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, La
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Homewood is in a great location if you are on business, but it is several blocks away from the quarter if you are in town for vacation. The parking is horrible but that is common in New Orleans. The furniture is out dated but the bed rooms where clean & quiet. It is very close to the super dome. I would stay there again because the price was resonable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dennis P, General Manager at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear MargaritaBill,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat dated and that the furniture in your room needed to be replaced. In addition, I am sorry if our parking inconvenienced you in any way. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property.

Again, I thank you for your review and assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration. I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity next time you’re in New Orleans.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is a great hotel, and my favorite part was meeting Kylie, the Concierge. She was immediately helpful and informative, with suggestions on how to enjoy the best parts of New Orleans attractions. And - she was fun to talk to about the topics at hand. A good experience!

The room we had was spacious and very clean. We wished we had more than one night at this location!

Room Tip: This hotel has floors with rooms that allow smoking. We were initially mistakenly placed in one of...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ann S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We truly appreciate the feedback. We are thrilled to hear a member of our staff was able to truly exceed your expectations, and we will certainly commend her for her exceptional service. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you the next time you venture to New Orleans.

Best,
Management Team
Montgomery, TX
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for 6 nights. This was our third stay. While the room need some updating and freshing up, we could not ask for a better place to stay for Mardi Gras. Close to the parade route and even better close to good places to eat such as the American Sector at the WWII Museum, Mother's, and Dominica's. In addition, Rouse's Supermarket was a couple of block away - great for KIng Cake and other goodies. Harrah's and the French Quarter were short walks away. The entire staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Very nice hotel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room on upper floors or room away from Barrone Steet side of hotel to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear TraveltoMardiGras,

Thank you for reviewing the Homewood Suites New Orleans. We love receiving feedback from our guests. We love to hear that we have become your home away from home during Mardi Gras for the past few years! Thank you for continuing to stay with us, and we'll see you next carnival season.

Best,