Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel
Ranked #48 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We saw such a good rate online ($89), so we decided to make our way to New Orleans during our road trip. We did not look closely at all the details and were a little shocked with all the additional fees when we got there. I can't lower the rating for that because it was our own fault, but I would like to point it out so that others can be prepared.

You are not allowed to park your own car. They will take your vehicle when you arrive, for a $28 charge, and park it in a place that you are not allowed to access. We had been to a few other downtown Marriott hotels previous to New Orleans and never encountered not being able to have access to our car. They stated that they would drive the car around if we needed it for anything, but that didn't really pan out the way they said.

Another charge that we were not prepared for was the fee for having the Internet in your room. ($12.95 per night using the cable or more $$ using wireless) We opted not to pay for it.

Most of the staff was very friendly, the art was interesting to look at around the hotel, and the place was very quiet. I don't think there were very many people staying there when we were there, which may explain the emptiness and quietness.

The elevator had some kind of sticky goo on the rails and spilled liquid on the floor for hours which kinda grossed me out every time I used it.

Overall, I was not as impressed with this Marriott as I've been with all the others I've stayed at, but it wasn't terrible.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank justrenren
Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed for a business-related trip in July - just four blocks away from the New Orleans Convention Center, about a half-mile from Canal Street, and (most important!!!!) about a mile from Cafe DuMonde.

Strikingly decorated with two atria (either side of the elevators), clean and relaxing. Great free breakfast, included with a room rate of $135. Public areas are all amazingly clean and well-kept; beautiful music piped in.

My room on the 3rd floor overlooked Tchoupitoulas Street. Even with all the late-night activity on the street, my room was quiet. The bed and linens were top-shelf and I slept like a rock! The room itself was good-sized and well appointed. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but still adequate.

A couple of minor things to point out: the water in the shower fluctuated from tepid to scalding; the shower curtain was almost too short to direct the water into the tub, and the carpet was fairly worn in the traffic areas. The closet door is on an auto-close hinge, making it difficult to choose an outfit! :)

However, the room was very clean and the furnishings were great.

Still - back to that old Marriott policy of charging for in-room Internet... Makes me crazy to have to pay for it! Free Wi-Fi in the comfortable lobby, where there is fresh citrus water for the taking.

Concierge & front desk staff were courteous and helpful. Bellhops remembered us from check-in, saying "welcome back" after we'd wandered down to the French Quarter.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank stefmo
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My husband and I thought it would be nice to go on a weekend vacation. Our world was turned upside down because of it. Due to the limited characters allowed on this review, I am unable to give all details however, I was drugged, raped and went missing for 4 hours. I was found in the fitness center restroom and received no assistance from security. Come to find out - it was an employee that performed the crime! That employee was friends with the NO Police Department and had the police department help cover up the crime. We are taking the necessary actions to ensure this doesnt happen again to anyone that makes the mistake of staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
21  Thank RaiseAwareness
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The hotel is great and the people working there are very kind too. It is very clean and it looks quite new also. We stayed for four nights. I gave the hotel four stars as the location (although it is good) is not excellent as the walk to the french quarter is a bit long and at night its not so convenient to be so far away from the restaurants and bars.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Our first trip to New Orleans. Stayed here over the Memorial Day holiday. Hotel was in a great location. Walked everywhere, Harrahs, French Qtr, etc. Hotel was very clean and a welcome site after spending the entire day exploring the city. Our room was spacious and I would definately stay here again. We stumbled back to the hotel at 3AM and felt just as safe as 3 in the afternoon. We did not explore the pool area or use valet service but service was very friendly at front desk. Always greeted as we arrived. Clean, quite, convienent location.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nine0Nine
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My family of 4 visited New Orleans for a wedding and I didn't want to stay in a high rise hotel or any where near Royal or Bourbon Streets with 2 young children. I found this hotel to be charming and in a great area. It was very quiet and still walking distance to everything you would want to see in the city!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I am amazed at the negative reviews below! My experience is, almost without exception, a good one. Simple, but important, first impressions.....like the fresh smell, calming music and art installations..... give the idea that this is an oasis from the hottest, muggiest of days. My room is comfortable and quiet (although I am glad I am in an interior room and not on the street) and perfectly serviced by the cleaning team. The WIFI is fast, reliable and included in the room rate, the business centre means you can print essential documents and the reception personnel are very helpful. My only gripe, if I had to find one, is the shower - it is either hot or cold and no amount of fine tuning gets it right! However, I didn't bother to report it so I can't blame the hotel. I plan to come back to N.O. on vacation and would definitely stay here if the price is right.

Room Tip: Inside room with no adjoining door.