“Renaissance Arts is a Great Choice in New Orleans”

Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel
Ranked #53 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Berkeley, CA
“Renaissance Arts is a Great Choice in New Orleans”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

OK, I've been meaning to write a review about our stay at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in New Orleans for some time now and even now I can still relish our stay at this splendid Warehouse District hotel which is a part of the Marriot family.

I had planned to go to New Orleans to take my 13 year old grandson who is fascinated with old school jazz and wanted to visit the real "birthplace of jazz" along with finding out how the people of New Orleans are faring after the horrors of Hurricane Katrina. I searched high and low to choose a place that would be best for traveling with a youngster and was thrilled to find that my research (along with reviews from the Trip Advisor members) landed us in just the right place.

Renaissance Arts Hotel is beautiful, and I'm not exaggerating. On arrival, you are greeted by the most friendly valet staff who open your car door and do a great job of really giving you that warm southern greeting without all the pretense. I love these guys! Now, getting real, the valet situation is very pricey ($30 day) and a little weird, the hotel does not have onsite parking, so they take you car down the street to a parking lot so when you need your car, best to call first as you can be waiting for 15 minutes or more to get it back. If your creative like me, you can find street parking all around the hotel, just need to either watch the meter or find non-metered spots and no worries, this is a very safe and nice area to walk around and park as it is in the restored warehouse arts district near many art galleries, restaurants, cafes and clubs so you could literally hang out in this neighborhood all day and night and have a great time away from The French Quarter and there is plenty of public transportation if you're not driving like we choose to do.
Now, back to the Renaissance Arts Hotel -- this restored warehouse space on Tchoupitoulas Street is big, spacious, modern and totally artsy. We loved the Chihuly glass pieces displayed in the lobby, quite unique and lends well to high ceilings and open space of the lobby area. Nice touch! They have a fabulous atrium, plenty of lounge spaces to sit and admire the lower level along with the seafood restaurant LaCôte Brasserie which features a transparent kitchen area where you can watch the chefs at work. Normally, I dislike hanging about the hotel but the Renaissance Arts is a definite exception to this rule.
The double room we booked was ready at our early arrival and was emasculate, spacious and nicely appointed with comfortable beds and a big bathroom too! Every amenity is offered at this 4 star property that nicely mimics a 5-star hotel. The front desk staff were a bit stuffy in comparison to the valets but overall, they do their jobs and are available when needed. For both my grandson and me, we loved the rooftop pool and whirlpool tub that overlooks the city and spent a lot of time basking in the sun on comfy lounge chairs and swimming before hitting the French Quarter for a day of fun.

Don't think twice if you're looking for a nice place to be during your trip to New Orleans and opt to stay at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in the warehouse arts district, especially if you don't relish staying in the noisy Quarter and prefer to find a respite from the havoc. This place is brilliant! We can't wait to plan another trip to stay here again, -- à bientôt!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Livonn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Cut Off, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This hotel is gorgeous! I would definately recommend to anyone traveling to the city. My husband and I spent a night here for his birthday and it was very romantic. It is in walking distance to many nice restaurants, the riverwalk, and harrah's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ahickman56
Maryland USA
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel due to a conference at the Convention Center. It is just a short walk and found this rate to be notably better than the Conference Hotel (Hilton). This modern hotel is quite well decorated, open air lobby and the rooms are particularly large.
Very clean and well maintained (it looks to be only a few years old). The fitness center is fine and there is a pool and hot tub on the roof.
Overall a surprisingly nice experience at a good price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jdieringer
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We saw such a good rate online ($89), so we decided to make our way to New Orleans during our road trip. We did not look closely at all the details and were a little shocked with all the additional fees when we got there. I can't lower the rating for that because it was our own fault, but I would like to point it out so that others can be prepared.

You are not allowed to park your own car. They will take your vehicle when you arrive, for a $28 charge, and park it in a place that you are not allowed to access. We had been to a few other downtown Marriott hotels previous to New Orleans and never encountered not being able to have access to our car. They stated that they would drive the car around if we needed it for anything, but that didn't really pan out the way they said.

Another charge that we were not prepared for was the fee for having the Internet in your room. ($12.95 per night using the cable or more $$ using wireless) We opted not to pay for it.

Most of the staff was very friendly, the art was interesting to look at around the hotel, and the place was very quiet. I don't think there were very many people staying there when we were there, which may explain the emptiness and quietness.

The elevator had some kind of sticky goo on the rails and spilled liquid on the floor for hours which kinda grossed me out every time I used it.

Overall, I was not as impressed with this Marriott as I've been with all the others I've stayed at, but it wasn't terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank justrenren
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed for a business-related trip in July - just four blocks away from the New Orleans Convention Center, about a half-mile from Canal Street, and (most important!!!!) about a mile from Cafe DuMonde.

Strikingly decorated with two atria (either side of the elevators), clean and relaxing. Great free breakfast, included with a room rate of $135. Public areas are all amazingly clean and well-kept; beautiful music piped in.

My room on the 3rd floor overlooked Tchoupitoulas Street. Even with all the late-night activity on the street, my room was quiet. The bed and linens were top-shelf and I slept like a rock! The room itself was good-sized and well appointed. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but still adequate.

A couple of minor things to point out: the water in the shower fluctuated from tepid to scalding; the shower curtain was almost too short to direct the water into the tub, and the carpet was fairly worn in the traffic areas. The closet door is on an auto-close hinge, making it difficult to choose an outfit! :)

However, the room was very clean and the furnishings were great.

Still - back to that old Marriott policy of charging for in-room Internet... Makes me crazy to have to pay for it! Free Wi-Fi in the comfortable lobby, where there is fresh citrus water for the taking.

Concierge & front desk staff were courteous and helpful. Bellhops remembered us from check-in, saying "welcome back" after we'd wandered down to the French Quarter.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stefmo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My husband and I thought it would be nice to go on a weekend vacation. Our world was turned upside down because of it. Due to the limited characters allowed on this review, I am unable to give all details however, I was drugged, raped and went missing for 4 hours. I was found in the fitness center restroom and received no assistance from security. Come to find out - it was an employee that performed the crime! That employee was friends with the NO Police Department and had the police department help cover up the crime. We are taking the necessary actions to ensure this doesnt happen again to anyone that makes the mistake of staying in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
21 Thank RaiseAwareness
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The hotel is great and the people working there are very kind too. It is very clean and it looks quite new also. We stayed for four nights. I gave the hotel four stars as the location (although it is good) is not excellent as the walk to the french quarter is a bit long and at night its not so convenient to be so far away from the restaurants and bars.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple