“Loved it, but... ”

Queen Anne Hotel
Ranked #60 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The great first.

I was on the second floor, in the king size bed. It was spacious, warm, and lovely. The bed was its own massage for me. The view was pretty, looking out to the neighborhood. The bathroom was large, immaculate, and comfy. The room had a large closet. I could stand in it, spread out my arms to touch the length, and hang up my clothes, luggage, and shopping for my trip. There is ample storage space, a microwave, a fridge, and a safe. I adored my room! The room felt like I was living, not visiting.

The Queen Anne was a block away from St. Charles, which has a trolley. I could get many things--dry cleaning done, clothes washed, have a drink, dine on a budget or splurge, (EMERIL'S DELMONICO IS LESS THAN A TEN-MINUTE WALK AWAY [ABOUT FIVE OR SIX BLOCKS], FINE DINING LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN! THE MILK RUM PUNCH WAS YUMMY! YOU MUST ORDER THE GUMBO! THE WAY IT WAS SERVED WAS PRECIOUS!) and go to a drug store for extra stuff you need or forgot--within walking distance. I had a car and the QA is close to Hwy 10 and a straight shot to Baton Rouge.

The good next.

The free parking that was close almost always had a spot available. I once had to park on the street. I wasn't sure if I could park on Prytania, but it looked like I could. I just didn't want to intrude on the people who live around there, so I parked on Euchere. Most of the front desk staff were very helpful. I feel like I have new friends in New Orleans. One of the employees (Alphonso?) was amazing. He helped me with my bags, gave me some help with an odd request, and always had a smile. I want to make that point because some people don't recognize these people who are supposed to be behind the scenes.

You've got to wonder why I can't give five stars. Here's why.

Though there is free Wi-Fi, the Queen Anne's access is separate from the main hotel, the Prytania Park. I could not get on it. There was not a place in the room that gave the password, which could be placed in the information binder. I might have missed it, but I didn't see it. I went to the front desk--which is a block away, half down Prytania and half down the other block--to ask about it. The guy there was a little short on answering me. I didn't hear his one-word response correctly the first time he answered me. I told him that the statement wasn't helpful and to be more specific. He repeated his reply, I understood it, but got the real sense that he took me for being a dumb tourist. Upon request, he gave me the password for the Prytania Park access, presuming I was there. I walked back, tried it out, and it didn't work. Of course, I thought it was I who had the problem and did try to resolve it with him to no avail. I received a different password from another front desk person and it did not work. This person did that they would have to check with tech support to reboot the wi-fi. If I were on business, I would have been a little frustrated. The problem was that the QA has two or three wi-fi connections and the passwords might be different for them, which are different than for the PP. The PP access showed up on my device, but I could not use it. I used my own phone instead, which I did not want to do.

The night staff is sparse. I had a problem with a key. I would have had to walk the block to the front desk. I was tired and just did not want to walk. I called the front desk. The person there had to come to me, leaving the front desk. A sparse staff is acceptable for a hotel with lower expectations, but not for two properties where guests and staff have to walk a block to be accommodating.

I did not like the parking situation. The main parking lot is for all three properties. I didn't want to walk a block to get to my car. Yes, I didn't have to walk, but the other lot gives the impression that it was only for the Prytania Oaks guests. I want to say that there are about 15 spaces for cars. I did park there instead. That's no big deal, true, but you have to know that. Yes, I did find parking spots.

The Queen Anne is not (NOT) close to the main attractions: Bourbon Street, the French Quarter, the venues. They may be walking distance for some, but not for me. The good news is that the QA is away from the hubbub. When I wanted to sleep, I slept! I was very comfortable and I felt safe. The not-so-good news is that I wasn't familiar with the area. Yes, I could have researched, got a map, plotted my strategy, blah blah blah. It's not the fault of the QA; it's my own fault. However, I was told the QA was "a mile away" from the attractions.

It's a long mile.

I drove. Parking was $30 a day for lots that are close, cheaper that were not as close. I would consider a cab for travel in the future. Again, that's not their fault and it's not completely a bad thing.

The free breakfast? I have no idea why it ends at nine. I was not compelled to go because I was told it was not a hot-food breakfast, so why would I try to wake up for it? I went to a store and bought breakfast food instead.

Would I stay there again? Yes. Do the amenities the QA provides match the cost? I'll let you be the judge. Was it beautiful? Absolutely. This is the place to go for a getaway vacation. It's also the place for many of the attractions, but it's not as convenient as are the hotels that are on the other side of the expressway. That said, living at the QA was divine and I enjoyed it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lesia N
Hotels3, General Manager at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

THANK YOU for all the information about your stay and our neighborhood. I am truly humbled by your description of our rooms. I appreciate the information on the wi-fi, and will certainly look into seeing why it was not working. I know it was down for 2 days while we upgraded from DSL service to U-Verse service. Not sure if this was when you were in the house or not. However, I will address your conversations with the gentlemen at my Front Desk. They should have been more polite in their answers, and certainly, more informative as to the wi-fi service issue, and pass key issue. We put laminated cards in all the rooms on the desk as to the pass key codes. I will make sure the room you were in gets a new card since it seems your went missing.

Parking is available at the main lot, adjacent to Prytania Park, where you register, as well as the smaller lot across the street, adjacent to the Prytania Oaks. The Queen Anne does have 2 spaces in the rear, 1 of which is ADA Handicap reserved. There is street parking around the QA if you are lucky to get one. Being in a residental neighborhood, street parking is somehwhat limited as off street parking is very unusual for the Garden District itself.

Breakfast is served to 9, simply because we have found over the past many years, most of our guests are up and out very early to get started with their day. I am sorry that you missed it, and although it is not considered a "hot" breakfast, besides our standard "cold" items, we do serve waffles, and hot oatmeal and grits to warm your insides with your 1st morning cup of New Orleans Joe.

Next time you are in town, please stop by and introduce yourself, I would love to show you the rest of the QA.

Fondly,

There are newer reviews for Queen Anne Hotel

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Do not go to the Queen Anne. it's like going on an internet date when they don't look like their photos. They told us it was smoke free when we booked. But when we got to our room, it reeked off smoke and smelled like an ashtray. The room had stains everywhere and was overall disgusting. We asked to leave and not be charged, but the manager, Dori, refused and ended up charging us for one night anyways, despite us telling her we had smoke allergies. I asked her to please not charge me, this was my birthday trip. She smirked when I said this, charged my card, then said "Happy Birthday"! But that's not all. You should know that the hotel is in a bad part of town that's not close to anything. And you don't even check in at the hotel - you have to check in at another building (where you also have to park) that's like a quarter mile away. Plus they serve breakfast outside in the heat in this same building that's a quarter mile away from the hotel. We ended up staying at a nicer place. And there are plenty of nice places to stay at in NOLA. But this is not one of them people. It looks nice on the internet, but it's a lot older looking in person and a total dump. Don't go here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick20142014

Dear Readers,
Facts vs Fiction is always the other side of the story. It is amazing that guests think 1 mile ( 16 city blocks) to the French Quarter is basically in another city, and that 1 block to the Streetcar line is too far to walk. I am not going to stoop to his level and tell him to "Go to Hell " like he told me as he staggered out of the lobby, nor am I going to question his measurement of a 1/4 mile to registration as equivalent to 1 city block, from 1625 Prytania to 1525 Prytania.

I do wonder though, when booking through a 3rd party online site, do guests even read the details, research the food and entertainment around us, which there is plenty of options, compare location to French Quarter, or do they just look at where can I get the best price for what they want to pay, and what will give them the most bang for their buck, but yet, still expect French Quarter excitement, nightlife to be right at their door step without breaking a sweat, or taking a taxi cab ride for $8 bucks, if the streetcar is too far to walk to.

I am just going to wish him Happy 40th Birthday again, with a smile, as I did the day of arrival when he late canceled his 1 night reservation.

General Manger

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The room was awesome. Clean and beautiful . Parking was free but very limited . This was our first time at a bed and breakfast . Breakfast is only served from 7-9 and it is served outside in the heat. It was told to us on check in that breakfast was served across the street from our room. When we went to find it it was no where to be found. I called the front desk and the "continental breakfast " was served in an outside patio/breeze way with cramped quarters and limited seating. I thought bed and breakfasts normally serve meals inside in a dining room. For the price we paid you would have done better to have stayed at a chain motel

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank rgc920
Hotels3, General Manager at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliment on the room, however, I am a bit confused as to the other comments.
1. Limited parking? We have 2 parking lots. The main lot that has nearly 50+ spaces, which is where the main registration lobby is, you must have seen this one when you arrived, and the smaller, 2ndary lot, across from the Queen Anne that has 10 spaces. You could have parked in either one, both are Free of Charge.

Underestandably, most QA guest will of course seek a space across the street from the Mansion, for obvious reasons. However, that does not mean you could not park in the larger lot, that is about 50 yards further. We advise all QA guests of this. I am sorry that you did not understand this, and that caused you some grief.

2. Bed and Breakfast? I am not sure why you thought the QA was a B&B. No where do we state we are, no where do we market that we are, and no where does any of our property pictures show we are of such, nor are there any pictures of a "dining room" at the Queen Anne. Our website states we are a Limited Service hotel offers a Free Continental breakfast, and maybe you put two and two together to make the B&B idea?!?

We do serve an Expanded Continental breakfast across the street at our Sister property, The Prytania Oaks, from time to time. And, we do serve it down the street at our main property, The Prytania Park, from time to time. It will vary. I am sorry if you were given out the wrong information as to its location while you were with us, but most smaller hotels serve for a few hours only. We are a total of 88 rooms, 12 of which are at the Queen Anne.

There is plenty of seeing at both, and also at the Queen Anne courtyard. With the trays provided, many guests bring it back to their property to sit outdoors and enjoy the morning, before the heat of the day creeps in. There are not too many places where you can sit under enormous Live Oak trees, or amongst lush gardens in our courtyards, while sipping your morning cup of Joe, or a glass of cold OJ and eating light, but savory breakfast. How unique and unusual this is. This is the charm of staying in the Garden District,, in a Mansion and not a big concrete box hotel.

3. As far as the price you paid, you would doing better at a chain motel? Ouch- Really?!?. I am sure you will not find the quality furnishings, room appointments, lush bedding and bath linens at a chain motel, and certainly not with 14" ceilings, with a Solid Mahagony hand carved staircase that is over 150 years old , and rooms that have Antique Red Heart Pine floors. Also, one that offers you such a great value. Free Wi-Fi, Free Breakfast, Free Parking, Free Early Check in , a Free Guest accessible computer/printer, and all of this in a 7000 sqft Mansion under the canopy of Live Oak trees that are close to 200+ years, in one of Southeast Louisana's most prestigous neighborhoods.

If you do come across that, please do let me know, I would like to stay there too!

Happy Travels to you,
Fondly,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Prytania Oaks Hotel three years ago and liked it (especially with free parking). This time we decided to stay at the Queen Ann across the street.

The room is spacious and the ceiling is high. We like it better than the Prytania Oaks where rooms are smaller. The building has a certain historic charm. Only a couple of other people were staying so it was very quiet and we almost had the entire building to ourselves.

Also, now Prytania has a nice breakfast room! (See photos). The food quality has also improved. Three years ago the breakfast table was awkwardly set up outside and the breakfast was pretty bad.

We also love the location. Our favorite restaurants are in Uptown and you can go there by taking the streetcar on St. Charles or the bus on Magazine St, or strolling on Magazine St. like we did. Magazine St. is only a few blocks from the hotel and it has a lot of cute and funky stores.

Front desk people are not very friendly (one of them was almost rude)—this hasn’t changed! (If this improves, I would give five stars.) Beyond that, however, this is a wonderful place to stay at and this will our go-to hotel in NOLA!

Room Tip: If noise from Prytania St. bothers you (like me), ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalKuidaore
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Quiet and clean place to stay. Close to St. Charles Streetcar when you get tired of walking. Wish we had more time in New Orleans... I would definitely stay here again. Free continental breakfast at The Oaks across the street was nice as well.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

The room was very nice, comfy bed and clean. It is very close to St Charles Ave. and the streetcar, which is the best way to get around New Orleans. There is a Walgreen's nearby where you can buy the Jazzy pass for the streetcars. The only negative is that room service sucks. All they do is change the towels and make the bed and you never know at what time during the day they will show up.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Kdp55
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Room was clean, hotel was quiet, free parking, free breakfast, the streetcar was right there. Comfy bed with lots of pillows, hot water under pressure. Would give it 5/5 but housekeeping skipped me one day, got some towels from the front desk, plenty clean ones to start with and the ones they gave me were good, too. The toilet seat broke the last day! It had a crack in it when i got here and it broke the day i left. Toilet was immaculate, though. Also a couple of vending machines would be a good idea, maybe in the courtyard of the Oaks across the street. for $100/US i won't complain too hard. Would go again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends