“Perfect spot to relax & explore.”

Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel
Ranked #49 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I absolutely loved my stay at the Renaissance. I stayed there during the French Quarter Fest so I had to pay a pretty big rate but I was more than happy when I got there. The room was HUGE. One of the biggest I've stayed in, felt a bit of a waste being there all by myself ha.
Everything in the hotel looks great, it was always spotlessly clean and all the decor was very nice.
I thought it was in THE perfect location to explore New Orleans. It's in a quite part of town, about a 15 minute walk from the French Quarter, but it's a really nice walk and one that I really enjoyed every day. There's a great bar/restaurant across the road from the hotel that really gets buzzing most nights! There are also some great local restaurants near the hotel, which are a lot cheaper AND better than most around the French Quarter area.
I was in New Orleans during the French Quarter Fest and it was amazing! The weather was incredible too with most days hovering around 30 degrees! :D So each day I would go out and check the festival for a few hours, then return to the hotel for a swim in the rooftop poo, which is beautiful! The pool is great and the whole area is very relaxing and nice.
The gym is also fantastic! and even provides a fruit bowl, which I loved. I can't think of staying anywhere better in New Orleans. It's a very nice hotel in a really relaxing spot. It was great to be able to come home and totally unwind before heading back into the buzz of the French Quarter. I had a fantastic time! :D

Room Tip: Try get a room with a view to the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Efficient86
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed 22 May 2011

After booking through Travelocity, separately had to call the hotel directly to specify our preference for a king bed in a quiet part of the hotel (which would be the higher floors not on Tchoupitoulas Street in a room which does not have an adjoining door).

Hotel was great in many respects. We only have minor gripes which are:
(1) only able to book a "king or double" and while I was able to specify our preference for a king, we 'rolled the dice' in whether or not we would actually get a king. We did get a king upon arrival so all was fine.
(2) Housekeeping was a little slow to restock soap / tissues. Front desk was super quick in getting us soap / tissues when we requested.
(3) Bathroom standing area is a bit small
(4) Rooftop pool area could use a little more decor
(5) Concierge had recommended a nearby club for live cajun music and dancing on the corner of Julia and Convention Center Blvd. She didn't mention how early they might close on a Friday night (11am)
(6) We could hear the adjacent room's door slamming shut on occasion.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2011

The room size was fine - mine looked out onto the quirky sculpture garden, which was a plus. Bed was great, service was friendly. Bathroom was ok, and I didn't experience the water temperature or pressure problems described by other travelers. However, a magnifying mirror would have been welcome.
On the minus side, at the price they're charging, general upgrading is needed. There's no wireless internet, and the ethernet cable is short, so you can't use your computer while sitting on the bed. For this privilege, you pay $12.95 a night. Analog TV. A/C in the lobby and restaurant was turned up so high (and it was not hot outside) that it was uncomfortable to sit in the restaurant. Service there was friendly but extremely slow. At breakfast, there were at most three tables occupied, and it took several inquiries before a hostess appeared. No seating area in the lobby. Printer in the business center didn't work. The desk clerk offered to print my boarding pass, but this took about 10 minutes and involved his going back and forth from the desk to another room and apparently several printers. Not efficient.
The hotel is ok, but not at the prices they're charging.

3  Thank hester52
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I first stayed here just after it opened and it was lovely. Now however the rooms are OK - standard fare, the wireless internet does not work so you have to use wired (however youc an connect fro a charge to the Embassy Suites wireless for a fee which works greeat!) The standard of food is poor - I had room service on 2 occasions - the first time the shrimp were not properly cleaned and still had the black lines down the back, the second time the cheese plate came up without any of the extras specified on the menu - it was not eve worthy of a wallmart cheeseplate. The food in the concierge lounge is no better. You can hear everything going on in the rooms next door.I have stayed in other hotels in NO before and would not stay here again. There are plenty of other hotels nearby to choose from.

Room Tip: None - even for Platinum members
1  Thank JC1064
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at Renaissance Arts Hotel for the first time and found it perfectly adequate - but we agree we would stay elsewhere on our next visit. The location is terrific for the WW2 museum and within a pleasant 15- 20 minute walk to the heart of the French Quarter. The lobby area is beautiful, but there is insufficient seating if the public areas are being used as break/reception areas for conventions/meetings at the hotel while your room is being cleaned. Rooms were spacious and well appointed but the bathroom had no fan and poor water pressure. Maid service was high quality; concierge, bellhop and desk service was of very good quality but thin.

1  Thank londoncal
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I am at a large meeting at the Convention Center, and we had seven Marriott properties to choose from at convention rates. I got on TripAdvisor and picked this one because of the high ratings and favorable reviews. It's the first time I've been led astray by TripAdvisor.

I honestly don't get all the positive reviews. Yes, the lobby and public spaces are beautiful. My room, on the other hand, is small with shabby and worn furnishings and carpet, a small, old TV, and no wireless Internet. This means I can't watch a movie on my computer unless I want to sit at the desk. I am a Marriott Gold member and requested an upgrade prior to my arrival. When I checked in, I was told that they had upgrades available--for $50 a night. This was in direct violation of the benefits specified on the Marriott website.

I did get to use the "concierge lounge"--again, a disappointment. The carpet is stained, and the space was overrun by families with noisy children. I have kids myself, and I understand saving money on breakfast by taking the family to the lounge, but for adult travelers who want to have a quiet breakfast with the newspaper, maybe the attendant could ask the parents to keep the kids under control. I felt like I was eating at Chuck-E-Cheese. Even regular restaurant rules would have been an improvement.

The hotel was noisy; last night when I was trying to go to bed, there were more screaming kids in the hallway. I've stayed at the Times Square Marriott Marquis, and it was quieter than this--overlooking Times Square!

The service was indifferent. Housekeeping never came one day, even though I left my room at 9:30 a.m. and pushed the "Please Make Up Room" button. The printer at the boarding pass kiosk wasn't working, and when I went to the front desk to ask for help, I had to wait several minutes while the only front desk clerk finished chatting with another staff member.

I stayed at two Renaissance properties last year, one in Boston (Waterfront) for the same conference, and one in London (Chancery Court). They were both stunning--modern, well appointed, beautiful. I think of Renaissance as one step down from JW. This one does not measure up.

The last time I was here, I stayed at the Marriott across from the Convention Center. I couldn't get in there this time, but I would recommend it more highly than this one. I had a bigger, nicer room and better service.

I would not stay here again, and I would not recommend it. It is not worth the price (which even at convention rates was high), and it does not deserve the "Renaissance" brand. The only good things I can say are that it is close to the Convention Center, and the restaurant off the lobby is pretty good. Try the Louisiana stew.

3  Thank leftydana
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We arrived late and upgraded to a suite and since we were staying 6 nights it was worth it. We used the concierge lounge often for breakfast, snacks and even some dinners as we usually at a big lunch uptown. The room was well appointed but the carpet a bit worn. Our room was quite and the bed comfortable. The decor was "art-deco" so not overly plush but comfortable. We had no issues during the stay and the maid always did a great job cleaning up. My wife used the exercise room daily and said it was good. Several good restaurants nearby. We walked everywhere and felt it was well located to the French Quarter and the Convention Center. It was too cold during our stay in early February to enjoy the rooftop deck and pool but what a view! We did get up there our last night to enjoy "happy hour" all bundled up.
We would stay here again, even if not going to the convention center.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business